Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

vinpaul

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 26, 2009
I can see how you may take my comment that way but please look at the context of it being made. It was in reply to a post that said Republicans were dying of COVID at a rate 8 times that of Democrats. In that way it was a statement of fact that Trump voters are literally dying off. Given the US has over 680,000 deaths from COVID that would not be insignificant.
I would prefer that the US hadn’t had 0.2% of it population die of COVID but they have. My attempt at black humour was noting a bi-product of that
Fair enough Sin I’m all for black humour as a rule. l think that at times l get a little frustrated with certain themes/views pushed on this thread (sometimes a bit too aggressively for my liking) but all good each to their own

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Got a bit frustrated yesterday. The Age, Guardian and COVID Pete listed Victoria’s 80% projection as 86 days. All 3 used the flawed COVID Live projection data. I tried to call them about by saying the data is wrong, but I got jumped on by pro-vaxxers of all people. Weird.
thats weird.
Pro or anti vax is becoming cult like now.
They have their set parameters & attack any comment or anyone who might say something against those views (factual or not).
Society has been flipped, polarised and its disturbing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
thats weird.
Pro or anti vax is becoming cult like now.
They have their set parameters & attack any comment or anyone who might say something against those views (factual or not).

Anti-vaxxers have been a cult for a while. They have successfully managed to recruit a lot more followers by using targeted campaigns to spread FUD at a time when many are scared and vulnerable.

Trying to give anti-vaxxers a fair hearing is what they want. They want their ideology recognised as an acceptable alternative. It can't be because it's dangerous not just to them, but too society. Drink driver laws are less about drunks killing themselves than they are about drunks killing innocent people. Ant-vaxxers need to be treated with the same approach.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Got a bit frustrated yesterday. The Age, Guardian and COVID Pete listed Victoria’s 80% projection as 86 days. All 3 used the flawed COVID Live projection data. I tried to call them about by saying the data is wrong, but I got jumped on by pro-vaxxers of all people. Weird.

Leigh Sales recons Pro-vaxxers are the new worse kind of troll!

we all need to be really careful how we think, talk and write in this extremely volatile period.

we need to think about our position and ask ourselves

'how can I articulate this idea to make the world a better place?"

too many people being nasty.

Im often guilty.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Fair enough Sin I’m all for black humour as a rule. l think that at times l get a little frustrated with certain themes/views pushed on this thread (sometimes a bit too aggressively for my liking) but all good each to their own
all good

There are some diverse views on this thread and as long as it is respectful to each other that is a good thing because in the end they probably represent a microcosm of our society and we can all learn from each other.

I am personally involved with talking to lots of workers about their COVID vaccination status so I am not surprised that there may be a myriad of reasons why people haven't done it yet. There are the obvious supply and existing medical condition issues but as I mentioned in the earlier post I see religious reasons coming out more than I expected but also things like " I haven't got around to it yet". Fear is another one and that is a difficult one because it is about trying to educate people about the relative risks of vaccination or not, not just to themselves but to others. Sometimes existing anxiety issues with people make that conversation not about logic.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

yep.

I only really believe in 3 conspiracies, and this is one of them.

1. China and Russia are waging a war on truth aimed to polarise and destabilise democracies.
2. The LNP are conspiring to profit at the expense of Australia's culture and environment, and
3. The AFL are conspiring against Richmond

None of these involve lizards, tunnels or any day of reckoning. Although the 2022 GF could be a kind of day of reckoning I suppose, and I could be persuaded that Gina Rhinehart is a toad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Would've thought a fairly simple estimate is to take when we hit 80% first dose and add 6-7 weeks - ie, the time between first and second doses on average. I think this looks more like 50-60 days to 80% second dose.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
How do you see the next three months playing out in Melbourne mate?

i posted this on Tuesday. i don't have any inside information btw, but i do see things playing out something like this:

As I’ve said previously, the new Doherty Report modelling was handed to the federal government last week but hasn't been released to the public. If Andrews is ready to provide a roadmap on sunday, then he must have read it.

Any predictions on what the roadmap will be? I’m sure it’ll be something like this:
- percentages adjusted to include 12-15 year olds.
- 60% fully vaxxed: semi-essential retail to open (ie. hairdressers, beauticians, etc) with strict density limits. Travel limit moved to 25km. no home visits.
- 70% fully vaxxed: all retail to open. Hospitality to open with small caps (ie. 10-20 people per room). Travel limits scrapped. 5 visitors per household. offices to reopen at 25%.
- 80% fully vaxxed: Hospitality fully open to the 1 per 4 sqmm rule. 15 visitors per household. Masks outdoors removed. offices to reopen at 50%.
- 90% fully vaxxed: all restrictions removed.

I didn't mention schools. i reckon Prep, Year 11 and 12 will open at 70%. the rest at 80%.

COVID Base are projecting we reach 70% for 12+ on October 27, 80% for 12+ on November 8 and 90% for 12+ on November 21. So theoretically, we could be fully open with no restrictions in 10 weeks.

Anti-vaxxers have been a cult for a while. They have successfully managed to recruit a lot more followers by using targeted campaigns to spread FUD at a time when many are scared and vulnerable.

