Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What the state government need to ensure is that anyone breaching the restrictions can be apprehended and punished for not following them. Massive fines, detention or lockup. If they don't do that the weirdo loony anti-vaxer mob, or the selfish self-centered mob, or the idiot mob, will keep flouting the rules and risk this 6 week lockdown not working.

Now is not the time where personal rights and freedoms should take precedence over what's right for the community/society.
one thing the harder lockdown does is make it easier to police everyone. the streets should be near empty, making it easier to question those who are out.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
one thing the harder lockdown does is make it easier to police everyone. the streets should be near empty, making it easier to question those who are out.

The point is more about what the police can do about it if they encounter a restriction breacher.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The point is more about what the police can do about it if they encounter a restriction breacher.
They'll fine them......and I bet the ***** don't pay the fine, lock the ***** up:mad:

Last edited:

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The endgame is always an issue, especially if there is no vaccine. There certainly is no guarantee that a vaccine will be found.

The problem of compliance is huge, we don't want to have to do this again. Hopefully this will work.

One other aspect is what happens if there is an outbreak interstate? As we saw in Victoria an outbreak can occur under the surface and then go boom.

Harry, the theory with Spanish Flu as I understand it is that the virus evolved into a less virulent and deadly virus. I don't think herd immunity was the end game with that one. It did take a few years too. This virus does not change so quickly as the flu. Killing the host is not a good strategy for a virus but this one doesn't kill most hosts so who knows what will happen.

DS
Yep, the more deadlier strain/s will die off by killing it's host while the milder strains will live on to mutate and evolve. This thing will kill many more people than it currently already has unfortunately. What I wanna know is how immune do you get if you've already had it, as some reports suggest that you can get it again.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
What do they mean by that?
Its a polite way of saying if one of the arseholes who chooses to not follow the rules and has the virus we are all effected.
The lockdown curfew is a way of enabling authorities a chance to deal with these types of people easier and of course reduce or eliminate the chances of innocent rule abiding citizens in contracting it.
Probably 4 weeks late though.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yep, the more deadlier strain/s will die off by killing it's host while the milder strains will live on to mutate and evolve. This thing will kill many more people than it currently already has unfortunately. What I wanna know is how immune do you get if you've already had it, as some reports suggest that you can get it again.
Not sure it has been written anywhere about natural immunity? The herd immunity is a pipe dream at this stage Harry, there have been reports of people getting it more than once but the question was being asked around the quality of the testing as in were they really clear of the virus.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think the effect this is having on so many should lead to harsher penalties for those breaching restrictions, particularly those that test positive and do not self isolate.

I'd be happy enough with the following.

1st breach - $1652 fine
2nd breach - Lock them up for the publics safety

To be removed from the controlled facility you need to complete your 14 days and then pass 2 negative tests. If you don't then you sit your 14 days again.

Clearly a fine isn't enough deterrent so take away their liberties.

Its no different to why we send criminals to prison. The ultimate reason isn't punishment, its rehabilitation and society protection. Thats what this will be, society protection.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure it has been written anywhere about natural immunity? The herd immunity is a pipe dream at this stage Harry, there have been reports of people getting it more than once but the question was being asked around the quality of the testing as in were they really clear of the virus.

And then there's the emerging ongoing side effects of those who have had the virus.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Testing of antibodies suggests immunity only lasts for 2-3 months. Perhaps less in some individuals. It's not a solution.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I think the effect this is having on so many should lead to harsher penalties for those breaching restrictions, particularly those that test positive and do not self isolate.

I'd be happy enough with the following.

1st breach - $1652 fine
2nd breach - Lock them up for the publics safety

To be removed from the controlled facility you need to complete your 14 days and then pass 2 negative tests. If you don't then you sit your 14 days again.

Clearly a fine isn't enough deterrent so take away their liberties.

Its no different to why we send criminals to prison. The ultimate reason isn't punishment, its rehabilitation and society protection. Thats what this will be, society protection.
Good idea but I wouldn't be giving any leniency for anyone caught not self isolating after a positive test. We've been pussyfooting around this for too long and we're now in a state of disaster. Everyone knows the rules, anyone who says they don't is a liar. I can't see how there can be any exemptions; if you are diagnosed positive you must self isolate.

Non compliance should lead to mandatory 28 day detention; I'm sure there are disused or little used facilities on military bases that can be converted for the purpose. Fining people is clearly not working.

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

I'm guessing police numbers have been hit through infections and self-isolations, and that's the reason for the curfew. Lately they've been refusing to disclose numbers affected.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
i do wonder how much the demographic that it initially hit in Victoria contributed to high growth.
it appears many infected were "working poor", industries that spread is more likely- such as aged care and meat works. many also live in highly populated areas- such as the high rises, but also other unit blocks. people without great financial stability still need to shop, work etc, making social distancing harder (not excusing people doing these things once they know they are infected- but when they first catch it they are more likely to come into contact with others.)
also it appears it hit ethnic groups that have larger family gatherings- meanings many people in a home, hugging kissing etc. again not excusing those breaking the rules, but the effect of a seemingly minor "infraction" has potentially been disastrous.
and finally everyone in Australia thought we have 'beaten' Covid. People everywhere relaxed. Other states have since seen what is happening in Victoria, and that would surely lead to more cautious behaviour from many, even in the states with no known cases.

none of this it too excuse the behaviour of many, but i would be surprised if Victorians were any better or any worse at following the rules than other states.
That demographic exists in all Australian major cities. Possibly proportionally of the same order in NSW and less in other states.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That demographic exists in all Australian major cities. Possibly proportionally of the same order in NSW and less in other states.
yes, of course, but it appears that was the 'group' initially infected in Vic, which meant the virus spread quickly before the spread was widely realised. I would guess a different demographic has been hit in NSW.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
no, i think a lot of people would have been a but lax in their behaviour because they knew they would probably get away with it. knowing the streets will be empty and they are a lot more likely to be stopped with change a lot of people's behaviour i reckon.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
no, i think a lot of people would have been a but lax in their behaviour because they knew they would probably get away with it. knowing the streets will be empty and they are a lot more likely to be stopped with change a lot of people's behaviour i reckon.

Again you are relying on people's common sense. The lines outside the supermarkets yesterday would indicate common sense is in short supply. There needs to be strong consequences to people's actions if they choose to ignore the restrictions.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly for the nation, the Morrison Government is lurching hysterically from bullying one state to the next as its mad border opening plan is torn apart by the federation, eaten by the virus and shat out by an increasingly angry polity. Summarising the disarray makes the point:

• VIC’s virus suppression is in danger of wiping the state from the map.
  • NSW is battling on with suppression but is on a knife’s edge permanently.
  • VIC will succeed with its Stage 4 lockdown, leading to the complete isolation of NSW with the virus so it will have to shut.
  • WA, QLD, SA and TAS are rightly sealed shut, enjoying life and loving their leaders.
  • The credibility of testing and tracing is seriously challenged and faith in quarantine is gone.
And we’re supposed to be crashing off fiscal support, getting nothing more from the RBA, unleashing loan defaults and opening the international borders, all in the next few months. This is fantasy.

The states are crumbling towards virus elimination by default while the Morrison Government chases its own suppression tail, making it more difficult. It should back elimination NOW. And fully fund it federally.

With determined leadership, we can all be virus free by November at the price of a little more federal debt that is utterly irrelevant and monetised by the RBA anyway.

Then the fortress economy can grow.