Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Yep, the premier in charge of the worst performing state should be at work. The PM is in the state that didn’t handle it as badly so gets to go to the footy.

Well there is also the point that he claimed to be spending the time with his wife and kids.

So the photo of comparing Scotty and Danny was to illustrate “we“ are not out of this by a long way? Sure, I’ll go with that.....

But certainly agree we need good leadership right now. 100%.

Yeah it was about both points, long way to go and we need leadership. You can interpret it in other ways if you want.

I know this thread is political and I've been part of that but we just need to buckle down now.

Reactions: 1 user
Wishing that anyone commits suicide, particularly a bloke who is putting heart and soul into his work is beyond the pale in my view.

Don't recall anyone on here wishing that on Morrison either.
Yeh, Lee should take that back, you can be passionate about the subject but just not necessary to talk that way.

EcpMkr_VAAAV6O2
Looks like he's studying the form guide? Perhaps looking at Covid-lotto results?

• Haha
If Dan and his band of merry men and women hadn’t have *smile* up hotel quarantine so badly he might be able to go the footy as well. Does he even like footy? Who does he support?

Not that he’s missing anything with the *smile* show on display this season.

Reactions: 1 users
WHO inquiry won’t visit Wuhan lab

The World Health Organisation (WHO) is under fire from scientists over indications that its planned mission to China to investigate the origins of Covid-19 will not visit a secretive laboratory that researches coronaviruses in Wuhan, the city at the centre of the outbreak.

Questions about the activities of the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a renowned centre of coronavirus expertise, were raised by an Insight investigation in The Sunday Times last week.

It revealed that a potentially deadly coronavirus that is the world’s closest known relative to Covid-19 was analysed by scientists from the institute after traces of it were found in an abandoned copper mine in 2013 in southern China. The alarm was raised after six workers called in to clear bat faeces from the mine fell ill with a mysterious respiratory disease; three of them died.

Yet to the dismay of some scientists the WHO indicated that its mission, being prepared by two of its experts who flew to Beijing last week, would look only at “the zoonotic source” of the outbreak. This was an implicit acceptance of China’s preferred theory that the virus jumped naturally from animals to humans from part of a market in Wuhan selling exotic animals for meat.
I think I we can safely say that this is because of the Chinese Government and not by choice. The WHO and others have been negotiating with China for a long time on this.

Agree. She's an awful piece of work. Not sure parasite is the right word though. She is toxic.
A number of years ago I was arriving at melbourne airport and was walking outside about to enter the terminal. A white government car pulled up and a woman opened the passenger door and basically pushed me away to allow the other passenger to get out of the backseat of the car. I had no idea who she was and said “ don’t be so bloody rude” and pushed past her.
I looked back and saw Tony Abbott get out of the car with the door being held open by the woman who I now know to be Peta Credlin.
It was before Abbott was PM, it was when he was Health Minister.

Somebody on another thread asked about testing numbers in each state, so I went to the ABC Coronavirus data page and here's what I found, note that I am using the 7 day moving average figures as that irons out the inconsistencies for days of the week, and the moving average is for 12 July (must be a trailing average for the last 7 days):

NSW: 13,850 tests and 7 day average moving down
Vic: 28,177 tests and the 7 day average moving up
Qld: 4,452 tests and down from a couple of weeks ago, with a little rise recently but hard to tell which way it is going, number down today but it is Sunday.
WA: 2,743 tests and the 7 day average going down
SA: 2,034 tests and the 7 day average going up
ACT: 726 tests and the 7 day average going up
Tas: 599 tests, going down but possibly starting to rise
NT: 316 tests and flat

Apart, possibly, from NSW, the rest of the states would have trouble finding cases with these numbers. They need to be testing more to see what's going on.

DS

Apart, possibly, from NSW, the rest of the states would have trouble finding cases with these numbers. They need to be testing more to see what's going on.

After two months with very few cases between them, they should only need to increase testing if Victorians or overseas travellers are coming in.

Somebody on another thread asked about testing numbers in each state, so I went to the ABC Coronavirus data page and here's what I found, note that I am using the 7 day moving average figures as that irons out the inconsistencies for days of the week, and the moving average is for 12 July (must be a trailing average for the last 7 days):

NSW: 13,850 tests and 7 day average moving down
Vic: 28,177 tests and the 7 day average moving up
Qld: 4,452 tests and down from a couple of weeks ago, with a little rise recently but hard to tell which way it is going, number down today but it is Sunday.
WA: 2,743 tests and the 7 day average going down
SA: 2,034 tests and the 7 day average going up
ACT: 726 tests and the 7 day average going up
Tas: 599 tests, going down but possibly starting to rise
NT: 316 tests and flat

DS
DS
I don’t disagree but the question is how? When there is little evidence of the virus in a state the only way to get testing up is to have mobile testing units like we have had in Victoria because the population are just not going to get tested voluntarily. In Victoria we are getting tested more because of the number of cases plus we have the ramp up in the towers and elsewhere.
voluntary testing at testing stations has gone through the roof in Victoria since the spike. It’s cause and effect.

200K cases per day worldwide. With people having enough of social distancing and lockdowns don't think it can be contained any more.

Just on the virus having an element of chance, Prof Tony Blakely (Melbourne University) wrote an article in The Herald Sun and appeared on their daily news podcast The Splash last Friday where he argued exactly the same thing as that other academic. Listening to the podcast he states it has an element of chance by its nature given asymptomatic carriers. The article is behind a paywall but the podcast is available to listen for free here, its the Friday episode: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/podcasts/the-splash

Last edited:
Just on the virus having an element of chance, Prof Tony Blakely (Melbourne University) wrote an article in The Herald Sun and appeared on their daily news podcast The Splash last Friday where he argued exactly the same thing as that other academic. Listening to the podcast he states it has an element of chance by its nature given asymptomatic carriers. The article is behind a paywall but the podcast is available to listen for free here, its the Friday episode: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/podcasts/the-splash

Yeah. Of course there's an element of chance, I can't understand why this is even contentious.

And this is why contact tracing and the quarantine becomes incredibly important for every case found.

177 new cases today, down from yesterdays peak of 273.

Yeah. Of course there's an element of chance, I can't understand why this is even contentious.

And this is why contact tracing and the quarantine becomes incredibly important for every case found.

Apparently VIC number plates slogans are being changed to

VICTORIA-The Unlucky State.

• Haha
How's the idiotic complacency of Sydneysiders rubbing shoulders at the pub. "Those stupid Victorians. Lucky we're so smart and have beaten this thing. Your shout, mate! Give us a kiss!"

Reactions: 2 users