Trying to give anti-vaxxers a fair hearing is what they want. They want their ideology recognised as an acceptable alternative. It can't be because it's dangerous not just to them, but too society. Drink driver laws are less about drunks killing themselves than they are about drunks killing innocent people. Ant-vaxxers need to be treated with the same approach.

could not agree more. Its one thing to be anti-vax. But its another thing altogether to be openly campaigning and convincing others to not get vaccinated. That’s what really makes me angry.

Don't get me started on Leigh Sales. She openly calls out bullies on twitter, forgetting she has done her share of bullying in her time. Bloody hypocrite.

Would've thought a fairly simple estimate is to take when we hit 80% first dose and add 6-7 weeks - ie, the time between first and second doses on average. I think this looks more like 50-60 days to 80% second dose.

COVID Base are projecting we reach 80% first dose for 12+ on October 5. You would think Pfizer would become the most widely used vaccine from here on in. So reaching 80% double vax for 12+ on November 8 is totally realistic IMO

Last edited:
  • Haha

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne

we all need to be really careful how we think, talk and write in this extremely volatile period.

Im often guilty.
yep, agree.
me too.
Just avoiding things now. A few of my relatives are polarised at both ends of the spectrum on vax.
I dont fully trust any politician. Team Blue, Red, Green or Grey, I just hope we get our freedoms back. When??? no clue

I watch, no joke, videos of the 70s & 80s. Footage (clips from 3 mins to 30 mins) of Melbourne. its unreal via a FB group. Great viewing. Block what is happening now out as much as possible

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
yep, agree.
me too.
Just avoiding things now. A few of my relatives are polarised at both ends of the spectrum on vax.
I dont fully trust any politician. Team Blue, Red, Green or Grey, I just hope we get our freedoms back. When??? no clue

I watch, no joke, videos of the 70s & 80s. Footage (clips from 3 mins to 30 mins) of Melbourne. its unreal via a FB group. Great viewing. Block what is happening now out as much as possible

yeah im starting to use the Ostrich approach to the world.

the radio in my car busted and I realised that without it, driving becomes a kind of information cone-of-silence,

no internet, no radio, no newspaper, no phone.

I realised a cause and effect relationship. I was calm driving, whistling and singing, watching eagles soaring, thinking about the 2017 GF.

so I haven't fixed my radio.

you can get the same effect going for a walk, amongst trees, without your phone.

the other day, I was doing an essential worker job that happened to be on a vast stretch of beach, in a locked national park (true).

the place had been locked for 4 weeks. anyway, I went down to the beach, and all I saw was every kind of animal track in the sand, except human.

dingoes, kangaroos, snakes, eagles, emus.

it was extraordinary.

I felt really self conscious about leaving human prints, so I walked off the beach backwards, kind of smudging out my presence as I went.

But I felt a real peace,

that the world will be just fine, better, long after we are gone

I just hope theres a solar powered highlight reel of Dusty looping eerily on some screen somewhere, forever.

Last edited:
  • Love

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
COVID Base are projecting we reach 80% first dose for 12+ on October 5. You would think Pfizer would become the most widely used vaccine from here on in. So reaching 80% double vax for 12+ on November 8 is totally realistic IMO
Didn't the interval between Pfizer doses get pushed out to 6 weeks from 3 here in Vic?

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Didn't the interval between Pfizer doses get pushed out to 6 weeks from 3 here in Vic?

It is 6 weeks now, that was the advice given to my Grandson yesterday, so I guess that's the current thinking.

One of my daughters had her Pfizer a couple of months ago & she had only 3 weeks between doses.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Pushed out at Health Dept request to allow more first doses to get appointments.
But you can be done at four weeks if you can find an appointment.
Tys did that successfully.
GPs do have vacancies if you look at booking sites.
I know the practice in Yarra Glen has Pfizer places now.

tysonc

Tiger Cub
Feb 25, 2008
As someone in their 30s, I had my 1st Pfizer on 7 Sep at State run centre.
Afterwards, you could book your 2nd dose, but State system would not let you book earlier than 6 weeks after your 1st dose.
I couldn't find anything in the City/inner suburbs until mid-nov, but found a spot in Cranbourne (1+ hours from home) 7 weeks after my first dose in late Oct.
I went onto HotDocs, which is an App for booking GPs, and searched for appointments for 2nd Pfizer dose. It took some hunting, but I found a local GP that had vacancies 3.5 weeks after my first dose (GPs only need proof your 1st dose was 3+ weeks earlier).
My wife, who had her Pfizer a couple of weeks before me, then rang up the same GP and enquired about doses and was told she could come in a couple of days time. She had her 2nd does yesterday and the GP said that they often have cancellations and they are getting extra supplies all the time so appointments are opening up.
I would recommend, if you are looking for 1st/2nd dose, to use HotDocs and/or call your GP, and if you are flexible you may be able to get in on a cancellation.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights

Im often guilty.
Was going to post on politics thread her article about Twiiter. What was most revealing to me was her experience that the worst abuse she cops was whenever she raised questions about Andrews. I knew Twitter was the platform of the left but didn't realise they used it attack journalists such as Sales. Rather Contrary to the high moral ground I associate with those who identify strongly with the ALP.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Was going to post on politics thread her article about Twiiter. What was most revealing to me was her experience that the worst abuse she cops was whenever she raised questions about Andrews. I knew Twitter was the platform of the left but didn't realise they used it attack journalists such as Sales. Rather Contrary to the high moral ground I associate with those who identify strongly with the ALP.

yeah I was surprised too