Coronavirus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Coronavirus

The latest information from the CDC in the US is that a fully vaccinated person is 8 times less likely to get COVID and 25 times less likely to be hospitalised

Good to have some number behind it.
But I imagine people are going to have much more contact with others now. I know people who think they can’t catch it because they are vaccinated.

But I imagine people are going to have much more contact with others now. I know people who think they can’t catch it because they are vaccinated.
There's people out there who think they can't catch it if they're not vaccinated as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
For an island country with comparatively barely any cooties to the rest of the world. We got way more cases than any other state in the country, per capita of population. Waaaaayyyy more deaths per capita. Way bigger outbreaks from our hotel quarantine system per capita n we somehow managed to set a world record for period of time in lock down. Obviously you n old mate Dan had the perfect system for dealing with the cooties. Pity you all forgot who was doing what whenever.

As for them bush fires, pretty sure there was a shitload of bbq happening in the bush around that area before they let thousands of peanuts all go touristing down there. Perhaps they'd have been a *smile* load smarter to not let them into the area in the first place as there's basically one road through that region. A wind shift was guaranteed to *smile* a lot of people over n even Janes Bunns could have told them where the wind was gunna be coming from.

There's reasons that the states services spend millions to have emergency plans n training systems for things like bush fires n pandemics n they're not for politicians n department heads to ignore n use as arse wipe.
I am not a Dan apologist but one thing that is not true is quarantine breaches, Victoria did not have more quarantine breaks than all the other states, not sure it was even 2nd. It was published earlier on this thread.
By far the biggest contributor to deaths in Victoria was aged care and the main reason for that was the deplorable conditions in the federally regulated aged care sector. I have some personal involvement in this so for me this is an opinion but a fact. If it were not for the state public health sector coming in and virtually taking over many private aged care facilities the death toll would have been much higher.
I don’t really know why Victoria was worse than the rest of the country. Lockdown 2 was far more about contact tracing than hotel quarantine but this current outbreak size is somewhat of a mystery. What I do know is that this government have made some good decisions and some bad decisions and they have had some bad luck as well but they did it without a training manual and despite what you said in your post, there has never been a emergency plan for a pandemic of this magnitude.
There are lots of lessons to be learned from this which range from reform in decision making and the way we arrange public health, the structure and quality of our public sector, the health arrangements between the feds and the states, the level of investment in hospitals, workforce and education planning for more doctors and nurses, reform in private aged care are some of them.
Ranting about cooties ( which is actually the slang name for head lice) and blaming Dan for everything is a simplistic response to a massively complicated set of problems.

Reactions: 7 users
Pretty damn sure we were getting lock downs way faster longer n more wide spread than every other state in the country n guess what. We've got by far the worst record of cases n deaths. Happy to bet my left one that the N.S.W. economy hasn't been whacked anywhere near as badly as ours has these last 18 months.

And if we didn't lockdown it would have been far worse. When we came out of our second lockdown the economy rebounded fairly strongly, certainly far stronger than countries who didn't lock down. There's been a fair bit written about the economic effect of lockdowns vs no lockdowns, suggest you read a bit more rather than just relying on your feelings.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Probably the education and communication about that needs to be better.
Whilst there are very few fully vaccinated people in hospital with Covid and virtually none in ICU who are vaccinated and didn’t have some other underlying condition, there are definitely fully vaccinated people who have caught the virus. I know a couple myself but thankfully neither of them got very sick at all

Reactions: 1 users
There's people out there who think they can't catch it if they're not vaccinated as well.

I know someone who had that philosophy, guess what he's just tested +'ve for Covid & has infected his whole family. We told him months ago to get vaxxed but he knew better.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Evidence is the economy would be worse off without lockdowns.
From where? What "evidence"?

I reckon you will find plenty of articles saying the economy is better off with lockdowns and also better off without lockdowns. There are so many measures of the health of an economy it will always depend on who is writing it and what perspective they are coming from.

So you don't see any potential bias in that article? Who wrote it and why? Who are the 47 economists and what are their biases?

You can read articles by Gigi Foster that will argue the opposite.

I'm sure I could find a stack of other articles by qualified economists arguing against the lockdowns and the cost of them.

Its kinda moot really, we can't change it.

A few quotes from an otherwise positive article and a reason why I can't wait to get my booster.

Waning of immunity is becoming a major issue,” said Oshitani, who said Japan had already started noticing the vaccines waning after three months in the elderly who received their jabs first - not the six months that has been flagged for most booster programs.

“That’s probably why they are seeing the increasing number there and in the United Kingdom. Even with high vaccine coverage, the effectiveness is waning around three months after the second dose of vaccination.”

Dan really doubling down that Victoria will continue to be a vaccinated economy all through 2022 which is different to the welcome all comers scenario in NSW. I don't mind this narrative whilst we drive and strive for highest vaccination rate possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Impressed with Andrews today.
Once 90% full vax the whole place opens fully for all who are vaccinated. That's how it must be.
As he said, we cannot remain shut down to protect those who refuse to protect themselves ( and others).
Everyone will have had ample time.
This is how it must be and in reality this may be " as good as it gets".
Really pleased he has not caved in to the resistant or wacko minority.
Has shown real leadership.
Would have to assume that some time, perhaps after the New Year, non vaccinated people will be given access to more things, otherwise life will be impossibly restrictive for them. Hoping that number of people will become very few.
Boosters needed after six months or so, but will have to wait for science to determine this. Older and frail make less anti bodies and more in need. Young and healthy may well retain good protection for much longer.
Finally good news and a very positive outlook.
Can't wait to get to the country and the beach and get to go out at night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Yes yes yes. The Government has delivered. Rewarding people who do the right thing. And allowing business owners to earn a living like they did before. I really hope these announcements get last of the non anti vaccination people rolling up their sleeve so we can be close to 95% come Christmas time.

Reactions: 2 users
Anti vaccination people are in for a long 2022. Perhaps the might move to NSW.

I think once we are over 90% and people are getting booster shots, they will relax this due to politics. Andrews for when he elected next year will still need to keep some of the upper house MP’s happy so he gets policy through.

Anti vaccination people are in for a long 2022. Perhaps the might move to NSW.

I think once we are over 90% and people are getting booster shots, they will relax this due to politics. Andrews for when he elected next year will still need to keep some of the upper house MP’s happy so he gets policy through.

Black market fake certificates have already started. I reckon it will get to the point where retail & services won't care as long as they get their sale.

Pretty damn sure we were getting lock downs way faster longer n more wide spread than every other state in the country n guess what. We've got by far the worst record of cases n deaths. Happy to bet my left one that the N.S.W. economy hasn't been whacked anywhere near as badly as ours has these last 18 months.
The only thing that's supported the economies to any degree is the Feds blowing up the budget throwing around money like confetti so people could play online shopping.

Absolutely sure the "economy" would have been a hell of a lot better off if the incompetent Federal Lib/Nat Government had not completely stuffed up getting vaccines on time.

The Victorian economy would also be better off if the PM for NSW didn't throw lots of vaccinations their way meaning that Victoria has had a lower vaccination rate for months and is only now catching up because we simply didn't have the vaccines to administer.

We would have got out of lockdowns way faster if not for the incompetence of the Federal government, it really is that simple.

DS

Black market fake certificates have already started. I reckon it will get to the point where retail & services won't care as long as they get their sale.

Gee some people are incredibly thick, I'll risk prosecution and pay heaps for a fake certificate so I don''t have to get a free vaccine.

Morons.

DS

• Love