could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Col.W.Kurtz said:
Wouldn’t they do that for more than one prospect though?

correct, they would but given these tests are at the clubs expense, ie MRI scans and Vo2 testing then it seems only those under serious consideration would be put through the process.

I'm not 100% sure if they're committed to Hamish but with only a handful of days before the draft I would think they are close to making up their minds.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
bullus_hit said:
correct, they would but given these tests are at the clubs expense, ie MRI scans and Vo2 testing then it seems only those under serious consideration would be put through the process.

I'm not 100% sure if they're committed to Hamish but with only a handful of days before the draft I would think they are close to making up their minds.

Yup. If it is true it seems a indication they are strongly considering him.

Col.E.Kurtz

Tiger Legend
Apr 4, 2005
A bit more info on Tyrone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1TXJukLsU&feature=related

Below was the top in the sprint results from draft camp, Vickery's time is very fast for a 200 cm guy. As pointed out in the video, Vickery sprint time is much faster than Kreuzer's. Big guys who are fast can play KPP. I'm getting pretty keen on Vickery.

1. #39 Ashley Smith, Dandenong, Defender - 2.80 secs
2. #65 Jack Watts, Sandringham, Tall Forward - 2.82 secs
3. #12 Stephen Hill, West perth, Midfielder - 2.83 secs
4. #75 Nic Naitanui, Swan Districts, Ruck - 2.86 secs
5. #34 Tom Swift, Claremont, Midfielder - 2.89 secs
6. #15 Ryan Schoenmakers, Norwood, Forward - 2.90 secs
7. #3 Sam Blease, Eastern, Midfielder - 2.91 secs
7. #17 Nick Heyne, Gippsland, Forward - 2.91 secs
9. #43 Taylor Hunt, Sandringham, Defender - 2.92 secs
9. #30 Luke Shuey, Oakleigh, Midfielder - 2.92 secs
9. #33 Matthew *smile*, Claremont, Midfielder - 2.92 secs
12.#74 Tyrone Vickery, Sandringham, Ruck - 2.94 secs
12.#21 Bryce Carroll, Western Jets, Forward - 2.94 secs

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
Richo is a star!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24694170-19742,00.html

Try, Tyrone Vickery again
Sam Edmund
Herald Sun

JOHN Vickery could see the tears welling in his son's eyes.

It was June 2007 and AFL hopeful Tyrone Vickery was playing footy for Haileybury College when his right knee collapsed under a tackle.

With the biggest year of his footballing life around the corner, the promising ruckman had ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.

At 17 he was about to live every footballer's nightmare. And his father, standing on the fence that day at Xavier College, knew it.

"As soon as he went down I knew that he'd done a serious injury because he normally gets straight back up and on with the game," Vickery Sr said.

"He loves his football. To do his knee like that, being tackled from behind and rolled by two guys . . . he knew what he'd done and it was hard for him."
Related Links

Vickery was shattered. A knee reconstruction and at least 10 months on the sidelines was suddenly thrust upon him.

It threatened to derail everything the AIS AFL Academy graduate had worked for before his final TAC Cup season with Sandringham.

There was the Vic Metro squad, recruiters -- an AFL future was on the line.

But instead of a career meltdown, what followed was a long and gruelling training program held together by the tightest of father-son bonds.

John Vickery played four games for Collingwood between 1971-72. In a lucky case of right place, right time, he is the boxing, weights and rehabilitation coach at Richmond.

Past Tiger knee victims Will Thursfield, Darren Gaspar, David Rodan, Ben Holland and Mark Coughlan have come under his supervision and he knew all too well what his son was facing.

But before the physical repairs started, the psychological wounds had to be healed. Vickery Sr turned to Tiger champion Matthew Richardson.

"He struggled with it for a few days and I knew he was sort of depressed, so I mentioned it to Richo, who said, 'Give me his number. I'll ring him up'," Vickery Sr said.

"Richo told him, 'Listen mate, I did my knee but I came back and played the next year and I got All-Australian'."

It was the spark the 200cm, 91kg teenager needed.

"I was pretty deflated, obviously having it taken away, and he gave me a ring afterwards and really picked me up," Vickery recalled.

