Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Here in the UK, we’ve got this new strain wreaking havoc. Are these cases in NSW and Vic the old strain or the new highly infectious one? Or has there been no differentiation made?

I've posted here before about the different types of testing, and the positives/negatives.

I just read the linked journal article and it seems to be a really interesting advance in testing capability.

I mentioned in a previous post that our Gold standard at the moment is RT-PCR which requires isolation and amplification of the COVID genome, but this is a new technique which utilises a relatively new technology in molecular biology called CRISPR which has applications from genome editing, to diagnosis, to potential cancer cures and even designer babies.

Using this, these researchers were able to create a test that appears to be at least as sensitive (and anecdotally moreso) than our current test (meaning fewer false negatives), while being just as specific/accurate (meaning no extra false positives), and the real kicker is that it can give a result in 15 minutes.

If it works at scale as well as it does in this paper, it could be a game changer.

Reactions: 2 users
Here in the UK, we’ve got this new strain wreaking havoc. Are these cases in NSW and Vic the old strain or the new highly infectious one? Or has there been no differentiation made?
Only information I've seen is that the strain in the northern beaches cluster originated in the US, and the latest grog shop cluster is a different strain.

Seem to be fewer hospitalisations and no deaths, but it might be early days yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
At the start of their outbreak, they also had massive delays and people turned away. It takes a few days to build up the capacity.
It will probably take more than a few days. People need to understand that there is only a certain level of staff capacity in the system, especially related to nurses. The public system is calling people back from desperately needed leave to meet this demand.

Only information I've seen is that the strain in the northern beaches cluster originated in the US, and the latest grog shop cluster is a different strain.

Seem to be fewer hospitalisations and no deaths, but it might be early days yet.
There have been cases of the UK strain in hotel quarantine.

Reactions: 1 users
The worst public health crisis in the world has faced in 100 years and yet the PRC is still giving any efforts to identify its origins a single digit response. Campaigners need to be held to account by the world over.

The worst public health crisis in the world has faced in 100 years and yet the PRC is still giving any efforts to identify its origins a single digit response. Campaigners need to be held to account by the world over.
The investigation is due to begin soon, but one of its leaders has a long work history with the controversial lab and has declared in advance that the virus wasn't leaked from there. It's going to be like the hotel quarantine inquiry, just on a bigger stage.

Boost Juice Employee Chadstone Shopping Centre tests positive, food prep with fellow staff and then on to Public could be an escalation point :(

The AMA is right. Who cares about their political leanings when there is a risk to the rest of Australia
Just as an aside Antman a couple of people have posted about the political leanings of the AMA.
What do you and others think they are?

Just as an aside Antman a couple of people have posted about the political leanings of the AMA.
Is the AMA more of a Union or is it a professional association like CPA? How does it relate to the various Colleges (of Surgeons, gps etc) what percentage of doctors are members?

Shouldn't you ask those who are concerned about the AMA's leanings rather than those that aren't? Lee raised it, ask him why he is not a fan.

Turns out Victoria was not an outlier with Corona getting out of hotel quarantine security - four times in a month in NSW.

Looking forward to Peta Credlin, Baxen-face and the Dan Andrews haters to tear into the NSW premier for this.

Reactions: 1 users
Shouldn't you ask those who are concerned about the AMA's leanings rather than those that aren't? Lee raised it, ask him why he is not a fan.
Ok. I assume if he made the comment then he must think they are left leaning.

I’ve had a bit to do with the AMA and that isn’t my experience.

Reactions: 1 user