Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
OK the counter has ticked over.

7892/170

WHO meeting again today to decide whether to declare a global emergency.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Well done to British Airways for cancelling all direct flights in and out of China. Until their’s a vaccine all commercial flights should be stopped.

It won't help. Folks will just fly to Taiwan or HK and leave from there. The only way to stop it is to close all international shipping and air traffic. Given this would cripple some international airlines and strand 100's of thousands of people no govt will have the nuts to do it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It’s already too late anyway as it’s in our country already. It’s why I find the whole Christmas Island approach a little odd. The horse has bolted.
What’s the incubation period again?
We haven’t seen H2H revealed yet in Australia but with several reported cases already my guess it’s a matter of when not if. Australians don’t have some sort of invisible force field around them and many of the contagious have been in the country for days before showing symptoms.
Hope I’m wrong.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
It’s already too late anyway as it’s in our country already. It’s why I find the whole Christmas Island approach a little odd. The horse has bolted.
We haven’t seen H2H revealed yet in Australia but with several reported cases already my guess it’s a matter of when not if. Australians don’t have some sort of invisible force field around them and many of the contagious have been in the country for days before showing symptoms.
Hope I’m wrong.

Agree. There are 1000 people from China arriving in Melbourne each day (China Southern, China Eastern and Qantas all have direct flights. Say 10% of them have been to Wuhan and 10% of those have the virus. That means 10 people each day for over a month are arriving in Melbourne with it. Given the contact with locals and how contagious it is we are already stuffed. We can only hope a vaccine is developed before it really takes hold.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hope I’m wrong.

I guess we'll know shortly as the number of cases will start climbing steadily rather than one here and one there.

Has the potential to bring the world to a standstill. Imagine being afraid to go to the footy for fear of catching the virus. If something is going around, you'll catch it in standing room.

We might be the longest-reigning premier of them all.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We might be the longest-reigning premier of them all.

That's not an honour I'd want.

Important to note though that this is like most flu viruses & it mainly affects the elderly & the very young.
It won't kill most healthy people. That won't be a comfort to some people but it does keep things in perspective.
We have had some very bad flu seasons in recent years right here in Australia that have killed people.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Important to note though that this is like most flu viruses & it mainly affects the elderly & the very young.
It won't kill most healthy people. That won't be a comfort to some people but it does keep things in perspective.
We have had some very bad flu seasons in recent years right here in Australia that have killed people.

I'm less concerned for myself than my mother. She'd stand zero chance against this thing with one lung.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
9821/213

Only 13 deaths behind the computer simulation. Tomorrow's figures will be very interesting as it jumps considerably in the predicated deaths.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

Do you know the age demographic of the deaths from this outbreak for sure ToO? That is, the young, elderly and infirm dying at much higher rates than the rest of the population. Is this from a reliable source?

I haven't seen anything official about that yet. Even with just over 300 deaths so far, that information is very important in understanding how dangerous the virus might be. The Spanish flu straight after WWI was notable for the fact that it took out many young adults as a percentage of total deaths. That virus was able to trigger Cytokine Release Syndrome which ravages the immune systems of even very healthy people. CRS is problematic for anyone, but the young and the elderly and the infirm tend to have relatively immature and/or poor functioning immune systems so its impact results in a smaller percentage increase in the death rate amongst these people. But if CRS is involved, then we can expect to see more younger adults dying, and that would be of great concern.

One thing that greatly concerns me about this outbreak is that the Chinese are either struggling for accurate information on what is going on (which would be understandable) or they are not sharing the info.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not sure on the official numbers Streak but have seen on reputable news sites that this is the case. Fatality rate appears to be 2-3%. agree accurate official data would put many minds at rest.
BTW apparently that 44 year old from Wuhan in the Phillipines who died, was also diagnosed with having the common flu so he had a double whammy to deal with.