"He was able to come back exceptionally well and he just gave me a few pointers and told me to keep my head up. It gives you a real lift, things like that."

Vickery trained five days a week, three hours a day under the watchful eye of his father.

In a freak coincidence, close mate Tom Lynch had also done his knee and the pair, with a couple of other friends, embarked on the long road to recovery together.

Weights, boxing, cycling and eventually running were all part of the program. At one stage the boys were doing 20 repetition 220m sprints on a sun-baked Punt Rd Oval.

"I knew it wasn't the end of the world. With the right amount of work - and I was able to give him the right amount of work - he could come back," Vickery Sr said.

"Being here (Richmond) made it so much easier and he was able to come in three times a week and spend the other two at a gym.

"He used to catch the bus. Sometimes I'd pick him up or his friends would drop him off.

"It was him having the confidence in his leg to know that everything was going to be fine. With the kids, they're very apprehensive about it, (thinking) 'Will I do it again? Is it OK?' ".

By September last year, and with the knee starting to show all the right signs, Vickery Sr planned a father-son trip to Cambodia.

On one of the days he hired a tour guide and two bicycles for a leisurely expedition, only for the temperature to soar beyond 35C and the humidity to go through the roof.

To top it off, the local guide turned the 28km round trip into a seven-hour survival of the fittest.

"I thought it would be good for Tyrone's recovery," Vickery Sr said.

The pair watched Geelong destroy Port Adelaide in the Grand Final and Vickery got a Chinese tattoo on his arm that translates as "Live Free".

For four months he convinced his mum, Helen, it was a fake. "She found out it was real last Christmas and cried," Vickery said.

Vickery said he hadn't felt truly comfortable on the knee until midway through this year and the crucial under-18 championships.

But after a string of outstanding performances in the second half of the season, including several for Vic Metro, he has rocketed up the draft pecking order.

Vickery was named in the All-Australian team and finished the carnival with a three-goal, 12-hitout grand final game against Western Australia, a performance highlighted by several telling marks.

"We hoped to peak around June or July because I knew his touch would be off," Vickery Sr said.

"Being six months out of the game and coming back to play in 10 months and really starting to hit form before the 12-month mark was really good.

"That's football and coming back from injuries is what it's all about. He's done well and he's dedicated."

So immediate has the return to form been, many believe Vickery is certain top-10 selection on Saturday and may go as high as pick No. 4 (Port Adelaide) or No. 5 (Essendon).

"The knee injury gave me an opportunity to work on some real weaknesses," Vickery said.

"I was able to put on a lot of weight over summer and it gave me some time away from the game. I was able to work hard and I'm maintaining it now."

And throughout, Vickery and his father have been like best mates.

"We're very close, especially through this," Vickery said.

"I couldn't have . . . I was extremely lucky to have him in this position."

Vickery finishes his Year 12 exams at Haileybury on Friday.

He wants to pursue a career in environmental science, but admitted it was almost impossible at the moment to concentrate on anything but his uncertain football future.

"You try not to think about it, especially with exams and other things on," Vickery said.

"Every day you end up thinking about in some capacity. You just want it (draft) to come and end the uncertainty over where you're going to go. It's a big thing."

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Interesting profile on on the AFL website on TV.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69477

Obviously pretty keen to get to the Tigers by some of his comments.
Concerning he still has some issues with the knee or perhaps not. Has to monitor it though.

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
Tigers of Old said:
Interesting profile on on the AFL website on TV.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69477

Obviously pretty keen to get to the Tigers by some of his comments.
Concerning he still has some issues with the knee or perhaps not. Has to monitor it though.

Wouldn't be too concerned that he has to monitor it, would happen with any major injuries

Browny would have to monitor his leg, Selwood his knee etc.

Crazy Costanza

Tiger Rookie
Apr 1, 2006
I'm sorry but I would be so annoyed if we took VIckery with our first selection on Saturday. Obviously, I'll support the boy if he is selected, but do people forget that he has had a knee reco. already?

