Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China/Diamond Princess (updated at midnight)

4,359 cases
75 deaths (1.72%)
103 severe (2%)
3,794 mild (87%)
387 recovered (9%)

No numbers from Italy today.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
There are plenty of examples of things that kill more people but the actions now are not about what Covid-19 is now not what it could be.
if 100 million people are infected 2-3 million people will die and if we (the all of us we) don’t take the sort of actions that are happening now.
I am working in and around public health and believe me the actions being taken and planning is way out of proportion to what it is now and if the worst case doesn’t happen it will be because of these actions, not because it can’t happen.
The danger is in countries with poor public health systems and to me it is incumbent on rich countries to help them, if not for any other reason but to protect ourselves given the global movement of people these days.
So even with your scenario of perhaps maybe 100 million people getting infected n 2-3 million people dying ( this is on the presumption I guess that we don't get a vaccination anytime soon? ). In a world population of near enough 8 billion people it's still small change by comparison to the self inflicted disasters I listed n barely dramatic enough to get excited about.
Wouldn't even put a hiccup in the rate of population expansion the world is struggling to cope with at the moment.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
So even with your scenario of perhaps maybe 100 million people getting infected n 2-3 million people dying ( this is on the presumption I guess that we don't get a vaccination anytime soon? ). In a world population of near enough 8 billion people it's still small change by comparison to the self inflicted disasters I listed n barely dramatic enough to get excited about.
Wouldn't even put a hiccup in the rate of population expansion the world is struggling to cope with at the moment.
Sure but that’s not a reason to not take COVID-19 seriously it’s a reason to take the other things seriously as well. Anything that is avoidable that costs human life is a tragedy

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Need to give CV a chance. Most countries are only just now getting a taste. China's being going for three months and are starting to reel it in as a result of extreme measures. Not sure what happens regarding international travel once they get the infection rate down to zero.

Vaccines take time to test properly. I've seen some recent estimates of six months, but that would be abnormally quick. Perhaps even unsafe.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sure but that’s not a reason to not take COVID-19 seriously it’s a reason to take the other things seriously as well. Anything that is avoidable that costs human life is a tragedy

Plus a massive hit on the economy affects everyone, sooner or later.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Plus a massive hit on the economy affects everyone, sooner or later.

Antman that’s right.
was just going to post the above.

Just heard we incurred our biggest hit.
200 billion $ of the share market.

our reliance on everything China is of major concern.
I mean even the supply of masks is from China.

I’m hearing that China is still practicing the eating of what originally caused this and SARS. Doctors and Police are travelling to villages to continue education and more. Could be wrong ???

Hortons name rights on swimming centre ( looks being changed ) as to not upset this prestigious schools Chinese students or more like $.

the historic Olympic Games could be cancelled in Japan.
japans government has taken drastic measures and closed schools.

The WHO is holding back from declaring a pandemic.

I understand TM ‘a stats on deaths through mans attitude to power and brutality. I mean the Holocaust and Hitlers atrocities were 10’s of millions.

I know on the scale of things it’s minute on TM’s statistical info but a death is a death. Nearly 3000 now and climbing.

You can see that hysteria will soon grip the world.

just angry
Angry at our Givernments lacklustre response .

China & $

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Banning is one thing, stopping people actually doing it is another... but it's a start

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Case count excluding China/Diamond Princess (updated 11pm)

5,731 cases
92 deaths (1.61%)
118 severe (2%)
5,039 mild (88%)
482 recovered (8%)

Look at those numbers fly!

If the current increase of ~30% per day is maintained, there will be a million non-Chinese infected in 20 days.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Does anyone seriously believe any data comes out of China re their slowing of cases/deaths?
They had their chance to tell the truth at a critical stage & because they didn't, their reputation for honesty is now mud in the wake of this global disaster.
Not that it was in much doubt beforehand.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Looks like Trump is going to struggle with his usual blame game tactics, the spin is not going to work when it comes to the Corona Virus.
This is one time that I hope that his lies are the truth.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
H1N1 is still out and abluts.
Does anyone seriously believe any data comes out of China re their slowing of cases/deaths?
They had their chance to tell the truth at a critical stage & because they didn't, their reputation for honesty is now mud in the wake of this global disaster.
Not that it was in much doubt beforehand.

I have no reason not to believe it. Why would they want to fake this stuff? China, away from the main cities, is a very poor country with little infrastructure. If they've struggled to keep on top of the numbers is more likely due to inability as opposed to deceit.