Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
That’s disturbing, someone needs to be held accountable at the top for this.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Patient who believed pandemic was a hoax dies after attending COVID party

A coronavirus patient in his 30s has died from COVID-19 after attending a ‘COVID party’, a San Antonio health official said.

“This is a party held by somebody diagnosed (with) the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr Jane Appleby, the Chief Medical Officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’,” Dr Appleby said.

COVID parties are a trend in the US among college students and younger adults, where attendees try to get infected with coronavirus by mixing with an already infected person at a party. Some of these parties include a cash prize for the first person to return a positive result.

Dr Appleby said the trend across the US is most popular with people who do not know whether to believe coronavirus is real.

She said the patient, who lived in Bexar County in the Texan city of San Antonio, had become critically ill before his death. She said the unnamed man told his nurses about the party, which had been hosted by someone diagnosed with COVID-19, according to The Independent.

Dr Appleby told the patient’s story as the number of coronavirus cases in the county spikes.

“It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible,” she said.

“I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

In her county the rate of people returning a positive result for COVID-19 has jumped to 22 per cent.

She said it was a “concerning increase” from several weeks ago, when the rate was at about five per cent.

In the city there are more than 19,100 cases of coronavirus.
The Darwin Principle in action.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I hope i dont seem condescending,

If i share one of my central strategies for navigating civilization, unsolicited?

It goes like this: assume every human in any position of power or authority is an incompetant *smile* who has found themselves out of their depth and will say or do anything to hide their confusion and fraud.

With this as your default, while cynical and lonely, you are pleasantly surprised almost daily, and rarely dissapointed.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
As new information keeps popping up about our Hotel Quarantine my blood boils even more :mad:

Maybe we need categories of luck to classify different events associated with Covid-19.

Plain unlucky which is coronavirus itself and everyone on the planet has been exposed to it

Really Unlucky which is Cedar meats type situations that have an element of plain unlucky combined with some incompetence associated with Really unlucky

and then Extremely Unlucky which is hotel quarantine in VIC (Ruby Princess probably falls between Really Unlucky & Extremely Unlucky given it was pretty early in the piece)

Most states just got plain unlucky and have seemed to cope.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Patient who believed pandemic was a hoax dies after attending COVID party

A coronavirus patient in his 30s has died from COVID-19 after attending a ‘COVID party’, a San Antonio health official said.

“This is a party held by somebody diagnosed (with) the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr Jane Appleby, the Chief Medical Officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’,” Dr Appleby said.

COVID parties are a trend in the US among college students and younger adults, where attendees try to get infected with coronavirus by mixing with an already infected person at a party. Some of these parties include a cash prize for the first person to return a positive result.

Dr Appleby said the trend across the US is most popular with people who do not know whether to believe coronavirus is real.

She said the patient, who lived in Bexar County in the Texan city of San Antonio, had become critically ill before his death. She said the unnamed man told his nurses about the party, which had been hosted by someone diagnosed with COVID-19, according to The Independent.

Dr Appleby told the patient’s story as the number of coronavirus cases in the county spikes.

“It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible,” she said.

“I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

In her county the rate of people returning a positive result for COVID-19 has jumped to 22 per cent.

She said it was a “concerning increase” from several weeks ago, when the rate was at about five per cent.

In the city there are more than 19,100 cases of coronavirus.
I guess that’s kharma in a way but it’s also a tragedy for such a young man. Too big a price to pay for being an idiot

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I guess that’s kharma in a way but it’s also a tragedy for such a young man. Too big a price to pay for being an idiot

You could argue that a young idiot has alot more idiocy ahead of him than an old idiot and normal rules of sorrow dont apply?

I wouldnt, but id listen carefully.

There will be a few climate hoax partys inundated in this next few years.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

He wouldn't have lasted much longer with that mindset. If he travelled to Aus he'd be one of those yanks eaten by a croc because he didn't believe the No Swimming, Crocodiles in Water signs.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's all a bit infuriating really. I just wish we'd locked down harder initially with the goal of elimination but the Gov for some bizarre reason never considered that approach.
That may not have prevented some outbreaks like the FU with quarantine but it would have been better than this limbo living we have now.
It seems too late for that possibility now with community transmission so rampant.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Even from the start the best countries could hope for is to stretch out the infection period so the medical infrastructure wouldn't collapse. With Covid around for possibly another 36 to 48 months there will be wave after wave.

This is the new normal for a while.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don’t know if it has been said elsewhere on here but there was a very interesting quote from Brett Sutton yesterday. He stopped short of saying this was the case (because they don’t actually know yet) but he said that it is feasible that the current spike has come from the one source.
The fact that he said it just shows me how dangerous this virus actually is.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's all a bit infuriating really. I just wish we'd locked down harder initially with the goal of elimination but the Gov for some bizarre reason never considered that approach.
That may not have prevented some outbreaks like the FU with quarantine but it would have been better than this limbo living we have now.
It seems too late for that possibility now with community transmission so rampant.

I have found the mask messaging bizzare in the extreme.

Message 1. Masks dont help, dont wear them.
Message 2. Masks can actually make you more vulnerable through creating false security
Message 3. Masks prevent an infected person spreading but not a healthy person receiving
Message 4. Masks prevent transfer both ways.

Now theres no way that virologists and epidemiologists can have gone from flat earth to round earth in 120 days. They know how big the virus is and they know the weft of a mask.

The only explanation is weve been played like patsys. Like a real life Leunig cartoon.

And i reckon thats infuriating

If ever there was a time for truth telling, surely its been 2020?

How can you maintain faith in expert advice when it seems strategic porkys have been projected?

Messages 1-3 never made sense to me. If they were true, it meant every health professional on the continent went from being an outlaw, to stupid, to having Covid?

I wonder if they'lle revise 'we are all in this together' at some stage and go 'the experts tell us, its every man for himself'?

They may yet hold state sanctioned dunny paper fights-to-death on The McG?

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I have found the mask messaging bizzare in the extreme.

Here's a mask explanation that made plenty of sense to me.

460x1240.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users