Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure why anyone would be going to work in that instance.

Because they are selfish arseholes is the most likely answer.

Seriously, why are we even bothering with this lockdown? When people do *smile* like this it is almost pointless for the rest of us to do the right thing. We will never contain this thing whilst selfish pricks continue to do the wrong thing. We might as well get on with our lives as we used to and let the virus sort us out.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Those not isolating at home need to be dealt with, but not put in gaol, enough issues in gaol without potentially introducing the virus.

Put them in some sort of quarantine or ankle bracelets would be a better alternative if this is the chosen solution.

DS
Yeah that's fair enough. I was being hyperbolic. But some measures to take away the thing they value very highly, their liberty, are required. Ankle bracelets maybe. I'd prefer an enforced quarantine on a military base. Ankle bracelets won't stop them going outside the home and at the moment there are no real punitive consequences for this disobedience.

People need to be responsible for the consequences of their actions. There need to be serious repercussions to enforce the correct behaviour. The current system is clearly not working.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Because they are selfish arseholes is the most likely answer.

Seriously, why are we even bothering with this lockdown? When people do *smile* like this it is almost pointless for the rest of us to do the right thing. We will never contain this thing whilst selfish pricks continue to do the wrong thing. We might as well get on with our lives as we used to and let the virus sort us out.

But I guess the point is why are they going to work. Part of its them being selfish (because they know they are positive, even just looking after their co-workers, why go to work), but surely they have been told or read that they can receive the $1500 payment. I assume when those calls come from the contact tracers, they should be re-iterating this to those that turned positive.

Ie. 1st you tell them they are positive
2nd you find out where they have been and who they potentially came into contact with
3rd remind them of their obligations to remain at home including those who live in their household
4th notify them of their ability to access the government payments

It should be the same at the testing stations, they should be notifying people of the $300 that is available to them.

I am assuming this is what goes on, but I don't know as I haven't received one of those calls.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
But I guess the point is why are they going to work. Part of its them being selfish (because they know they are positive, even just looking after their co-workers, why go to work), but surely they have been told or read that they can receive the $1500 payment. I assume when those calls come from the contact tracers, they should be re-iterating this to those that turned positive.

Ie. 1st you tell them they are positive
2nd you find out where they have been and who they potentially came into contact with
3rd remind them of their obligations to remain at home including those who live in their household
4th notify them of their ability to access the government payments

It should be the same at the testing stations, they should be notifying people of the $300 that is available to them.

I am assuming this is what goes on, but I don't know as I haven't received one of those calls.
What can you say Posh. Some people are just arseholes.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
People need to be responsible for the consequences of their actions. There need to be serious repercussions to enforce the correct behaviour. The current system is clearly not working.
Remember those images of Chinese police dragging out those infected & incarcerating them? They're on top of it now. (far as we can tell anyway).
I'm not advocating we get to that point but seriously this softly, softly approach is *smile* things up for everybody. Time to get serious.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Those not isolating at home need to be dealt with, but not put in gaol, enough issues in gaol without potentially introducing the virus.

Put them in some sort of quarantine or ankle bracelets would be a better alternative if this is the chosen solution.

DS
maybe hotel quarantine?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You are a Muppet.
Meep meep meep moo mee moo-moo meep meep.

But seriously, I'm not advocating we pay a 3rd world country that doesnt have the necessary medical and social services to support people we dont want here for political reasons.
we do have centres in Australia though where we have been happy to lock people up indefinitely while we ensure they are no risk to Australia, why couldnt those facilities be used to house people for 2 weeks when they enter Australia to ensure the safety of the rest of Australia?
Didnt the gov recently spend millions to re-open 1 that was never used? the intention there was to house people brought to Australia needing medical support so those services are obviously adequate.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
VIC
New Cases: 579 (627 with 48 reclassified)
Total Cases: 10,577
Active Cases: * not yet updated from yesterday's number of 5385.
6 deaths (112 Total).
33,826 tests (1,608,452 Total)

