could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Port took a Ruckman with their 1st rnd pick last year.Doubt they will do it 2yrs in a row.

Yeah, punters on here have overlooked that.

Been very impressive in his first year from all reports too has Lobbe.

thomas the tiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 17, 2004
I reckon one this isfor sure ant that is Fremantle will not take Hill with pick 3. They cannot afford to take a risk with drafting due to their tragic history at the trade table. They make our performaces look good. Nobody else has Hill in the top 10 so why are they the only ones that are fiddferennt.

This means that our pick 8 we will not have the luxury of Hartlett or Vickery. It will most likely be one of Yarran, Zeibell, Hill, Trengrove or Sidebottom. And a bit like Framntle with our drafting history it would probably be Zieball or Sidebottom as they are the sure things to play decent football.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
To answer the original question, my guess would be no. I say this because Patto just beat Kleuzner when they went head to head in the ruck this year. So if the best ruck prospect in a generation can't beat Patto in his first year Vickery probably won't either.

He will play senior footy in first year though, but probably more as a forward.

benny_furs

Tiger Superstar
Nov 26, 2006
Bundoora, Melbourne
www.redjane.com
It would be a massive ask for any first year ruckman to ruck, the muscle required makes it too hard to consistently beat even the poorest mature ruckmen.

I think if Kreuzer can play nearly all 22 games (or all?) then Vickery, who is physically more powerful, should aim to play 15 games in his first season. If he's that impressive then it should be no problem, especially at our club.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Kruezer played 20 I think.

Tend to agree. He won't dominate ruck contests but like Kreuzer, he can learn. He can also spend time up forward and develop there. His significantly stronger than Kruezer was but he still will struggle being a Ruck in his first year. It's just too hard. Giving him short stints and time up forward, picking his opponents in the ruck, would be best.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bump.
With Vickery looking like a bust I thought I'd revisit this thread.
Interesting that in recent years clubs have steered clear of taking rucks with high picks for this very reason.
Ty looked great as a junior in the vision I saw but disappointingly he just hasn't come on especially as the ruckman he was no doubt drafted to be.

Almost impossible to predict how young talls will go with so much development ahead.
Watts a similar debacle from the same draft.
No easy task for the recruiters.