Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

The real question is.

Will the vaccines be effective on ALL STRAINS of the virus or only the original one???

The real question is.

Will the vaccines be effective on ALL STRAINS of the virus or only the original one???
Apparently the proteins on the new Saffa version have mutated quite a bit and have a few scientists concerned that the vaccines may struggle against it.

The other variants, including the one ravaging the Uk at the moment, haven’t changed significantly, and so it‘s believed the vaccines should be like Tigers and Cats.

The word is that the vaccine should work on the new strains, I don't think the new strains have altered where the vaccine is targetted on the spike proteins (as Midsy has said).

The UK graphs look awful, even on a log scale they look to be doubling cases every 45 days, bearing in mind that is doubling total cases. The UK infections per 1 million people are higher than the USA so this is a very bad situation.

Things seem to be bubbling along a bit here, numbers remain low but the sites of possible transmission are multiplying which is a worry. Testing rates are good in Vic, hopefully NSW is catching up on that score as they had less tests than us a couple of days ago. Really don't want another lockdown.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Chrstmas Day Sydney was designated a super spreader event by many learned experts and amplified by several PRE pundits. 12 days on is it too early to say this was as minimal as BLM and other such ocassions?
NYE was another but it's to early to make a call.

The UK graphs look awful, even on a log scale they look to be doubling cases every 45 days, bearing in mind that is doubling total cases. The UK infections per 1 million people are higher than the USA so this is a very bad situation.

No they aren't. Not sure where you get your data from.

UK is 40,759 cases per million, US is 64,980 (Trump is winning).

Deaths are higher per million though in the UK but they have a strange way of reporting that could be over stating deaths per million. On the other side, the US may have understated deaths from covid, I saw some stats that showed a massive spike in February of deaths from pneumonia.

Just ban returning travellers already.

Take them for a 2 week holiday to christmas island if need be

It's not that hard

Just ban returning travellers already.

Take them for a 2 week holiday to christmas island if need be

It's not that hard
With a vaccine in sight, reckon the federal government needs to weigh up the price of continuing to bring them home right now - even if just the financial aspect is considered and the impact on Australian residents' lives is disregarded.

Anti-masker in Florida hospital warns COVID-19 not like the flu

An anti-masker with COVID-19 has struggled to breathe through a video where he warned people: “You don’t want to end up like me.”

Chuck Stacey issued the plea from his hospital bed in a Facebook post after he became seriously ill with coronavirus.

In the footage, shared by a friend on Monday, Mr Stacey said he was wrong about the coronavirus pandemic which has killed 1.86 million people around the world.

The video was captioned by Mr Stacey’s friend Daniel Uhlfelder: “My friend didn’t wear a mask because he believed the lies from our leaders. Now, he’s close to being intubated. He asked that I share this.”

With oxygen tubes in his nose, Mr Stacey then said in the video: “I didn’t wear a mask. I should’ve. I didn’t.

“I believed this was just the flu, that it was all going to go away, that it was political. I didn’t think a mask would help.”

Struggling for breath, he added: “You don’t want to end up like me. I’m having trouble breathing. I may have to be intubated if I get any worse.”

Mr Stacey also urged sceptics to change their beliefs and protect themselves and their families.

“If wearing a mask can reduce your chances of getting this even by five per cent, just wear a mask,” he said.

“Do it for your children, your loved ones. Do it for yourself.”

In May, Mr Stacey attacked employees at his local Donut Hole for wearing masks.

“I have to say I have had it with the masks that the employees are being forced to wear,” he wrote on Facebook. “It’s just another example of the continued over-reaction to this situation … Please stop so when we come to eat we can enjoy our meal without feeling sorry for the employees.”

Mr Stacey said he had chosen to wear a face shield because he suffers from claustrophobia.

“My doctor came up with the idea of a face shield with social distancing and being responsible with hand sanitiser and [minimising] my contact in the field. I own an IT company so I can work from home. It’s worked for almost a year,” he said.

“Nothing is 100 per cent on this virus and even if I would’ve wore a mask I could’ve still gotten it.

“But the fact of the matter is we have to do everything that we can do to protect ourselves and to protect the people that are really at risk.

“I just thank God that I haven’t given this to someone and taken a life. I would not be able to handle that.”

Mr Stacey also said he had fielded death threats for going public about his battle with COVID-19, in an update on Monday.

“I was wrong, can’t be more wrong. But to wish me death? To say I don’t deserve to be treated? What’s wrong with you people? We’re supposed to love one another, pray for one another,” he said in the video. “I pray for all y’all. I pray you don’t get it.”

National Cabinet meeting Friday to discuss strengthening protocols with regards to returning travelers from the UK & combat the new strain.
Good that they are taking this seriously. Won't get many chances if it gets out.

Meanwhile in the US..hug it out.

Just saw that on CNN, I were trying to add some words to the topic, i have none, the mind boggles!

• Wow
No they aren't. Not sure where you get your data from.

UK is 40,759 cases per million, US is 64,980 (Trump is winning).

Deaths are higher per million though in the UK but they have a strange way of reporting that could be over stating deaths per million. On the other side, the US may have understated deaths from covid, I saw some stats that showed a massive spike in February of deaths from pneumonia.

All figures, cases and deaths, are dependant upon reporting. Different reporting methodologies do make a difference, I remember months ago an article stating Belgium counts more COVID deaths because of their methodology.

You are correct, went back and found the site I looked at, thought it was cases per million where UK was higher, it is deaths.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
On a day when Trump incited his followers to riot at the Capitol Building, over 4,000 Americans lost their lives to Covid. What a mess Trump is leaving behind him.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Back in Australia, no new community transmission cases in either VIC or NSW. Great stuff everyone. From about 60k tests across both states too. Looking good.

Reactions: 2 users