Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
So let me get this right. Slo-mo backed AZ as the primary vaccine solution (even if he’s ineptly failed to deliver it with any degree of coordination or expediency). Then, he decided it should only be available to 60 year olds and over. Phasing it out.

But now, in a complete about face, he’s indemifying GP’s to give it to anyone 18 and over ?

WTF ????
Ridiculous isnt it

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Don't forget the panicky energency press conference at 11pm to say there is a miniscule chance of blood clots with AZ. That really helped.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Here’s the rub, even with Abbott who I diametrically opposed on most of his positions stood for something, you knew what he valued, who he was. Same for Howard, Keating, Hawke and even Rudd first time around. Not Morrison, he answers questions, says nothing, takes us nowhere, stands for nothing. Crisis after crisis goes missing. Shrinks.Shrivels.

And here’s the saddest part, a certainty for a second term.

I agree with all of this except the last line. If you put polls aside and just look at the seats, you will find that the Libs can't win the next election. There is a small chance they can form a minority, but a majority is near impossible.

Firstly, they have a majority of 1 and Labor needs to win 8 to form a majority.

Secondly, they will lose many of (if not all of) the seats they gained in QLD in 2019. Even Dutton could be knocked over with the right candidate. They will lose seats in WA (Porter is done for). and they will lose seats in Victoria.

Thirdly, where can they win seats to make up for the losses? At most they can potentially win a couple back from independents.

On top of that, there are many grassroots campaigns looking to follow in the footsteps of Zali Steggall (who knocked off Tony Abbott 2 years ago) who are targeting the seats of government ministers. I know for a fact that independents are being sought to take on Frydenberg and Hunt in Victoria. Flinders is definitely winnable with the right candidate.

So let me get this right. Slo-mo backed AZ as the primary vaccine solution (even if he’s ineptly failed to deliver it with any degree of coordination or expediency). Then, he decided it should only be available to 60 year olds and over. Phasing it out.

But now, in a complete about face, he’s indemifying GP’s to give it to anyone 18 and over ?

WTF ????

While I don't agree with the method, I have to say Morrison (for once) got something right. I am fully vaccinated with the Pfizer now, but I would have jumped at the chance to have the AZ if I had the chance. I have always felt compelled to do my civic duty and get the vaccine at the first opportunity I got. There are many others out there with my attitude.

I don’t think the AZ take-up will be high, but I’ll congratulate anyone who puts their hand up to get it.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
An overseas view.

Whilst the bloke quoted in the article makes some very valid points I think he's been a little whiny. This is the first serious full lockdown Sydney has had in over a year (don't think they ever went full lockdown in the first wave anyway?) and it's only for 2 weeks at this stage. Can't imagine how he would have coped if his business was in Melbourne. Plenty have had it a lot worse down here.

People in Sydney need to do the right thing and they'll get through it; if they don't they may see a lockdown like Melbourne had last year. From what I'm hearing about the behaviour up there I wonder if they get it. I've just had to cancel a holiday up there; was due to leave on Friday. I was speaking to the owner of the apartment that I had booked in Manly and she is very dismayed by people's behaviour. She said that there were people everywhere in Manly on Sunday; wouldn't have even known it was a lockdown. Hopefully our border is watertight because I'm not sure they get it up there. Try keeping Sydneysiders from their precious beaches and look out!

But yeah, the vaccine rollout has been an abject disaster.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Great thanks Slomo.

So a year ago, the AMA recommends to the government what the vaccine purchase arrangements should be. They alienate Pfizer (through a junior minister as neither Slomo nor Greg Hunt seemed to think this was important enough for a senior minister), and then "mitigate" their risk by buying a shedload of Novavax (which was nowhere near clinical trials at the time and still hasn't finished), a Uni of Qld drug that failed at clinical trial, 5m Pfizer vaccines and s shedload of AZ. A proper mitigated purchase programme, would have spread the risk equally.

Melbourne goes into another lockdown this year and its, "well, sort yourselves out, you got yourselves into that mess".

Government health advisors recommend AZ only for over 60's.

Gladys *smile* up. Slomos precious Sydney now into lockdown.

Suddenly the govt overrules health advice on only giving AZ to over 60's, and you can sign an indemnity which essentially means that if you die you can only blame yourself.

So mistake after mistake after mistake and only when his precious Sydney goes into lockdown then we have to take the risk because they stuffed up over and over again.

Whats leadership again???

Reactions: 2 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
If i was a State Premier I'd be sending Gladys a bill.

Are her bills being paid for carrying such a huge loads for other states in the HQ setup? Other state stuff ups?

Australia is so good with the tall poppy syndrome. Just laughing at the attacks Im reading towards NSW. Its early days yet. 7 day ave is 16.

Like people couldnt wait to find any small reason to have a crack at a state that has been doing good for over a yr & still might bring it under control in a short period of time. Wish her well as she might get a better balance in managing Covoid outbreaks with regards to economic & mental health issues for the population

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Wish her well as she might get a better balance in managing Covoid outbreaks with regards to economic & mental health issues for the population

Nearly everyone hopes that they have it under control. That the NSW way works so there will be less lockdowns in other places. That Sydney doesn't trigger another massive outbreak across Australia.

I think what you are seeing is the anger and disgust at the hypocrisy of the the Fed Gov and Murdoch press in how they react and respond to the NSW outbreak vs the Vic outbreak(s). It's stark. And when you've been on the receiving end for so long, you have to fight to keep the schadenfreude at bay.

That doesn't mean you want NSW or Sydney to fail.

Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Nearly everyone hopes that they have it under control. That the NSW way works so there will be less lockdowns in other places. That Sydney doesn't trigger another massive outbreak across Australia.

I think what you are seeing is the anger and disgust at the hypocrisy of the the Fed Gov and Murdoch press in how they react and respond to the NSW outbreak vs the Vic outbreak(s). It's stark. And when you've been on the receiving end for so long, you have to fight to keep the schadenfreude at bay.

Agree Baloo. I certainly don't wish failure on Sydney. I hope that they get over this quickly, but as you say the Feds response is totally different. They seem to not be able to look past party political lines, despite Covid not being a labour vs libs issue, but they are making it one.

Vics have a lockdown - lets follow the medical advisory guidelines. No AZ to anyone under 60.
NSW has a lockdown - screw what the medical advice says. Anyone can get the AZ jab, but if you die or get seriously ill, thats on you, but we have to save Sydney, whatever it takes.

Reactions: 1 user

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne

Vic deserves a lot of warranted criticism & can understand media holding back towards NSW since they have set the benchmark.

I dont doubt if we get an explosion of cases in the 100s+ they will cop criticism but they have carried a huge load supporting the country in HQ & imo should get the leniency in not copping critcism. Its comical how quick the attacks across social media.

Dan was back trying to reduce influx of people again. Blaming HQ only distracts from his constanr failures.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Vic deserves a lot of warranted criticism & can understand media holding back towards NSW since they have set the benchmark.

I dont doubt if we get an explosion of cases in the 100s+ they will cop criticism but they have carried a huge load supporting the country in HQ & imo should get the leniency in not copping critcism. Its comical how quick the attacks across social media.

Dan was back trying to reduce influx of people again. Blaming HQ only distracts from his constanr failures.

I disagree.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
So i have had my flu shot and two doses of AZ but I still did my Civic duty today and got tested after experiencing a sore throat and a few body aches.

Reactions: 5 users