Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I have gone to 6 X footy, 2 X races since start of March. Mask wearing enroute on my line 80-90 %. On way home 20%. PhD in that.

I would add that I spent 90 minutes in the Cricketers pre game at a density no lower than the train home which is under 30 mins. No less likely to catch it there, though they did make sure we at least waved our phones at QR code in the way in,
Noticed exactly same phenomena. Didn’t you know COVID disappears after a footy match?

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Planes from India start arriving shortly.
Given the dire situation over there is there any reason why we can not quarantine anyone returning from India on Christmas Island before they are released to the mainland? Or at the very least Howard Springs? It would have been handy to have proper quarantine facilities set up by now :rolleyes:

I will be staggered if our hotel quarantine system does not leak more positive cases into the community from the arrivals from India. Unfortunately it is out of control over there.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Given the dire situation over there is there any reason why we can not quarantine anyone returning from India on Christmas Island before they are released to the mainland? Or at the very least Howard Springs? It would have been handy to have proper quarantine facilities set up by now :rolleyes:

I will be staggered if our hotel quarantine system does not leak more positive cases into the community from the arrivals from India. Unfortunately it is out of control over there.
Well, this is the whole issue and debate at the moment re quarantine i.e. this deplorable Federal government taking some ** ownership for once and establishing such centres - made all the more deplorable by the fact it can't get this vaccine rollout moving either, and the total risk that it all presents when put together.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think all the flights from India are taking their passengers to Howard Springs.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It would be interesting to know the relevant infection rate of those returning to Howard Springs. Bet that’s kept a secret....

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
70 passengers excluded from first flight from New Delhi, positive or close contacts of positives.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
70 passengers excluded from first flight from New Delhi, positive or close contacts of positives.
I wonder if those Australians would have tested positive, or close contacts, 2 weeks ago

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Interesting take on why India finds itself where it is.

Lucky we have a competent federal government to take responsibility for our vaccine program.......

Yep, good article.

Of course we would never be in such a situation.

I mean, here's a line from the article:

India waited till January to place orders for its vaccines when it could have pre-ordered them much earlier.

Hmm, did we actually have any ordered by then? I suspect so but still we are similarly behind in getting vaccines. The Feds put in another order this week, might arrive byt the end of the year . . . if we're lucky. FFS, I saw an article today that we will have everyone vaccinated, going by current trends which show a big increase in vaccinations recently, by mid 2023. Mid 2023, bloody ridiculous.

We're still arguing about a proper quarantine facility and still thinking about, maybe sometime in the distant future, being able to manufacture mRNA vaccines here.

Another quote from the article:
Opposition parties have called it a "scam", saying the federal government had abdicated its responsibility, opening up "debilitating competition among states".
Sound familiar?

We are so luck we're an island miles from anywhere else. Guess that's why we're called the Lucky Country.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Is there evidence that left progressive governments have proved more effective in combatting COVId? I suspect they have but don't want to reach a conclusion on purely ideological grounds. NZ would be the first evidence tabled for sure.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yep, good article.

Of course we would never be in such a situation.

I mean, here's a line from the article:

Hmm, did we actually have any ordered by then? I suspect so but still we are similarly behind in getting vaccines. The Feds put in another order this week, might arrive byt the end of the year . . . if we're lucky. FFS, I saw an article today that we will have everyone vaccinated, going by current trends which show a big increase in vaccinations recently, by mid 2023. Mid 2023, bloody ridiculous.

We're still arguing about a proper quarantine facility and still thinking about, maybe sometime in the distant future, being able to manufacture mRNA vaccines here.

Another quote from the article:

Sound familiar?

We are so luck we're an island miles from anywhere else. Guess that's why we're called the Lucky Country.

DS
Another reason is that we have a zillion tonnes of iron ore to flog and a Commo country prepared to buy it. And that this is the home of the RFC.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On your point about comparing India and Australia, maybe it's an inherent weaknes of federal systems? Happy to have a swag of counter examples chucked in my face. NZ is not a federation.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You lost that bet.
Huh ? They haven’t even been processed through Howard Springs yet ? They’ve barely touched down for the 14 day stint.

If you can show me the infection rates at the Howard Springs centre, that’d be good but I haven’t seen anything and there wouldn’t even be anything anyway at this stage I wouldn’t have thought.

Last edited:

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Huh ? They haven’t even been processed through Howard Springs yet ? They’ve barely touched down for the 14 day stint.

If you can show me the infection rates at the Howard Springs centre, that’d be good but I haven’t seen anything and there wouldn’t even be anything anyway at this stage I wouldn’t have thought.
I see what you mean now. Was thinking about the 50% who were left on the Tarmac in Delhi.
And now you mention infection rates at Howard springs ABC website says 4 cases pre India flights arriving so we can wait and see if that number changes.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I see what you mean now. Was thinking about the 50% who were left on the Tarmac in Delhi.
And now you mention infection rates at Howard springs ABC website says 4 cases pre India flights arriving so we can wait and see if that number changes.
Yep. Infected cases IN Australia. Eg Vic Health publishes each day new infected quarantine numbers. That’s what I’m talking about. That’s the real risk factor - positive infections inside our borders, not out.

Reactions: 1 user