Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Wonder what it will look like for businesses that supply other states? Do they get exemptions to continue to supply them? What about container ships coming into Melb? They have to be unloaded, assume the wharf still operates? Do those containers get delivered to warehouses etc? Or sit on the wharf stock piling?

It's one thing to shut a whole country, much more difficult to shut a state.

NSW only 12 new cases. why is it not exploding like it has down here? This is not purely about "luck".

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Wonder what it will look like for businesses that supply other states? Do they get exemptions to continue to supply them? What about container ships coming into Melb? They have to be unloaded, assume the wharf still operates? Do those containers get delivered to warehouses etc? Or sit on the wharf stock piling?

It's one thing to shut a whole country, much more difficult to shut a state.

NSW only 12 new cases. why is it not exploding like it has down here? This is not purely about "luck".

In NZ, the container wharf operators still worked to unload, but would not let anyone from outside on site to collect the containers. There was a big backlog to clear containers once they re-opened.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
In NZ, the container wharf operators still worked to unload, but would not let anyone from outside on site to collect the containers. There was a big backlog to clear containers once they re-opened.
Oh boy. That will be a disaster if they do that here. Who pays the demurrage? Would the wharf have the storage capacity to do that for a month?

I'm hoping this will be a much more targeted policy but I've lost complete faith in this government to make smart decisions.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Oh boy. That will be a disaster if they do that here. Who pays the demurrage? Would the wharf have the storage capacity to do that for a month?

I'm hoping this will be a much more targeted policy but I've lost complete faith in this government to make smart decisions.

The company I work for deals with worldwide freight. The demurrage is passed to the operators. We had to pass ours onto our clients

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not much is being made of the fact that construction workers have been able to work all the way through the restrictions. Most building sites in Melbourne and working as normal.

Not sure if that's the power of unions or the influence of the developers or the government just wanting to keep a revenue stream going.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Hopefully the announcements they make tomorrow will still allow for some workplaces to continue and they are just trying to limit contact people are having with each other outside of work.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Not much is being made of the fact that construction workers have been able to work all the way through the restrictions. Most building sites in Melbourne and working as normal.

Not sure if that's the power of unions or the influence of the developers or the government just wanting to keep a revenue stream going.
Unions and Master builders have been working together (which is rare!) to keep the building industry going so not just union power. Interestingly there has not been any outbreaks from building sites.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Unions and Master builders have been working together (which is rare!) to keep the building industry going so not just union power. Interestingly there has not been any outbreaks from building sites.

Yeh, its been pretty well done considering the size of the workforce in the construction industry and the requirement for certain trades to work closely together.

Hopefully they are going to be allowed to continue.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe it was a quick kite-flying exercise, looks like Stage 3 restrictions barely changed a lot of peoples' behaviour, so the restrictions get harder.

Not a nice figure at all, when the DHHS update their figures the 7 day average I have been calculating will go up.

Only allowed out for one hour, that is not going to be easy for my fortnightly shop at the market (I looked it up, I'm about 4KM from the market I go to) but I reckon that is reasonable. In and out of the market and I am done, I suspect it will be a quicker trip than usual as the roads and market will be quieter. I reckon the curfew is to stop family visits, no more going around for tea at the relo's place.

It is a pity the DHHS site is a day or two out of date, surely if you are going to announce such a big change you need the info out there quickly, a pdf file on their site would be good enough for now, make a better designed webpage when you can.

I note in the restrictions it states:
  • Recreational activity is no longer allowed.
  • Victorians will have one hour of exercise, no further from their homes

Um, what does this mean?

Can you go out for up to an hour, less than 5km from your home, for exercise? What is the difference between recreation and exercise?

They need to clarify these things.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeh, its been pretty well done considering the size of the workforce in the construction industry and the requirement for certain trades to work closely together.

Hopefully they are going to be allowed to continue.

They need to keep an eye on these things. It looks like the main sources of infection are aged care homes and family visits. In addition, a lot of construction work is undertaken outdoors or semi-outdoors which looks to be a much lower risk. Still, there needs to be monitoring such that we know there is no transmission assuming construction continues.

DS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Weren’t there some positive cases reported last week on the “Beyoncé” building in the city?