NSW
New Cases: 20
Total Cases: 3756
Active Cases: * not yet updated from yesterday's number of 203.
0 deaths (51 Total). Note: NSW Government website says 51 deaths, other sites say 49.
25,321 tests (1,462,155 Total)

Finally getting to the truth of why the Ruby Princess disaster happened & who was responsible. Morrison & Dutton have questions they need to answer today.

who's gonna ask them? the media in this country won't/don't ask the hard questions to the Liberals and they get away with murder.

maybe hotel quarantine?

should be in put in 14 day mandatory quarantine at their own expense. i have been saying that for weeks now. its time to act against these selfish flogs

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Rather typical of you to play the man rather than engage in intellectual debate.

Sums up the quality of your posting.
Hooray BT, good stuff.

Show me where I have played the man. Just once. Then put it into context old boy.

Otherwise back in your box .

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Meep meep meep moo mee moo-moo meep meep.

But seriously, I'm not advocating we pay a 3rd world country that doesnt have the necessary medical and social services to support people we dont want here for political reasons.
we do have centres in Australia though where we have been happy to lock people up indefinitely while we ensure they are no risk to Australia, why couldnt those facilities be used to house people for 2 weeks when they enter Australia to ensure the safety of the rest of Australia?
Didnt the gov recently spend millions to re-open 1 that was never used? the intention there was to house people brought to Australia needing medical support so those services are obviously adequate.
Your penchant for bringing race into this thread doesnt serve the commentary well that is what the Muppet comment was referring to. And I should have put it all in lower case as it was only a mumble not an abusive yell.
And seriously I agree with you regarding the government using whatever means it has available to quarantine incoming people to ensure the current situation is as bad as it is allowed to get.
Also yes the government did initially quarantine a plane of passengers from China in Jan or Feb so those facilites are available. WA also quarantined incoming travellers on Rottnest island.
Sending people to the hotel over the road from the airport when their houses are within spitting distance and telling them to stay put is just naive.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Remember that Bruce Willis movie where they locked all the people up in a sports stadium? MCG aint earning any money at the moment. If 25% of people who've tested positive aren't home then maybe that's where they should be - behind a big fence and under armed guard.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Id like to see an age profile on the people disregarding civic duty and not isolating when sick.

I suspect its overwhelmingly under 25's???

and to play the devil advocate (Im not excusing it in any way)

1. That generation has not been raised in a civil minded society. Their whole life, the messaging from leaders has essentially been every man for themselves.
2. They have a strong case to be cynical about the power systems and structures that isn't passing down the spoils. Broadly speaking, they either pay a shitload for tertiary education, or work a *smile* casual job with no security. They have no prospect of cracking into the property market.
3. I reckon a few Typhoid Marys would have it in the back of their mind 'if we kill off a few grandparents, maybe the scraps of a beach house will fall my way'?
4. Some would be science-sceptical, given prominent media and political leaders have been actively campaigning for distrust of science for at least a decade.

I dont like it, but I get it

Reactions: 3 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Id like to see an age profile on the people disregarding civic duty and not isolating when sick.

1. That generation has not been raised in a civil minded society. Their whole life, the messaging from leaders has essentially been every man for themselves.
2. They have a strong case to be cynical about the power systems and structures that isn't passing down the spoils. Broadly speaking, they either pay a shitload for tertiary education, or work a *smile* casual job with no security. They have no prospect of cracking into the property market.
3. I reckon a few Typhoid Marys would have it in the back of their mind 'if we kill off a few grandparents, maybe the scraps of a beach house will fall my way'?
4. Some would be science-sceptical, given prominent media and political leaders have been actively campaigning for distrust of science for at least a decade.

Alternatively, after 25 years of having everything handed to them on a plate, they have no idea of responsibility and accountability.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Some valid points indeed ezy.

