Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If we can get this thing back to zero, our only option will be to close our borders and quarantine incoming travellers in a locked cell. Unless your'e a celebrity.

or,

you could sticky tape a sign near the urn in the smoko room of the Q hotel saying

'no rooting people with the plague'

?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been fascinating during this crisis how parochial those from other States have become during this pandemic.
The borders aren't just lines on a map in Australia, that's clear. It's like we've divided into small countries.
'We're all Melburnians'? is a nice message but the reality has been very different..

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Been fascinating during this crisis how parochial those from other States have become during this pandemic.
The borders aren't just lines on a map in Australia, that's clear. It's like we've divided into small countries.
'We're all Melburnians'? is a nice message but the reality has been very different..
dont blame them really.
and from what is reported other states are offering what ever practical support they can, while playing to their voter base.

and what the f does "we're all Melbournians" mean. whoever thought of that was obviously a failed marketing person.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
dont blame them really.
and from what is reported other states are offering what ever practical support they can, while playing to their voter base.

and what the f does "we're all Melbournians" mean. whoever thought of that was obviously a failed marketing person.

Unfortunately Scomo seems to have several failed marketing people in his team. "Have a go and you'll get a go" is pretty rubbish too.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

His marketing team missed this sort of opportunity

They could replicate it with Scomo, Dan , Gladys, Annastacia etc providing some funky moves. You could have a nice choreographed group scene with some BLM protestors, security guards and quarantined travellers. Perhaps even a Bolt/Credlin cameo?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Elimination, suppression, aggressive suppression?

Not easy questions to answer.

A couple of articles in The Age have been discussing this and it does show just how difficult this debate is:

This was on July 14, and on July 15, although in today's hard copy version, we get this:

I think the point about suppression, aggressive suppression and elimination being a continuum is a good one, and the fact that pursuing suppression does not rule out moving to elimination later is also valid.

But the reality is that both strategies have their flaws. How do you maintain elimination if the virus is still rampant outside Australia? Bear in mind too that Australia may be able to pursue this, but most countries have land borders and elimination is a whole lot more difficult. But suppression means periodic outbreaks, and either periodic shut downs or acceptance of casualties.

I have seen a few reports that immunity may not last long, bringing into question whether an effective vaccine can be found but also pointing to that finding an effective vaccine may take a long time. There are also reports of damage to internal organs of those who have caught this virus and possible long term health consequences - which would make periodic outbreaks a very risky prospect.

I'm sure many are working on what the best way forward is but this is a very difficult problem. Even if we succeed in suppressing or even eliminating the virus in Australia we are left with what to do about contact with the rest of the world. If we pursue suppression and accept periodic outbreaks we are left with the unknown of long term consequences of infection along with the casualties.

The first step has to be controlling the current spike and trying to prevent it moving around Australia, but what comes next is a quandary.

DS

PS: how do you get the article in a box like IanG did? I tried copying the code but it didn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Dan has offered “thoughts and prayers” to the recently dead victims of this virus. :rolleyes:

He’s gunna cope it from “progressives” who bagged Morrison for saying this....

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Just watching Brett Sutton, impressive press conference under a lot of pressure. My take from it is I don't think Stage 4 will happen unless we see an explosion of cases.

He appeared amazingly calm for a guy in his position, I know I was critical of him without understanding his level of power/control over this and I feel for him. I was wrong to try and pin a level of blame on him. Cannot imagine the pressure he is under.

He mentioned the inquiry a couple of times without any apprehension, it may be he will embrace it as it will reveal a level of disorganisation within the VIC health dept and an end result will be changes?

Just hope we do the right thing by each other and we are learning from past mistakes.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Magic. But seriously. Left Shift and right click of the mouse, then ALT & F4 together should do it. See below

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Dan has offered “thoughts and prayers” to the recently dead victims of this virus. :rolleyes:

He’s gunna cope it from “progressives” who bagged Morrison for saying this....
Where did "thoughts and prayers" come from as the default response to death?

What was wrong with offering condolences or extending sympathy?

And if you don't actually pray, it's just a glib throwaway line.

And while I am at since when is it journalism when reporting a tragic death to cut and paste Facebook posts into a news article? Normally are the same cliches people turn to ....always put others first, had a smile that lit up the room, would do anything for his friends, was life of the party, we lost an angel etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Magic. But seriously. Left Shift and right click of the mouse, then ALT & F4 together should do it. See below

You lost me there, Alt F4 closes the programme :(

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
You lost me there, Alt F4 closes the programme :(

Ahhh hehehehe, good to see the old ALT F4 gag still works.

Your issue was your URLs ended in #comment. Remove that and the URLs will appear as you are hoping

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ahhh hehehehe, good to see the old ALT F4 gag still works.

Your issue was your URLs ended in #comment. Remove that and the URLs will appear as you are hoping

Aha, I loaded the comments before copying the URL. As for the Alt F4, I was thinking that would close the window, but ended up trying anyway since I run Linux and was curious to see if it worked in Linux too (it does!).

Let's hope those numbers drop, but, for a bit of perspective, our infection rate in Australia is 411 cases per million people, in the USA it is 10,571 per million people - like chalk and cheese really. We can get this under control.

DS