Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Anyone refusing a test should be treated either as a hostile active case so strap them down in Fairfield, or as a hostile potential, so send the to quarantine on Christmas Island for a couple of weeks or more.

This is the issue Vic needs to deal with. If you lift the lockdown, do you trust the population to still take precautions?

Reactions: 1 user

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
The numbers have plateaued. It could be a long time before Victorian's are welcome back in other states.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
This is what Dan's proposed detention legislation was for. I understand the potential for it to turn into something sinister, but this is hardly a human rights issue. The rest of us have the right not to catch this sh!t.
Isolate yourself then. Why should everyone else have to adjust their lives to manage your personal level of risk acceptance?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Looking at Melbourne's situation from the outside, can't help but think you are over-doing it a bit. Most countries would kill for your sort of numbers. Yes, if the lockdown is relaxed, numbers will rise, but a balance needs to be struck IMO.
Here in Denmark (population 6 million, geographical size one-fifth that of Victoria), numbers are relatively stable with daily infection numbers between 300 to 500, - not going up. But it seems to be mostly young people, and deaths are at about 0 to 2 per day. There are laws against large gatherings and masks are compulsory in public transport and in restaurants if not sitting at a table, and bars have to close at 10.00 pm. But that's about it.
Also I just read an article that fewer people have died this year in Denmark (for any reason) than in any of the previous six years.

Reactions: 3 users

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Looking at Melbourne's situation from the outside, can't help but think you are over-doing it a bit. Most countries would kill for your sort of numbers. Yes, if the lockdown is relaxed, numbers will rise, but a balance needs to be struck IMO.
Here in Denmark (population 6 million, geographical size one-fifth that of Victoria), numbers are relatively stable with daily infection numbers between 300 to 500, - not going up. But it seems to be mostly young people, and deaths are at about 0 to 2 per day. There are laws against large gatherings and masks are compulsory in public transport and in restaurants if not sitting at a table, and bars have to close at 10.00 pm. But that's about it.
Also I just read an article that fewer people have died this year in Denmark (for any reason) than in any of the previous six years.
We are told and are concerned about hospital over load and medical and nursing shortages.
Is this the case in Denmark or is the worry here, which I have accepted to be true , in fact over blown?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
We are told and are concerned about hospital over load and medical and nursing shortages.
Is this the case in Denmark or is the worry here, which I have accepted to be true , in fact over blown?
We got told that back in March/April/May when this first started. It was a great unknown and they were scared of what was happening in Italy and Spain at the time happening here. "Flatten the curve" they said. I suppose we've done that and are still doing it. We had a serious lockdown like yours for about two months but now it's back to relatively normal. They just have to keep monitoring the numbers and if they go up, tighten the restrictions. I think that's just going to be the way of things until a vaccine is found.
I don't think the worry is overblown, but I doubt you will ever get the numbers lower than what you have now.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
We got told that back in March/April/May when this first started. It was a great unknown and they were scared of what was happening in Italy and Spain at the time happening here. "Flatten the curve" they said. I suppose we've done that and are still doing it. We had a serious lockdown like yours for about two months but now it's back to relatively normal. They just have to keep monitoring the numbers and if they go up, tighten the restrictions. I think that's just going to be the way of things until a vaccine is found.
I don't think the worry is overblown, but I doubt you will ever get the numbers lower than what you have now.
I really wanted to know what is happening in the hospitals. Are they overwhelmed , especially ICU or not?

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Isolate yourself then. Why should everyone else have to adjust their lives to manage your personal level of risk acceptance?
Yeh, we seem to have this the wrong way around in a lot of areas. Protect the vulnerable and those at highest risk. And ultimately if you don't want to catch the virus don't expose yourself to high risk situations. Those in aged care have had no choice but most of the population has choice.

Limit large gatherings indoors and you're halfway there. But if Chadstone etc opens nobody is being forced to go there. Wear a mask, wash your hands and don't touch your face.

Has any country or state in the world had a lockdown as sever as Victoria's?

And despite it, we still can't get it down to the other states?

