could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1.

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide
we need a ruck - I share concern of others that we have no one -

last thing I want to see is Tuck being first man up again - you can add Pattison to that as well ( however much he did ok)

is Vickery a chance to make impact like Kreuzer did last year as a number 2 moving into the forward line.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I was thinking about this is the car, listening to the SEN coverage.

Carlton get Warnock. That makes them a lock to take Hurley. Rucks and key backs were major concerns. Warnock solves one of those issues. Hurley solves the other.

Now look at draft order.

Melbourne- Watts. This is a cert.
WCE- Kept Seaby. Will look long and hard at Rich/Naitanui. I think Rich is a much more skillful Rhys Palmer.
FREO- Warnock gone. This pick will come down to the leftover of the Rich/Naitanui and Vickery.
PORT- Need a ruck. Lade/Brogan getting on. Deluca struggling. Big chance to take Naitanui or Vickery.
ESS- Hille/Laycock/Bellchamers. Set in the ruck. Going to go for quick, skillfull types. Sidebottom/Hartlett/Yarran. But are a outside chance for Hurley.
CARLTON- Hurley if there. If not another midfielder. Not going to take a ruck. Warnock/Cloke/Kreuzer/Hampson.
Why we didn't make a run at Hampson as a ruck is another question.
BRISBANE- Charman/ L'Berger/Mitch Clark. Could take Vickery if still here.

In short no way Vickery gets to us. Rucks are the priciest thing to trade for and clubs wont pass up a shot at Vickery.

Now we don't have a third round pick for a Reddan/Roughead type. Pick 26 or a pick after 60 on a ruck. If we don't use 26 on a ruck we have to take two or three late or in the rookie draft and hope that one makes the grade.

Seaby for 26? Hmmm. Just some food for thought.

If we take three late rucks combined after pcik 50 and the rookie draft I will be OK. If we don't then our rucks have been left high and dry for another year. Hopefully CC continues his policy of taking rucks from the rookie draft. I think that will be the way of the future for the RFC.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
I reckon if he isnt drafted by Ports selection then he will be available at pick 8.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
No.

And I'm thinking that the draft cards may be falling towards Vickery being picked up by either Carlton or Essendon who each have a pick before us.

With the next best junior ruckman being Browne, my guess is that our first pick will probably go on an elite genuine midfielder.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Can't see Carlton taking Vickery when they have just negotiated to get Warnock in trade week. With Kreuzer as a developing ruck would mean they are probably looking to solve their lack of height in defence - Hurley maybe?

SkunkDen

Richmond Tigers - Start of a new era
Oct 10, 2007
melbourne
i havent even seen vickery and can answer this question, NO!

against monsters like hille, ottens, charman, campbell, brogan, jolly he will get crushed.
no need giving a young devolping ruckman such big bodies to hav to colide with on a weekly basis in his 1st season.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I think Port are the only danger for Vickery as well unless WC or Freo prefer him to Natanui.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Phantom said:
No.

And I'm thinking that the draft cards may be falling towards Vickery being picked up by either Carlton or Essendon who each have a pick before us.

With the next best junior ruckman being Browne, my guess is that our first pick will probably go on an elite genuine midfielder.

Excellent....happy with that! The more elite mids the better!!

Ruckman can be obtained cheap IMO...

Charman - pick 29
Hille - pick 40
Sandilands - rookie elevation
Cox - rookie elevation

etc.

peggles

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 4, 2005
tha8ball said:
Excellent....happy with that! The more elite mids the better!!

Ruckman can be obtained cheap IMO...

Charman - pick 29
Hille - pick 40
Sandilands - rookie elevation
Cox - rookie elevation

etc.

i like to hear that too....i'm all for an elite midfielder with pick 8 as well. My vote is for hartlett. i believe he is a big chance to slide to us. Certainly hope so. phantom, what's ur view on hartlett?

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
vickery is not without risk,

he just did his knee, not a great career move for someone who has to bash his body against another 100kg mammoth 30 times a weekend to earn a living.

he is nice and tough and has shown alot of promise, but rucks are notoriously risky to bet on. I think Cc has shown a propensity to take rookie rucks and develop them. Jolly was a rookie and ended up being traded for pick 15 and then playing pivotal role in a premiership.

I hope he rolls the dice on a ruckman late as hartlett/ziebel/sidebottom are all gunna be GUNS.

duro

Tiger Rookie
Dec 20, 2004
WHy were the ruckman cheap in trade week? The new 4 boundary umpire rule, the big rucks are no more, Patterson will come into his own!!! Elite Midfielder for me, like WC, Geelong you can never have enough...

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
We don't need a (ready made) ruck. Worry about that when we get good enough to beat a decent side or two. Keep drafting hard skillful mids....can never ever get enough of them.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
Go the classiest midfielder at 8. And that looks like it could be Hartlett

The ruck rule is going to set Patto well. And at least with Patto he always be a reliable 2nd ruckman so that solves at least half the problem for the next 10 years.

Take up a couple of rucks on the Rookie list and hope that one comes through.

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
IanG said:
I think Port are the only danger for Vickery as well unless WC or Freo prefer him to Natanui.

My understanding is that Port will take Hurley.

Crazy Costanza

Tiger Rookie
Apr 1, 2006
Liam Pickering on SEN just stated that he beleives there is no doubt that Vickery will be taken at Pick 4 by Port Adelaide.

Personally, I hope we take one of the genuine midfielders with Pick 8.

Vickery has already had a knee reco. Pass for me even if he was still available at 8.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
With the four boundaries causing difficulty for old style ruckmen getting to the throw ins what would be wrong with having a CHF who can take all the forward ruckwork. Vickery is mobile a strong mark and good kick for goal so could fill CHF with ease. He's also more than capable of rucking the forward line, leaving the main rucks to do the midfield and back half by lurking a kick behind play.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
TigerMasochist said:
With the four boundaries causing difficulty for old style ruckmen getting to the throw ins what would be wrong with having a CHF who can take all the forward ruckwork. Vickery is mobile a strong mark and good kick for goal so could fill CHF with ease. He's also more than capable of rucking the forward line, leaving the main rucks to do the midfield and back half by lurking a kick behind play.

Hopefully Dean Putt solves this problem. From what I have seen of him, he is more of a tall forward who can ruck, rather than a ruckman who can be thrown forward.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
I refuse to read this post because I am cut we have next to no chance of getting Vickery now. It's a moot question. Just posting here to register my bitter dissapointment :'(