Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This stuff has happened since the dawn of modern civilisation Oldie. Show me an era where the power and wealth hasn't be held by the older in society. Unless you're born into wealth it takes time and work and effort to accumulate it. It doesn't get handed to you. Younger generations have been picking up the tab for ever but they keep going; it rolls through.

There is a lot of excuse making that goes on in today's society. The argument about property bemuses me. Start at the bottom, buy a small place and maybe not in Elwood or Port Melbourne or Fitzroy. Go overseas and travel every year and have great experiences if you like but don't come back and go oh poor me I can't afford a house. Make sacrifices to achieve your goals; that's what previous generations have done.

There are genuinely disadvantaged people in Australia and those are the ones that need real support. Australia is not perfect but mostly we're very privileged to live in this country and that should not be taken for granted.

Even as bad as it seems in the current pandemic in Melbourne it's nothing compared to what many similar countries have experienced.

I agree with all that,

but the current 20 year olds

live on an unprecedentedly degraded planet,

largely through no fault of their own.

sure, many consume harder than any previous generation,

But there is a palpable, understandable, nihilistic vibe amongst the young

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It may well also be learned behaviour. As a for instance the mother of one of the 3 muppets in QLD said her daughter had nothing to apologise for. With a mother like that it's no wonder some kids behave poorly.

Did I hear right that one of their mothers was trying to claim they were in Sydney and not Melbourne. Despite clear evidence via an infringement notice that they absolutely were in Melbourne.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Absolutely valid points Riddles. There's definitely a lot of younger people who've had life pretty good before this virus hit.
It's been a reality check & a half & that adjustment ain't easy for many of them.

yeah, the generation after us is the first to grow up with everything they want for sure.

and the honeymoon is over baby

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Did I hear right that one of their mothers was trying to claim they were in Sydney and not Melbourne. Despite clear evidence via an infringement notice that they absolutely were in Melbourne.

theres a definite, modern syndrome I experienced as a teacher,

where 'my kids right/good, everyone wrong/bad'.

which wont do the generation any favours when *smile* hits fan

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I agree with all that,

I don't know ezy, you may be right but I don't see it that much up close. I'm around a lot of young people. I have two in their twenties and a nearly 15 year old. My close friends all have kids ranging from 16 - 30 years of age. They all seem to be well adjusted and coping with life pretty well nothwithstanding the current health crisis. My 25 year old is newly married and reckons he's built for a pandemic. He and his wife are great and have a small but close group of friends; they are reasonably introverted so he's loving working from home and not leaving the house :mhihi.

I do admit that all of these young people I mentioned come from at least 2 previous generations of very hard working, stable and supportive families; no silver spoons at all and there has been a number of road blocks and heartache along the way.

I get that a lot of people don't have that to fall back on. My philosophy is that life is what you make of it but no doubt that is harder for some than others.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
theres a definite, modern syndrome I experienced as a teacher,

where 'my kids right/good, everyone wrong/bad'.

which wont do the generation any favours when *smile* hits fan
When I went to school and you got in trouble the first thing my parents would say was:

"So what did you do wrong?" :mhihi And there were consequences for poor behaviour.

Reactions: 6 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Yes, the same mother who says her daughter has nothing to apologise for. Potentially hundreds infected because her daughter is a lying, thieving dirtbag. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
. My 25 year old is newly married and reckons he's built for a pandemic.

that's something to be proud of.

our family (adult kids too) share a joke that we are pretty well qualified for an apocalypse too. :cool:

like you say, a stable, loving family is the best thing you can give a kid.

and its very sad that heaps dont ever receive that gift

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Absolutely valid points Riddles. There's definitely a lot of younger people who've had life pretty good before this virus hit.
It's been a reality check & a half & that adjustment ain't easy for many of them.

