Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I tend to agree and whatever approach is taken needs to be global. Unfortunately everyone is doing their own thing and there is a clear lack of global direction on this.

If (and thats a big IF) we do not get a vaccine then I'm not really sure what the point of an elimination strategy purely in Australia is. We smash out economy possibly for a longer period and then do not reopen to the rest of the world as they still have it. I think this is why the government are going down the suppression route. There has to be close to a 0% chance of their being a worldwide elimination strategy, its just not going to happen when you have people like Trump / Bolsonaro doing such a fine job in their countries.

It seems to me that we are trying our best to balance the 2 (health and economy) whilst we find out if we have an effective vaccine or effective treatment and then work from there. If we don't get a vaccine or effective treatment (and even if we do) then that will be the time when discussions are made as to what an acceptable death rate with the virus actually is.

BTW slightly off topic but have we ever as a human race managed to eliminate a virus worldwide??
i get that it will be difficult to manage an elimination strategy, but the alternative may not be better.
when will states with no cases open to those that do?
and has region/state/country in the world been able to manage small outbreaks without a harsh lockdown?
maybe some asian countries have- what do they do? maybe wear masks and maybe have less large household gatherings??

i really dont see how we will stop outbreaks like we have in Vic happening while the virus is out there, and i dont see "clean" states opening their borders to state where the virus is circulating.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If we can get this thing back to zero, our only option will be to close our borders and quarantine incoming travellers in a locked cell. Unless your'e a celebrity.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I say it just sound bloody infectious. The source is incidental. Could have happened at the shops.

Only if they were employing the same guards as quarantine did

Dan better hope they show a lot of incidental sources. BLM protests now being linked to Nth Melb housing commission outbreaks. NSW casula hotel linked to VIC outbreaks. All VIC outbreaks potentially linking back to hotel quarantine.

If Dan survives all this we will have to start calling him BAM.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
How long for?
Its all good to have it eliminated from 1 community (and costly to do so)
But is it futile if other communities do not eliminate it?
Is any country bigger than NZ aiming to do this?

The next step after elimination is to isolate from the rest of the world.
So many industries are massively restricted if we go into this isolation and foreigners cant enter oz.
Education, Tourism, Agriculture (fruit pickers etc)
Do we just engage with NZ ?
It would decimate tourism and aviation.
With the ongoing risk that in the short to medium term it would return anyway.

I can see why the govt leaders have chosen an 80/20 path - get most cases resolved, reduce hospital loads with a costly lockdown. And then when prepared for more waves release the shackles

For my opinion I wanted a longer shutdown to stamp it out, but i can see why that wasnt chosen.
If you eliminate it, foreigners can still enter the country, we just mandate they are tested before they leave their place of origin and on arrival, and/or go into quarantine when they get here.

Repeated shutdowns whenever numbers get too high provide zero certainty, and *smile* with people's hip pockets and mental health.

If we eliminated it, and Australians spent all the money they normally spend on overseas trips domestically, our tourism industry would be no worse off.

It's not a perfect solution, but there isn't a perfect solution to this another than a 100% effective vaccine.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Speaking to Mum who's in rehab after a bad fall... One of the nurses there is telling everyone the virus is a hoax. Another nurse said "That'd be - - - - - -. Don't mention anti-vax, she's big on that too!"

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How long for?
Its all good to have it eliminated from 1 community (and costly to do so)
But is it futile if other communities do not eliminate it?
Is any country bigger than NZ aiming to do this?

The next step after elimination is to isolate from the rest of the world.
So many industries are massively restricted if we go into this isolation and foreigners cant enter oz.
Education, Tourism, Agriculture (fruit pickers etc)
Do we just engage with NZ ?
It would decimate tourism and aviation.
With the ongoing risk that in the short to medium term it would return anyway.

I can see why the govt leaders have chosen an 80/20 path - get most cases resolved, reduce hospital loads with a costly lockdown. And then when prepared for more waves release the shackles

For my opinion I wanted a longer shutdown to stamp it out, but i can see why that wasn't chosen.

This indeed is the bind.

If there is no vaccine and/or effective treatment what do we do?

Elimination is possibly an option if we only allow people in from countries where it has been eliminated.

But, also, if we don't eliminate it from the human population in the absence of a vaccine or treatment, do we accept having a virulent virus going around the population knocking off thousands of people every year?

It is a very difficult question to answer.

Just as a by the way: smallpox was eliminated but it was eliminated with an effective vaccine. To eliminate without a vaccine you would need to ensure nobody has the virus, and that means long periods of quarantine.

MDJazz, yes, it is very noticeable that the lockdown this time is not as effective as the first time. When I go down the street or go for a ride there are way more people around. It is not even close to as quiet as it was the first time around. People need to get the message, other than the 4 purposes listed, bloody well stay at home.

DS

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
This indeed is the bind.

If there is no vaccine and/or effective treatment what do we do?

Elimination is possibly an option if we only allow people in from countries where it has been eliminated.

But, also, if we don't eliminate it from the human population in the absence of a vaccine or treatment, do we accept having a virulent virus going around the population knocking off thousands of people every year?

It is a very difficult question to answer.

Just as a by the way: smallpox was eliminated but it was eliminated with an effective vaccine. To eliminate without a vaccine you would need to ensure nobody has the virus, and that means long periods of quarantine.

MDJazz, yes, it is very noticeable that the lockdown this time is not as effective as the first time. When I go down the street or go for a ride there are way more people around. It is not even close to as quiet as it was the first time around. People need to get the message, other than the 4 purposes listed, bloody well stay at home.

DS

We don't have the same restrictions as last time.

All the states 16, 17 and 18 year olds are, still going from their hundreds of thousands of homes to their hundreds of different schools every day.

Plus all the accessory movement involved with that.