Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Do you characterise everything other than what Andrews decrees as "let it rip"?
If you do not subscribe to "there is only one Option" "There is no alternative" rhetoric of the Premier does not mean you want to let it rip.

Did I do that?

Nice straw man/diversion but not convincing at all.

The post was about how Murdoch will just use any situation to have a go at Andrews, we've seen the bias in the different treatment of Gladys in the Terrorgraph compared to the treatment of Dan in the Hun. It's bleedingly obvious unless you have an inability to see anything except in black and white, some of us can see nuances.

DS

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Were all these pressures on ICU and resignations last year at the height of the pandemic? when there was there were months over 100 and weeks over 600.
Hospitalisations went under 10 on 25 Oct 2020 and were zero for months on end.. we have reached 100 for only two weeks now and the experts are predicting the collapse of the health system by Christmas.
What is different this time what has changed in hospital resourcing and planning in the last 11 months?
Dont know honestly. Bit i do know the hospital (sry for privacy will never name it) had sent staff at times to support when staff at other hospitals had to isolate. Like anything they do run budgets, they can build new wards, more beds but in the end it needs more staff.

In the past wards have been shut for awhile re staff shortages ( ages ago - unsure now)

He was just providing basic info how he felt. He was able to cope last yr fwiw, but said just starting to get to him. He's ver resilient. I know he does massive shifts. Works in 2 hospitals metro but believe stop going to a country one.

Always just send him text initially if home. Then call when available.

Sry just providing basic info but dont know the indepth stuff. I dont ask & not my place to ask tbh.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
But if the virus gets back into the aged care sector what then...... My parents are in an independent living facility but are coping. We are able to visit them one by one.
Think "independent" is the distinguishing feature there Ian. From that I infer that they have their faculties, and each other, and so a good chance to cope with and understand restrictions and thus they can ride this out and look forward to many more happy years.

Those in a care settings are already on borrowed time, frail, cognition can be compromised even without dementia, and they are living alone. They might be "safe" but they don't necessarily feel that.

As aged care resident rates are over 90% and staff have met their obligations and if a visitor is double vaxed, masks, even PPE worn what more can be done before restrictions are eased? if not now when?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Go down there & ask 'em. Dare u. Go fly the flag for provax.

Its a choice & they dont want it. And that needs to be respected. Govt forcing it on them, well & u scratch yr head why??

Go down there & get firsthand knowledge. Let us know how u go. Dont stay behind the keyboard.
Seriously? You're pulling that one? You think that's acceptable behaviour do you? Let's all just create a mob and go beserk and cause mayhem at every law and rule and regulation we don't like. You think it's okay that they are priviliged to be continue working and have no liability for their actions when hundreds of thousands can't earn an income? They have a right to spread the virus and endanger public health do they?

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
According to the resurrected Guy, Vic Gov said they were going to spend $1.3bn on upscaling ICU last year. That's a fair spend for it to go wasted through lack of staff.
On staffing -- when I worked in India it was common for papers to run stories of gleaming new medical facilities opened by politicians' that then stood idle because there wasn't any staff qualified to operate the gear. Easiest thing is to order a new piece of equipment.
No idea where the $1.3 billion came from. It was hundreds of million $.
Believe me it wasn’t easy getting equipment last year, there was a massive shortage of ICU equipment all over the world for obvious reasons. It wasn’t just about equipment, spaces had to be converted to be ICU ( for isolation, proper ventilation etc) and that cost lots and was also enormously challenging.
ICU staff can’t just be created, they have to be trained. There are lots of doctors and nurses who have some training in critical care and they will be the first ones used and already are but they need to get redeployed which means something else stops. We have a finite resource and the lack of foreign staff coming has made it worse added to extra staff requirements in other areas associated with the pandemic.
Never said it was wasted just that it was incredibly challenging. Anybody who thinks it is easy is living in a fantasy world.

Reactions: 2 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
These are the people that build our infrastructure? What disgraceful behaviour.

What the *smile* do they have against getting vaccinated? What are they scared of?

I've said before but my wife works for a company in the building industry and all the construction workers there are looney tunes, believing all the anti covid conspiracy theories on the internet, with the company owner leading the charge.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
According to the resurrected Guy, Vic Gov said they were going to spend $1.3bn on upscaling ICU last year. That's a fair spend for it to go wasted through lack of staff.
On staffing -- when I worked in India it was common for papers to run stories of gleaming new medical facilities opened by politicians' that then stood idle because there wasn't any staff qualified to operate the gear. Easiest thing is to order a new piece of equipment.

