Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Yep, your attempt to have the final word is laughable.

Look, I am willing to help, here's some info which should be at your level: https://academickids.com/encyclopedia/index.php/Microeconomics

Although I'm not sure it covers oligopolies, the most common market structure in actually existing capitalist economies, but you can't say I'm not trying to fill in the gaps for you.

DS
special-kind-of-stupid_new.jpg

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There's a politics thread that's just dying for more memes

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There's little he or anyone can do at this stage to stop it. The chain reaction is going to play out to the end. Confining people to their homes in "the land of the free" is going to go over even worse than it has here.

Korea was infected the same day as the US. 158 deaths.

They are talking 200k in the US now.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Korea was infected the same day as the US. 158 deaths.

They are talking 200k in the US now.

Nowhere have I said the US has handled it well or defended Trump's management of it. Might even have been first to point out they're headed for disaster. Will just mention that when Trump restricted flights from China in early Feb, the Democrats labelled it fear-mongering and xenophobic. But there's a politics thread for that.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He's only telling the truth.
If 80,000 septics died of the flu in their 2017 / 2018 flu season then it would be completely rational to think that 100,000 septics might die from a similar type virus that there's no vaccine for.

10671 flu pneumonia victims in Oz 2015 / 2017 and there's not a squeak from anyone yet so far less than 20 coroner victims n we've virtually shut the country down.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Wouldn't bank a rollover yet. The drop in total new Australia cases since 27th of March is almost entirely due to the drop in repatriated cases to NSW.

View attachment 9686

True, however but even when you look at those blue, yellow and green bars they are similar or dropping too. The lack of exponential growth certainly shows we have stopped the spike, now its about ensuring that those blocks decline in size.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
anecdote

NOUN
  1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.
It is an anecdote because its an interesting story about a real incident or person, its just not useful data to explain the risks to the population.

Across all ages, flu kills more people than COVID, because it infects more people. But;

Flu is more lethal than COVID in under 30yo, the data is very clear., It infects more people and kills more people who catch it.
Flu is about as lethal as COVID in 30-60yo, with about the same deaths per lab confirmed case (I posted a paper reviewing 50 studies on flu epidemiology).
COVID is significantly more lethal than flu in cases over 60yo.

Quite simply the flu presents a greater risk to under 30yo and a similar risk to 30-60yo. Evidence suggests the young ones don't even transmit it very well.

So why are we shutting down the productive workforce and destroying millions of peoples livlihoods when the risk is less than the flu in that demographic and the older people can be protected by isolation?

Please don't pretend we are trying to save lives, or we would shut down childcare facilities because young children play large role in the transmission of flu and they die from it in significant numbers.

At best we are trying to stop a surge in critical case admissions, so given that virtually all the critical cases are in the over 60 demographic, this can be fixed by isolation of that deomographic at home.

Its beyond me, and makes me angry that just like Greenspans dotcom rescue, and the GFC rescue our kids will pay for years for something they had little role in creating.

In scientific discourse "anecdotes" are generally not considered "data". My point was simply that this case is a data point. Anecdotes are usually not confirmable and often devoid of data. The news story may well be "anecdotal" but the case it is reporting on is "data".

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Your lack of a reply with any content is revealing.

DS
Personally I would appreciate if Gia and yourself took the chat into a different thread.
Can I suggest a 'Economic theory and appreciation' or 'My Dad knows bigger economics than your Dad'
:)

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Personally I would appreciate if Gia and yourself took the chat into a different thread.
Can I suggest a 'Economic theory and appreciation' or 'My Dad knows bigger economics than your Dad'
:)

Yeah, fair enough, after all, the debating stopped a while ago.

I'll just ignore his next content-free post.

Still find the numbers in the US a concern, would be good to know their rate of testing as the numbers rise but we don't know whether they have got to the point of testing a lot of people.

DS