Chances of having a long career (over 200 games) would be very minimal considering the number of injuries he will get during his life as an AFL footballer. If we're desperate for a ruckman, find one with pick 26. How much difference could there honestly be between Vickery and the 4th best ruckman in the TAC?

benny_furs

Tiger Superstar
Nov 26, 2006
Bundoora, Melbourne
www.redjane.com
Crazy Costanza said:
I'm sorry but I would be so annoyed if we took VIckery with our first selection on Saturday. Obviously, I'll support the boy if he is selected, but do people forget that he has had a knee reco. already?

Richo had a knee reco at 21 and made AA the following season kicking 91 goals or so on the way to about 300 games.

One thing I'm worried about is whether he only looks good because of the advantage he's had with his dad giving him access to AFL facilities in the last year. I like his attitude though.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
benny_furs said:
Richo had a knee reco at 21 and made AA the following season kicking 91 goals or so on the way to about 300 games.

One thing I'm worried about is whether he only looks good because of the advantage he's had with his dad giving him access to AFL facilities in the last year. I like his attitude though.

Excellent example of Richo, there are many more also. Obviously you have to respect knee reco's and looking into medical files and make educated assessments, but people are putting way to much emphasism on this.

There are also many examples of junior players with serious injuries and concerns that have gone on to become good players or champions at elite level.

I don't think the club would be sucked in by Vickery if he just had a great attitude Benny, let's keep in mind his dimensions and playing ability. I see it more the other way, it's something that have given them a golden opportunity to really have a good close look at him. For all the testing in the world, both physical and psychometer, they still would also have gotten further insights into him by the amount of time he spent at the club and seeing his work ethic and attitude/personality first hand.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Crazy Costanza said:

Chances of having a long career (over 200 games) would be very minimal considering the number of injuries he will get during his life as an AFL footballer. If we're desperate for a ruckman, find one with pick 26. How much difference could there honestly be between Vickery and the 4th best ruckman in the TAC?
Judd had both shoulders reconstructed before he'd even played a game. It's unlikely that any ruck men of quality will be available by 26. Who would you suggest picking if Vickery is available at pick 8 and the Tigers don't pounce? Another option I've seen mentioned is McKernan, also a ruckman and without Vickery's height.

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
CarnTheTiges said:
Judd had both shoulders reconstructed before he'd even played a game. It's unlikely that any ruck men of quality will be available by 26. Who would you suggest picking if Vickery is available at pick 8 and the Tigers don't pounce? Another option I've seen mentioned is McKernan, also a ruckman and without Vickery's height.

I think McKernan will be a very good tall forward who can have bursts in the ruck
I don't think he is a ruck

wouldn't mind him at 26 though

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
davidrodan said:
I think McKernan will be a very good tall forward who can have bursts in the ruck
I don't think he is a ruck

wouldn't mind him at 26 though

I'm the same. Don't value him at 8, would be fine with him at 26, but he'll be gone by then. Not fussed about him.

benny_furs

Tiger Superstar
Nov 26, 2006
Bundoora, Melbourne
www.redjane.com
Dyer Disciple said:
I don't think the club would be sucked in by Vickery if he just had a great attitude Benny, let's keep in mind his dimensions and playing ability. I see it more the other way, it's something that have given them a golden opportunity to really have a good close look at him. For all the testing in the world, both physical and psychometer, they still would also have gotten further insights into him by the amount of time he spent at the club and seeing his work ethic and attitude/personality first hand.

I think it was a huge advantage having him around the club, he has shown he is pretty much a certainty to be a good player because he has proven he can work hard.

My only fear comes from what happened with John Meesen in 2004. He looked great throwing his bigger body around teenagers but in the AFL he never came on. I really don't have much information about either player so I'm not comparing them by any means! I'm sure the club will know whether Tyrone will continue to be aggressive at AFL level. He sounds like a Greg Stafford type of player actually, gee that'd be nice!

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Crazy Costanza said:

I agree completely. That whole "he has done his recovery" line doesnt sit well with me because there are many players who are never the same after doing a knee injury. Its too hit and miss in my opinion. Add to that the onus of ruckman with early picks and i just dont want to go there at pick 8.

The only thing is that we have no ruck division, so if available Vickery is assured to come to tigerland.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
People very close to Ty are quite expecting him to be selected by Port. Neigh.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
rosy23 said:
People very close to Ty are quite expecting him to be selected by Port. Neigh.

That's fine, we can bring him back home in a couple of years time.