Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
H1N1 is still out and abluts.

I have no reason not to believe it. Why would they want to fake this stuff? China, away from the main cities, is a very poor country with little infrastructure. If they've struggled to keep on top of the numbers is more likely due to inability as opposed to deceit.

Both.
They tried to keep this under raps Baloo. You only have to read early transcripts from a doctor who first came across this who was threatened and the Govt were trying to keep the threat hush hush when they couldn’t no longer they had to make it known.

Im with TOO.

Side note.
Mack Horton vindicated with Sun

8 years. Suffer

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
1. I’m hearing that China is still practicing the eating of what originally caused this and SARS.

2. just angry
Angry at our Givernments lacklustre response .

3. China & $
1. This is the actual world problem, people got to eat. 1.4 billion, just not right.

2. Some people are always angry. Would not matter one stuff as to what the governmemt did or didnt do it would create anger in opponents.

3. People got to eat. There and here, welfare is an option i guess but someone has to pay.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China/Diamond Princess (updated 11pm)

7,116 cases
118 deaths (1.66%)
166 severe (2%)
6,326 mild (89%)
506 recovered (7%)

Ireland, Luxembourg, Ecuador and Qatar new members of the club which now contains almost a third of the world's nations. WHO announcement surely imminent.

First Australian death announced, 78yo West Australian from Diamond Princess.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
First death in the US from the Coronavirus.
Trump says that there's no problem with the Coronavirus in the US.
They aren't testing people for it, that's why there's no problem,Trump is going to mess up his lovely hair if he keeps burying his head in the sand.

How does U.S. testing compare with other countries?
Not well. While the U.S. has tested less than 500 cases, U.K. health officials have conducted more than 7,100 coronavirus tests as of Wednesday, confirming 13 positive cases, and U.K. authorities have announced aggressive plans to test thousands more, including drive-thru coronavirus testing. South Korea, which is battling the largest known outbreak outside of China, already has drive-thru testing in place and the country’s health officials have already conducted more than 30,000 coronavirus tests — mostly within the last week. And just one province in Canada, Ontario, has already conducted more tests (629) than in the entire U.S.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
The Petrie dishes of the sea.
My brother spent a lot of his working life at sea. Said it was impossible to restrict infection between crew members.
You could end up being right of course, but I reckon the PM activating a national emergency plan tells you all you need to know. He might be pre-empting the WHO so he doesn't look like he's been slow to move, but it hasn't happened before in my lifetime.

Then there is this, which to me seems a concession of defeat.

Questions over home isolation rules for Chinese students returning to Australia
Sue Dunleavy, Natalie Wolfe, Ellen Whinnett
Herald Sun
February 27, 2020

Government guidelines are telling quarantined Chinese students to “walk quickly” past members of the public under loose rules that could potentially spread the deadly coronavirus.

Hundreds of Chinese Year 11 and 12 school students hosted by Aussie families are expected to arrive in Australia shortly to continue their studies but they will have to be in home isolation for 14 days after arriving from China.

The students will be living in the same household as Australian families who are allowed out into the community to go to work and to school every day – even though they are cohabiting with someone who potentially has the coronavirus.

The slack quarantine rules recommend the Chinese student stays in their own room and to “walk quickly “if they have to cross commonly used spaces in the hosts home.

If possible they should use their own bathroom but this is not compulsory.

“If the student lives in an apartment it is also safe for them to go outside into the garden while wearing a surgical mask. They should, however, go quickly through any common areas on the way to the garden. They should wear a surgical mask if they have to move through these areas,” the guidelines said.

State and federal governments last week agreed to lift the travel ban to allow Chinese students enrolled in Year 11 and 12 courses in Australia into the country because of strict rules that require them to physically attend school to gain their qualification.

Students from Hubei province in China, the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, will not be allowed into Australia under the relaxation of the rule.

Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan estimated around 760 Chinese students could be allowed into Australia if they met strict criteria including being tested for the virus before they left China and again when they arrived here.

They must then undergo home isolation for 14 days before being allowed to attend school.

Victoria’s Education Minister James Merlino has said there are 389 Chinese students enrolled in the state’s VCE that could come to Australia as a result of the rule change.

In New South Wales the number is around 153 and other state and territories have a smaller number.

Victorian Government quarantine rules state the families that host these students do not have to quarantine themselves from the community nor do they even have to wear a mask while in the community.

“Other members of the household are not required to be isolated unless they have also travelled to mainland China in the past 14 days, or have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19. Other members of the household do not need to wear a mask at any time,” the guidelines issued by Victoria’s Department of Health state.

Federal Department of Health guidelines for students say students in isolation only need to wear a mask when they develop symptoms of the virus and when this happens should try to use a separate bathroom.

“Do not see visitors. Where possible, ask others such as friends or family, who are not required to be isolated, to get food or other necessities,” the federal guidelines state.

Griffith University Infectious diseases exert Paul Van Buynder said the guidelines were working on the principle that the virus was only transmitted once a person began displaying symptoms.

“It’s totally dependent on how well we are monitoring them,” he said.

“If they can’t transmit until they have symptoms it is safe.”
why aren't we using all those on shore detention centres that are sitting idle? These kids could be fully tested and monitored. Even work on their studies together.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
In the US, there’s always the risk of people not getting tested due to fear of medical bills. The Miami Herald reported that a man who had traveled to China and developed flu-like symptoms after returning home was charged $3,270 for diagnostic tests at the hospital (it turned out he had the flu). It’s easy to envision a scenario where many sick people avoid getting tested for Covid-19 because they fear what it’ll cost.

Great health system that you have got over there Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Where is @Baloo to complain about the politicisation of this topic which affects us all?

Not sure what you're talking about, but if you want to have a dig maybe do it in some of the other threads.

You know I live in SE Asia with my family. COVID-19 is serious *smile* to me.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure what you're talking about, but if you want to have a dig maybe do it in some of the other threads.

You know I live in SE Asia with my family. COVID-19 is serious **** to me.

You're forever complaining that people are making things about left and right (with the complaints often directed at me). Thought you'd be all over this.

I'm just annoyed that people are coming here to spill their TDS bile, is all.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You're forever complaining that people are making things about left and right (with the complaints often directed at me). Thought you'd be all over this.

OK. Let me try to keep things balanced and fair.

I’m still trying to decide if trump is a cyborg or a large hamster?

Large hamster, but really nothing to do with the COVID-19 outbreak. Plenty of evidence already on the US Politics thread.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
In the US, there’s always the risk of people not getting tested due to fear of medical bills. The Miami Herald reported that a man who had traveled to China and developed flu-like symptoms after returning home was charged $3,270 for diagnostic tests at the hospital (it turned out he had the flu). It’s easy to envision a scenario where many sick people avoid getting tested for Covid-19 because they fear what it’ll cost.

Great health system that you have got over there Trump.
Good point. I also heard they were charging people for their involuntary quarantine hospital stays.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I'm in Abu Dhabi 5 mins from Yas Island which is the tourist hot spot out these ways. Over the weekend 3 hotels were in quarantine lockdown due to an Italiaqn cycling team testing positive and it was reported a family within our complex was also suspected of the virus. I'll keep you guys posted but I'm in a pretty good position now to see how bad this virus is.

Reactions: 2 users