Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

im not sure why the numbers of Australians returning to Australia are being restricted.
Surely the outbreaks in Victoria are only due to incompetence and the others states will be able to handle things correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to say only in America but am sure we have our own non-believers:

New York: A 30-year-old man who believed the coronavirus was a hoax and attended a "COVID party" died after being infected with the virus, according to a Texas hospital.

The man had attended a gathering with an infected person to test whether the coronavirus was real, said Dr Jane Appleby, chief medical officer at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio, where the man died.

How's the idiotic complacency of Sydneysiders rubbing shoulders at the pub. "Those stupid Victorians. Lucky we're so smart and have beaten this thing. Your shout, mate! Give us a kiss!"
Yep bloody dickheads and hopefully it doesn’t cause an explosion up there. Reminds me of that stupid woman who was interviewed at the start of the second wave in Victoria and said “oh we thought it was over”.

How's the idiotic complacency of Sydneysiders rubbing shoulders at the pub. "Those stupid Victorians. Lucky we're so smart and have beaten this thing. Your shout, mate! Give us a kiss!"

Just on that IMO as controversial as it may be I don't think this is the time that pubs should be open.
If there's any environment where social distancing measures are going to be compromised it's when people are drinking alcohol.

I honestly can't believe I just typed that.:nono

Reactions: 2 users
Patient who believed pandemic was a hoax dies after attending COVID party

A coronavirus patient in his 30s has died from COVID-19 after attending a ‘COVID party’, a San Antonio health official said.

“This is a party held by somebody diagnosed (with) the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr Jane Appleby, the Chief Medical Officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’,” Dr Appleby said.

COVID parties are a trend in the US among college students and younger adults, where attendees try to get infected with coronavirus by mixing with an already infected person at a party. Some of these parties include a cash prize for the first person to return a positive result.

Dr Appleby said the trend across the US is most popular with people who do not know whether to believe coronavirus is real.

She said the patient, who lived in Bexar County in the Texan city of San Antonio, had become critically ill before his death. She said the unnamed man told his nurses about the party, which had been hosted by someone diagnosed with COVID-19, according to The Independent.

Dr Appleby told the patient’s story as the number of coronavirus cases in the county spikes.

“It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible,” she said.

“I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

In her county the rate of people returning a positive result for COVID-19 has jumped to 22 per cent.

She said it was a “concerning increase” from several weeks ago, when the rate was at about five per cent.

In the city there are more than 19,100 cases of coronavirus.

Everyone in sydney has been a *smile* since about 1788

And dont get me started on adelaide

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Patient who believed pandemic was a hoax dies after attending COVID party

A coronavirus patient in his 30s has died from COVID-19 after attending a ‘COVID party’, a San Antonio health official said.

“This is a party held by somebody diagnosed (with) the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected,” Dr Jane Appleby, the Chief Medical Officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital said.

“Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said ‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’,” Dr Appleby said.

COVID parties are a trend in the US among college students and younger adults, where attendees try to get infected with coronavirus by mixing with an already infected person at a party. Some of these parties include a cash prize for the first person to return a positive result.

Dr Appleby said the trend across the US is most popular with people who do not know whether to believe coronavirus is real.

She said the patient, who lived in Bexar County in the Texan city of San Antonio, had become critically ill before his death. She said the unnamed man told his nurses about the party, which had been hosted by someone diagnosed with COVID-19, according to The Independent.

Dr Appleby told the patient’s story as the number of coronavirus cases in the county spikes.

“It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible,” she said.

“I don’t want to be an alarmist, and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realise that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.”

In her county the rate of people returning a positive result for COVID-19 has jumped to 22 per cent.

She said it was a “concerning increase” from several weeks ago, when the rate was at about five per cent.

In the city there are more than 19,100 cases of coronavirus.
I hope they bury him in his MAGA cap

Reactions: 1 users
Bachar Houli has just announced that his mum is fighting for her life in ICU. I hope she pulls through.

Also a very selfless thing Bachar is doing by speaking about and increasing the education that we need around social distancing.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Strange. 9 News are reporting about the procedures being followed around schools going back. Students need mandatory temperature tests before entering the school, but teachers don't? Why shouldn't the temperature test be required for all? I'm confused.

Strange. 9 News are reporting about the procedures being followed around schools going back. Students need mandatory temperature tests before entering the school, but teachers don't? Why shouldn't the temperature test be required for all? I'm confused.