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
No.
Data is here and it's in English: https://www.sst.dk/en/english/corona-eng/covid-19-updates-statistics-and-charts
It's Monday morning here and that data is from Friday so it's a bit out of date.
106 in hospitals, 18 in intensive care, 13 on a ventilator.
Given the amount of tax I pay here, if those numbers are overwhelming the health system, I'd be pretty annoyed.
Thanks. Does not seem our hospitals will be overwhelmed if we open at 10 a day and restrict indoor gatherings.
Either we go for elimination and continue this way or we open up sensibly and carefully and live with small numbers and deaths in the aged.
Does mean we never get to go anywhere.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Thanks. Does not seem our hospitals will be overwhelmed if we open at 10 a day and restrict indoor gatherings.
Either we go for elimination and continue this way or we open up sensibly and carefully and live with small numbers and deaths in the aged.
Does mean we never get to go anywhere.
There have been points of time elsewhere in the world where the hospital systems get overwhelmed, including the ICUs, and that is when the virus gets really dangerous.
There were real concerns early on in the pandemic that this could happen here and during April and May the potential ICU capacity was increased a lot in the state. Increasing capacity is good but it also needs to be remembered you have to staff the capacity.
The numbers of patients in ICUs with COVID right now is very low, it is published by DHHS.
The Premier wasn’t saying that hospitals will get overwhelmed at 10 cases a day, he was referring to a 3rd spike if it happened but even at 700 a day the system coped well but this level was not the level that other places have experienced. Even our highest level is significantly lower than elsewhere and we wouldn’t want to get to those levels. We might cope capacity wise but it’s qualified staff that would be the concern.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
12 new, 1 death.
No way we're getting to an average of 5 anytime soon.
Need to revisit the next step parameters, or there'll be anarchy in the streets.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I’m hearing from a mate that’s in the union that the labor MP’s that form a ring around Melbourne Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong, Latrobe Valley are starting to get very very restless and are demanding some restrictions be eased urgently.

Fingers crossed that we can get these numbers down.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Dan & his crew had better start making some solid decisions pretty shortly.
I sense the broader public, even his most ardent supporters are getting very frustrated.
The dam is breaking.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I,m sure they will reduce the restrictions on Monday, just not as much as they would if the numbers were down to 5.

This is not clear cut, interesting article in The Age this morning by an epidemiologist debating both sides of the equation.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...itise-what-we-value-most-20201012-p56496.html

With 12 new infections the averages are plateauing or even rising:

COVID19 7 day ave 13102020.jpg

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
8 October 2020109.2910.009.71
9 October 20201410.0012.009.86
10 October 20201210.2912.609.57
11 October 20201511.2910.29
12 October 20201211.0010.50

The averages are jumping around because we are basically stuck at the current level of around 10 to 15 infections a day.

There needs to be some reduction in restrictions as compliance won't happen otherwise. I think the point in the article above about how anyone who can work from home should is critical. Let's control this but open up some more I reckon, numbers are well down on what they were in August and we know more about how this spreads, so there is scope.

DS

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Only conclusion I can draw from this is people are getting around with the virus without having themselves tested, or our contact tracing still isn't up to scratch.

It's both.

People still whining about security guards, but contact tracing and monitoring of isolation (combined with those idiotic post code restrictions) has been the biggest failure.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I,m sure they will reduce the restrictions on Monday, just not as much as they would if the numbers were down to 5.

This is not clear cut, interesting article in The Age this morning by an epidemiologist debating both sides of the equation.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...itise-what-we-value-most-20201012-p56496.html

With 12 new infections the averages are plateauing or even rising:

View attachment 10756

By the numbers:

DateNew Infections7 Day Trailing ave5 Day Centred ave14 Day Trailing ave
8 October 2020109.2910.009.71
9 October 20201410.0012.009.86
10 October 20201210.2912.609.57
11 October 20201511.2910.29
12 October 20201211.0010.50

The averages are jumping around because we are basically stuck at the current level of around 10 to 15 infections a day.

There needs to be some reduction in restrictions as compliance won't happen otherwise. I think the point in the article above about how anyone who can work from home should is critical. Let's control this but open up some more I reckon, numbers are well down on what they were in August and we know more about how this spreads, so there is scope.

DS
That article you linked is really good, and should be mandatory reading.

Reactions: 1 users