As I have said before a lot of the younger generation are thinking to themselves rightly or wrongly:

- This is an old persons disease that kills old people. Old people have historically never lived longer.
They've lived their full life & they're not going to screw the prime of mine completely for a few extra years at the back end.

- Those who hold power are older & are wealthy. They have probably been the luckiest generation until now in the history of humanity thoroughly enjoying the spoils of a post war world. These reasons are why those in power are making a big deal of this virus & have controlled society to prevent it sweeping though by changing laws & behaviours.
However many of those same older people have done little to prevent future climate change which will likely affect the lives of many of these younger people into the future.

- The world has an unsustainable population problem. This illness will likely recheck the planet by slowing life down & culling overburdened populations & repairing ecosystems.

- The current younger generation is going to be asked to pick up the tab for the cost that this virus has had on economies.

I don't share any of these POVs but I've heard it loud & clear from the younger generation.

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

There's that.

They might also just be selfish arseholes who don't give a *smile* about anything but themselves and their own gratification.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
They might also just be selfish arseholes who don't give a *smile* about anything but themselves and their own gratification.

indeed, that prospect must be considered also.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

As I have said before a lot of the younger generation are thinking to themselves rightly or wrongly:

- This is an old persons disease that kills old people. Old people have historically never lived longer.
They've lived their full life & they're not going to screw the prime of mine completely for a few extra years at the back end.

- Those who hold power are older & are wealthy. They have probably been the luckiest generation until now in the history of humanity thoroughly enjoying the spoils of a post war world. These reasons are why those in power are making a big deal of this virus & have controlled society to prevent it sweeping though by changing laws & behaviours.
However many of those same older people have done little to prevent future climate change which will likely affect the lives of many of these younger people into the future.

- The world has an unsustainable population problem. This illness will likely recheck the planet by slowing life down & culling overburdened populations & ecosystems.

- The current younger generation is going to be asked to pick up the tab for the cost that this virus has had on economies.

I don't share any of these POVs but I've heard it loud & clear from the younger generation.

yeah.

If my 20 year old self knew for a fact that if I Party-with-Covid like it was 1999,

Donald Trump would die a humiliating and lonely death,

we'll, I reckon I'd have partyd-with-covid like it was 1999

except it would have been 1991

my near 50 year old self knows for a fact he'll die a humiliating and lonely death anyway.

and then I reckon I'll party like its 1999

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
It may well also be learned behaviour. As a for instance the mother of one of the 3 muppets in QLD said her daughter had nothing to apologise for. With a mother like that it's no wonder some kids behave poorly.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

- Those who hold power are older & are wealthy. They have probably been the luckiest generation until now in the history of humanity thoroughly enjoying the spoils of a post war world. These reasons are why those in power are making a big deal of this virus & have controlled society to prevent it sweeping though by changing ;aws & behaviours.

- The world has an unsustainable population problem. This illness will likely recheck the planet y slowing life down & culling overburdened populations & ecosystems.

This stuff has happened since the dawn of modern civilisation Oldie. Show me an era where the power and wealth hasn't be held by the older in society. Unless you're born into wealth it takes time and work and effort to accumulate it. It doesn't get handed to you. Younger generations have been picking up the tab for ever but they keep going; it rolls through.

There is a lot of excuse making that goes on in today's society. The argument about property bemuses me. Start at the bottom, buy a small place and maybe not in Elwood or Port Melbourne or Fitzroy. Go overseas and travel every year and have great experiences if you like but don't come back and go oh poor me I can't afford a house. Make sacrifices to achieve your goals; that's what previous generations have done.

There are genuinely disadvantaged people in Australia and those are the ones that need real support. Australia is not perfect but mostly we're very privileged to live in this country and that should not be taken for granted.

Even as bad as it seems in the current pandemic in Melbourne it's nothing compared to what many similar countries have experienced.

Reactions: 3 users