Because temperature testing is an ineffective measure and has only been introduced to make people feel as if VCE students returning to school is safe when it isn't.

FWIW staff at our school are also temperature tested.

Reactions: 2 users
Because temperature testing is an ineffective measure and has only been introduced to make people feel as if VCE students returning to school is safe when it isn't.

FWIW staff at our school are also temperature tested.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the measure to test, it just seemed weird that official guidance only mandates the testing of students and not teachers.

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the measure to test, it just seemed weird that official guidance only mandates the testing of students and not teachers.

It's consistent with the half measures that continue to be put in place in regards to schools.
"'It's safe for students to be at school, but we're stopping them from being at school."
"Students will learn from home, but the students most at risk (senior students) will go."
"Students don't need to socially distance, but we need to make sure they don't interact with each other socially"
"You should wear masks if you can't socially distance, but we can't require students to wear masks."

DS
I don’t disagree but the question is how? When there is little evidence of the virus in a state the only way to get testing up is to have mobile testing units like we have had in Victoria because the population are just not going to get tested voluntarily. In Victoria we are getting tested more because of the number of cases plus we have the ramp up in the towers and elsewhere.
voluntary testing at testing stations has gone through the roof in Victoria since the spike. It’s cause and effect.

I understand all of that, but if you want to find out if it really is under control you could try some random testing. The numbers are very low in some states so the claim of no cases is less certain.

DS

It's consistent with the half measures that continue to be put in place in regards to schools.
"'It's safe for students to be at school, but we're stopping them from being at school."
"Students will learn from home, but the students most at risk (senior students) will go."
"Students don't need to socially distance, but we need to make sure they don't interact with each other socially"
"You should wear masks if you can't socially distance, but we can't require students to wear masks."

I reckon one of the biggest risks with schools is parents dropping them off, having a natter at the school gate, going to a cafe after etc.

I'm not sure on schools, but, if they allow the kids to go back to school - no drop offs, parents must stay at least 500m (or more) away from the school unless they live within 500m, in which case the kids can make their own way there.

DS

Immunity to Covid-19 could be lost in months, UK study suggests

People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people marshalled a “potent” antibody response at the height of their battle with the virus, only 17% retained the same potency three months later. Antibody levels fell as much as 23-fold over the period. In some cases, they became undetectable.

“People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it’s waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around,” said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King’s College London.

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of “herd immunity” in the community over time.

The immune system has multiple ways to fight the coronavirus but if antibodies are the main line of defence, the findings suggested people could become reinfected in seasonal waves and that vaccines may not protect them for long.

“Infection tends to give you the best-case scenario for an antibody response, so if your infection is giving you antibody levels that wane in two to three months, the vaccine will potentially do the same thing,” said Doores. “People may need boosting and one shot might not be sufficient.”

Early results from the University of Oxford have shown that the coronavirus vaccine it is developing produces lower levels of antibodies in macaques than are seen in humans infected with the virus. While the vaccine appeared to protect the animals from serious infection, they still became infected and may have been able to pass on the virus.

Speaking on Sky News, Prof Robin Shattock of Imperial College London said a competing vaccine developed by his group could be available in the first half of next year if clinical trials go well. But he cautioned there was “no certainty” any of the vaccines in development would work, and said it is still unclear what kind of immune response is needed to prevent infection.

I understand all of that, but if you want to find out if it really is under control you could try some random testing. The numbers are very low in some states so the claim of no cases is less certain.

But if the only people being tested - say the 600-odd per day in Tasmania - are people presenting with symptoms who suspect they may have the virus, and all results are negative, it strongly suggests there are no cases whatsoever in the community, asymptomatic or otherwise.

A million x nothing = nothing.

But if the only people being tested - say the 600-odd per day in Tasmania - are people presenting with symptoms who suspect they may have the virus, and all results are negative, it strongly suggests there are no cases whatsoever in the community, asymptomatic or otherwise.

A million x nothing = nothing.
Yes. That's why the conventional theory now is 28 days without community transmission is seen as important. The argument against what you say above is that asymptomatic people won't get tested but if that asymptomatic person infects others the chances of all of them being asymptomatic as well is low and that gets lower over time.
But I don't mind random community testing being done but the fact is that no state has that in place except Victoria