And the major cost is salaries, especially in a country like Australia. I read in the US now they are just throwing new nursing grads into ICUs and Covid care wards, not enough experienced staff and many have quit. It normally takes years for a nurse to be seasoned enough to work effectively in an ICU environment.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
we wont overtake NSW, for 2 reasons. the rate at which Vic cases are increasing is slowing right down.
2nd NSW are about to open, which is going to lead to numbers rocketing again. I know there is no chance they will, but they should consider slowing down their plans to lift restrictions. If their numbers keep tracking the way they are, they could get a lot lower which would significantly slow the rise when they do open.
Are you sure that NSW will rocket?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Why are they resigning? Overworked? Too dangerous? Don't want to be vaccinated?
I can tell you why some are resigning

They are exhausted already and they see a massive mountain in front of them. They are tired of working in PPE all day, of getting a rash on their face from a tight mask hours on end, from working extra shifts because staff have been furloughed and from the relentlessness of COVID cases and then when that stops catching up with surgical and other care backlog and then starting COVID again. Many staff who have been furloughed because of a COVID case have gone into hotel quarantine so as to not infect their families.

I can also tell you that in a few public hospitals that I am aware of the double vaccination rate of critical care staff, which would include ICU, is over 99%. Those not vaccinated are not working in areas they can infect or be infected.

They are tired, including being tired of people being flippant and undervaluing what they are going through.

Anyone who thinks it is too dangerous has left already.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Victoria is getting very ugly
Looking that way.... hopefully everyone can take a deep breath. Without any data I think whenever there is an "announcement" the heat in the kitchen rises and then when all the pro and antis have had their say, the general mood becomes more benign. GF should be a distraction for this week.
"Give them bread and circuses and they will never revolt".

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Were all these pressures on ICU and resignations last year at the height of the pandemic? when there was there were months over 100 and weeks over 600.
Hospitalisations went under 10 on 25 Oct 2020 and were zero for months on end.. we have reached 100 for only two weeks now and the experts are predicting the collapse of the health system by Christmas.
What is different this time what has changed in hospital resourcing and planning in the last 11 months?
Our public hospital system is not built to handle all these extra cases without something being taken away to compensate for it. if it were then everyone would be complaining about how much it cost. The system in normal times works with very thin margins of increases and decreases of activity, most beds are full 100% of the time and an activity increase of 5% can send the system into problems. That's the way public health is funded, barely enough resources to meet demand and some would say never enough.

When COVID stopped in the last 15-18 months at times a few things happened. One was there was a massive increase in people taking backlog leave, there was also a big backlog of surgery that was cancelled during lockdowns which has to be caught up and there were large numbers of outpatient and other appointments that had to be caught up.

I'm sort of finished trying to explain because it all seems so easy to some and to be honest I can't really be bothered anymore.

Reactions: 9 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I can tell you why some are resigning

They are exhausted already and they see a massive mountain in front of them. They are tired of working in PPE all day, of getting a rash on their face from a tight mask hours on end, from working extra shifts because staff have been furloughed and from the relentlessness of COVID cases and then when that stops catching up with surgical and other care backlog and then starting COVID again. Many staff who have been furloughed because of a COVID case have gone into hotel quarantine so as to not infect their families.

I can also tell you that in a few public hospitals that I am aware of the double vaccination rate of critical care staff, which would include ICU, is over 99%. Those not vaccinated are not working in areas they can infect or be infected.

They are tired, including being tired of people being flippant and undervaluing what they are going through.

Anyone who thinks it is too dangerous has left already.

Yep. Imagine having to work double shifts, no leave, for months and months, wearing full PPE - that's not just wearing a mask folks - having to take it off and replace it if you have to go to the toilet, worrying about passing a dose on to your family. And knowing it could get much worse over the next few months.

And dealing with idiots saying it's a hoax and "where's my ivermectin", hostile families, etc. On the latter it's much worse in the states of course - people are literally dying there and families are claiming "you are intubating him to kill him, because you are part of Biden and Fauci's big scam". *smile*..... Nurses and doctors always try to be compassionate but it would be a stretch dealing with these ungrateful idiots day in and day out.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The far-right activist Avi Yemeni was amongst the crowd outside the CFMEU. Doubt that all the people there were actually workers in the construction industry. There must have been less than 200 in attendance anyway, so a very small representative sample of the industry. Essentilly they're a bunch of fringe loonies.

John Setka is clearly a thug, but i'm happy to hear his pro-vaccination radio ad last week. When he first started speaking i was actually expecting an anti-vaccination ad.

the extremes are agitating everywhere.

which isnt new,

and doesnt end well

Reactions: 1 users

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Seriously? You're pulling that one? You think that's acceptable behaviour do you? Let's all just create a mob and go beserk and cause mayhem at every law and rule and regulation we don't like. You think it's okay that they are priviliged to be continue working and have no liability for their actions when hundreds of thousands can't earn an income? They have a right to spread the virus and endanger public health do they?
Hahahahaha typical.
Misleading and out of context. And not look at what i said by fly that angle that has no relevance.

Where the f$@$k did i say that u idiot. Seriously pathetic post. But its okay u got yr ticks.

Show me where u fool ive said protest are good..moronic approach by yrself.

In fact u r preaching thus the reason i said go down there to find out what tjey r saying. Fly yr flag champ. U dont respect the choice in vax. We disagree