Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
This reminds me of the joke I once heard.

Q. What does a Collingwood supporter use for protection when she's having sex?
A. A Bus Shelter!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't see how social distancing can go back to how it was before a vaccine is made available. Can we last 12 months of this?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Can't see how social distancing can go back to how it was before a vaccine is made available. Can we last 12 months of this?

I don't think it will go back to what it was but some restrictions will be reduced, once we see new infections dropping to zero. The one thing I suspect will be restricted for at least 12 months is International travel.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The reason there are so few deaths is because we virtually closed the country down.
Virtually closed the world down. The question is not why so few deaths as yet, but why don't we shut the world down every year as the flu season rocks around? Flu kills *smile* loads of people every year n it's not interesting enough to raise a wet farts worth of excitement.

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
its arrived here 3 cases ppl traveling from Thailand more suspected ppl they were in contact with .. its in Gaborone atm that 1000 ks away thank goodness . but they just closed bottle shops ( the one thing we really need atm ) and were going on lock down Wednesday . the world has changed so much in a few weeks

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Virtually closed the world down. The question is not why so few deaths as yet, but why don't we shut the world down every year as the flu season rocks around? Flu kills **** loads of people every year n it's not interesting enough to raise a wet farts worth of excitement.

Flu season differs according to what hemisphere you live in

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Virtually closed the world down. The question is not why so few deaths as yet, but why don't we shut the world down every year as the flu season rocks around? Flu kills **** loads of people every year n it's not interesting enough to raise a wet farts worth of excitement.

simple - we have vaccines for the seasonal flu.

the reason that this pandemic is so deadly, despite the low death rate (in comparison with with world epedemics) is that carriers often have no symptoms. It spreads around completely undetected in a large percentage of the population and before you know it, everyone has it and the health system is struggling to look after those with more severe reactions.

Whereas other epidemics have very noticable symptoms, so the infected are quickly identified and isolated, and life goes on.

I'm pretty sure i've seen others explain this to you before. Its not that hard to grasp.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Even if you don't die, it's a *smile* of an illness. People here have been out into induced comas to manage the pain and discomfort

• Sad

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
here we go again

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I work in the public health system and this is way more dangerous than the normal flu. It’s arithmetic, on average a carrier infects 3 people instead of an average of 1.4 for the season flu. Extrapolate that out over time and you have your answer.
BTW the public health system ramps up to an enormous extent to handle the flu season every year.
If you don’t want to believe it then it’s up to you.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
simple - we have vaccines for the seasonal flu.

the reason that this pandemic is so deadly, despite the low death rate (in comparison with with world epedemics) is that carriers often have no symptoms. It spreads around completely undetected in a large percentage of the population and before you know it, everyone has it and the health system is struggling to look after those with more severe reactions.

Whereas other epidemics have very noticable symptoms, so the infected are quickly identified and isolated, and life goes on.

I'm pretty sure i've seen others explain this to you before. Its not that hard to grasp.
TM is pissed most of the time would forget most of the things that have been explained to him.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
He has the power to invoke the wartime law that allows the gov to dictate to companies what to build.
Yep I get that but he has
He has the power to invoke the wartime law that allows the gov to dictate to companies what to build.
Yep he's signed the Defense Production Act and talking crap on twitter but as yet he hasn't compelled any company to start making anything.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I work in the public health system and this is way more dangerous than the normal flu. It’s arithmetic, on average a carrier infects 3 people instead of an average of 1.4 for the season flu. Extrapolate that out over time and you have your answer.
BTW the public health system ramps up to an enormous extent to handle the flu season every year.

Someone just explained it on the programme on Channel 10 around isolation and it was really impactful. I didn't quite get the maths (and I'm a stats guy) but you get the gist.

Flu with the 1.4 once it gets to I think they said 10 transmissions down you've infected 14 people or it might have been 140, but Corona infects 59,000. The issue isn't that this is that much more devastating than the flu (its definitely worse) but the problem with it is the extreme level of infectiveness (not sure that's a word) is way way higher than the flu.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Plus the mortality rate for covid is 20+ times higher than flu.

B

Bill James

The WHO has already said explicitly that COVID does not spread as fast as the flu. Directly from the WHO situation update on 6th March.

Contation Rate.png

Yes the RO for COVID is about double the flu, which means you can pass it on to twice as many people.

BUT

The incubation period is longer, which means it takes longer before you can pass it on,

and

Pre-symptomatic transmission of the flu is likley, whereas pre-symptomatic (and asymptomatic) cases are not seen as major drivers of transmission of COVID

and

Socially mobile children who are important links in flu transmission do not appear to important in COVID transmission.

The maths says you might pass COVID onto twice as many people as the flu, but you will pass the flu on more than twice as fast which is why the WHO can confidently and explicitly say

"This means that influenza can spread faster than COVID 19".

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
COVID-19 causes more severe disease than seasonal influenza.

While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity. That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease.

Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Does the flu ever overwhelm health systems where people lie dying in hallways and makeshift hospitals built as we are seeing with covid?