If the virus can't be contained and we end up with wartime austerity, at least they'll get a whiff of what people went through so the country could get to its position of strength. Too many seem to think the world started when they were born.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
If the virus can't be contained and we end up with wartime austerity, at least they'll get a whiff of what people went through so the country could get to its position of strength. Too many seem to think the world started when they were born.
Not sure how old you are but unless you are 75 you didnt go thru war time austerity (thats not meant as a personal dig). and i reckon there is a fair chance many of the people saying how easy young ones today have it didnt either.
yes the majority of people growing up in Aust today have it comparatively pretty good.
people growing up in Australia for the past 60 years have had it pretty good.

fact is tho it has never cost more to go to uni, never been harder to get a job, jobs have never been so insecure, and house prices are, compared to wages, many times higher than they were even 20 years ago. Australians between the ages of about 40 and 70 shouldnt be telling young ones how good they have it today.

not sure what that has to do with this thread though, and people should still do the right thing- i am not sure though the 20 somethings of today would be any less likely to 'do the right thing' than 20 somethings of any generation.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure how old you are but unless you are 75 you didnt go thru war time austerity (thats not meant as a personal dig). and i reckon there is a fair chance many of the people saying how easy young ones today have it didnt either.

You don't need to have lived through it to appreciate it. I'm blessed to be born here and would be prepared to do plenty to defend it (as opposed to those doing plenty to tear it down).

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I agree with all that,

That's a maudlin way to look at it. In some ways there's never been more opportunity for young people IMO. Most of them spend too much time navel gazing and showing little interest in starting at the bottom. The real goers stand out like stud bull's nuts. They just need better guidance. But if you think there's no hope you won't be disappointed.

Property is a tough one, its much more unaffordable than it was. Roughly 10 x average earnings for the average house rather than 3 x in my parents day. Little doubt negative gearing and CGT discounts, easier finance, ability to use Superfund money has all contributed to this. Not sure how you wind it back. But as Ridley wrote if you choose to go OS, have Sat breakfasts and lunch out every day, etc etc then you can't expect to buy a 2 BR apartment in St Kilda with a $2500 deposit.

I don't get the nhilistic vibe more the fragile & self-indulgent one.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Yes, the same mother who says her daughter has nothing to apologise for. Potentially hundreds infected because her daughter is a lying, thieving dirtbag. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

I see that the brother of one these females has tried to play the racist card.

Yeah sure cocko, the fact that your stupid sister & her equally stupid friends have quite possibly put the state of Queensland in jeopardy is why people think she's a "smiling" cow.
Absolutely nothing to do with racism.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Yeah sure cocko, the fact that your stupid sister & her equally stupid friends have quite possibly put the state of Queensland in jeopardy is why people think she's a "smiling" cow.
I wondered how long it'd be before that card was played :rolleyes:

What a load of horse *smile*. Geez some people are pathetic. Always looking for an excuse for their own *smile* choices and trying to justify their *smile* behaviour.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Don't know what sort of criminal syndicate the women are alleged to be involved with, but I can guess. Those lips could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

• Haha

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

That was always going to happen. If it doesn't have the desired outcome they'll play the Misogynism card and then, by the looks of the ladies involved, pull out the big guns with the Overinflated Lips card.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
This thread is really starting to bring out the worst in people.

Everyone's looking for someone to blame.

It was always unlikely we were going to contain this thing, and there's a hundred reasons why we didn't. As a society, we're really not equipped to deal with a pandemic. We don't have the research infrastructure, the support for science and healthcare, the social responsibility, job security for most, the trust in our leaders, the trust in the media, the trust in our science, or the social compliance to deal with it. The old are blaming the young, the young are blaming the old, the rich are blaming the poor, the poor are blaming the rich and the dumb are blaming each other.

I think we have to remember how insidious this virus is. It's beaten pretty much every country on the planet.

Remember at the start of all this, the aim was to flatten the curve. That never meant end it. We've flattened. Now we deal. Look after each other and do what you can to keep it flat.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Remember at the start of all this, the aim was to flatten the curve. That never meant end it. We've flattened. Now we deal. Look after each other and do what you can to keep it flat.

The great majority are doing that and having a crack at those who identify as not being team players. They are fair game.