Cotch and that bump - media and opposition supporters still sooking | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cotch and that bump - media and opposition supporters still sooking

who cares ...........we won that G/F and another one!
shiel got in the way of our captain thats all ..cotch was going for the ball .he had his hands on it .he went lower and harder than that future son-in-law marshmallow
I think Shiel would be embarrassed how he acted after that clean hit .....he was like a stunned mullet .holding his wrong arm ...staring into space like a overwhelmed little boy who pooed himself for the first time on the school grounds !........weak and out of his class and weight division!!
if I was shiel i would have plead with his so called defence team not to highlight that hit again ...............on self respect grounds.
the bombers deserve him
and
the swans flood very bloody game .................end of story!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I could not disagree more. Cotchin was going for the ball and contact was incidental. There have been so many worse off the ball incidents with contact to the head that have gone unpunished in the last few years. I reckon Cunnington whacked blokes off the ball 3 weeks in a row last year and never got rubbed out. Even Selwood this week; it wasn't off the ball but he still belted a bloke in possession of the ball in the head. Nothing to see hear.

That said I am in full agreement with your views on the MRO overall.
Agreed, totally incidental. After the incident, he's on his haunches holding his shoulder FFS. Never once did he hold his head. I reckon the DTLD bump later on is what ended his game.

Agreed, totally incidental. After the incident, he's on his haunches holding his shoulder FFS. Never once did he hold his head. I reckon the DTLD bump later on is what ended his game.

yep, violent agreement. Cotch never took his eyes off the ball. He didn't go past the ball just to make contact. The contact was with Shiel's noggin and Chimp's back. Chimp came away with the ball. Not sure how anyone can think Chimp was guilty of anything. If Chimp was lucky, it's only because the rabid media were dying to have a massive story leading up to the GF.

The MRO's statement of the incident:

"The ball is loose between Cotchin and Shiel. Both players are seeking to win possession and are coming towards each other from right angles," the match review panel said in a statement.

"Cotchin moves down low and braces for contact as Shiel approaches to pick up the ball.

"It was the view of the panel that Cotchin was seeking to win possession as his line of direction was always towards the ball and not his opponent.

"The panel determined that Cotchin was seeking to contest the ball and therefore contact was not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

Reactions: 9 users
I could not disagree more. Cotchin was going for the ball and contact was incidental. There have been so many worse off the ball incidents with contact to the head that have gone unpunished in the last few years. I reckon Cunnington whacked blokes off the ball 3 weeks in a row last year and never got rubbed out. Even Selwood this week; it wasn't off the ball but he still belted a bloke in possession of the ball in the head. Nothing to see hear.

That said I am in full agreement with your views on the MRO overall.

Yeah, the MRO is a lottery. Cotch was lucky though. His intent was for the ball but he dropped his head and was not looking at it. This is how he plays, he throws his body in and he wins the ball, we know this. But he still clipped Sheil's jaw with the shoulder. He'd also had a couple of bumps fined in the season IIRC which meant he was at risk of a third strike suspension.

I have no doubt Cotch was going for the ball 100% but he was still lucky to get out of that and play in the GF, the rest is history.

The comparisons with Shiel's bump this week are just silly, I agree. Completely different.

A big issue in the modern game is many players seemingly have forgotten the need to brace for contact. It’s a contact sport for heaven sake. Protect yourself or get hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
I could not disagree more. Cotchin was going for the ball and contact was incidental.
If you watch it without the tigers hat Shiel is at the ball first, Cotchin eyes him, dips his body/shoulder and drives it straight into him. The ball bounced perfectly to provide a bit of cover by exposing Shiel to the hit. No doubt if you reverse the roles we would be screaming for justice. But given the gravity of the decision it was an easy call not to suspend him. Watch it without bias. I'd almost argue the ball was incidental!

"Cotchin moves down low and braces for contact as Shiel approaches to pick up the ball.
Cotchin didn't brace, he exploded into the contact!! Fancy quoting the MRO for accuracy!

• Haha
If you watch it without the tigers hat Shiel is at the ball first, Cotchin eyes him, dips his body/shoulder and drives it straight into him. The ball bounced perfectly to provide a bit of cover by exposing Shiel to the hit. No doubt if you reverse the roles we would be screaming for justice. But given the gravity of the decision it was an easy call not to suspend him. Watch it without bias. I'd almost argue the ball was incidental!

Truth

Cotchin's was dubious, based on precedent that year. Not Barry Hall "in play/not in play" dubious, but dubious.

Shiel's was nothing like it.

According to Mar Maclure on 360 Cotch ran past the ball to take Shiel out.

Gets better with every telling.

And no surprise Blobbo was cheerleading away.

How long can they discuss something?
All week on radio, talk back, tv shows, print and social media.
Its just overload.
And they are still salty 3 years on.
Haha. Suck it up.

smart footballer Cotchin, played it beautifully and with intent .. perfect timing ..

Reactions: 1 users
According to Mar Maclure on 360 Cotch ran past the ball to take Shiel out.

Gets better with every telling.

And no surprise Blobbo was cheerleading away.

Its like Chinese whispers.
The more people that tell the story the more it changes.
And at what stage did Cotchin go past the ball?

Reactions: 1 users
Its like Chinese whispers.
The more people that tell the story the more it changes.
And at what stage did Cotchin go past the ball?
Cotchin ran past the ball, raised the elbow and broke shiels jaw.

yep, violent agreement. Cotch never took his eyes off the ball. He didn't go past the ball just to make contact. The contact was with Shiel's noggin and Chimp's back. Chimp came away with the ball. Not sure how anyone can think Chimp was guilty of anything. If Chimp was lucky, it's only because the rabid media were dying to have a massive story leading up to the GF.

The MRO's statement of the incident:

"The ball is loose between Cotchin and Shiel. Both players are seeking to win possession and are coming towards each other from right angles," the match review panel said in a statement.

"It was the view of the panel that Cotchin was seeking to win possession as his line of direction was always towards the ball and not his opponent.

"The panel determined that Cotchin was seeking to contest the ball and therefore contact was not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

Perfect & excatly how it happened..

Intention the ball. Shiel holds his arm.. End of story....
Why do they continue to bring this up?

Perfect & excatly how it happened..

Intention the ball. Shiel holds his arm.. End of story....
Why do they continue to bring this up?

The ball is still in dispute & could have bounced straight into Cotch's arms FFS. Like Darcy said 'both players going for the footy'.
Cotch went straight at the ball. Just harder. Shiel actually grabbing the opposite shoulder is hysterical.
I think he was just shocked that he was beaten by Cotchin's intensity.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The ball is still in dispute & could have bounced straight into Cotch's arms FFS. Like Darcy said 'both players going for the footy'.
Cotch went straight at the ball. Just harder. Shiel actually grabbing the opposite shoulder is hysterical.
I think he was just shocked that he was beaten by Cotchin's intensity.

went in Very hard. Loved his attack. Sole purpose..THE BALL.

Last edited: