could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

could Vickery handle No2 Ruck job - year 1.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
People very close to Ty are quite expecting him to be selected by Port. Neigh.

Leysy's got a hunch Port may be swinging with this pick. Especially if Freo take Hill at 3.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Jason King said:
Looking that way, Port have 3 ruckmen, two over age of 30 and the other is an unknown. Pretty sure they will go Vickery.
I bloody hope not. He's really grown on me the last couple of weeks. Exactly what we need and would just complement out side going forward so much. That said if we miss out there's a couple of mids who would also be a great fit but I'd love an A grade ruckman. It's been ages since we had one, unless you count Ottens and even that was a while ago.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Leysy Days said:
Leysy's got a hunch Port may be swinging with this pick. Especially if Freo take Hill at 3.

Think he has been a monty to go to Port for a long time.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Leysy Days said:
If leysy was a betting man he'd back Rich/Hartlett in scooper.

I'll back Vickery. I still think Rich goes top 5. It would be a massive shock to me.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Leysy Days said:

Yup, Port will go a midfielder, much to their detriment. Don't get me wrong, they will get a gun. But structure wise they are taking a big risk if they pass on Vickery.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
From what I have seen of TV he could perform at Patto's level if his endurance increases. Best thing about him is he is a rough and tumble ruckman who is very quick and great below the knees and his handballs are quality and he seems to kick well.

This is a classic case for FJ saying to him "Sorry we missed out on you Ty, play dead for the next couple of years at Port but build up your fitness base and we will trade for you during the compromised draft period." There is no way Vic boys would want to go to Port and make it their long term base.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Dyer Disciple said:
Yup, Port will go a midfielder, much to their detriment. Don't get me wrong, they will get a gun. But structure wise they are taking a big risk if they pass on Vickery.

That is why I cannot see them taking a pass on him. Too few rucks.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
SCOOP said:
I'll back Vickery. I still think Rich goes top 5. It would be a massive shock to me.

Agree Scoop. Can't see Rich getting past 3 or 4.

Dyer Disciple said:

Are they DD, Or is it a bigger risk passing on a Rich, Hartlett who're near guaranteed to be 10-12 year centre square mids. Elite midfield talent & depth is king in todays footy ILO.

With Brogan, Lade holdng the forte for Giles & the impressive Lobbe leysy reckons they are ok for rucks.

Depending on who's available dunno if we'll take him, but considering other teams picks/needs Vickery might just be better than 50/50 to be available to us.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
SCOOP said:
That is why I cannot see them taking a pass on him. Too few rucks.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but basically my opinion was the same as yours a few months ago. About a month or 6 weeks or so ago I've come to the conclusion Port are going to go the safer elite talent, which in itself there is nothing wrong with. IF they don't rate TV. I do. I see him as equal to the esteemed midfielders, as equal as entirely different players can be anyway.

Port's midfield in my eyes is overrated, and also going to be lacking in a few years when they can't have Burgoyne and Crones brothers running through it as well as they once did/or will be gone.

They have a few promising youngsters but certainly not a potential A class midfield, and I would say confidently, not as good as ours is shaping.

POrt are in trouble financially, the pressure is building on Chocco and many in SA in the media are saying the style of play and his coaching is hurting them now sponsorship/attendance wise.

Chocco is not a big believer in bottoming out (at the risk of distorting my point) and therefore I think he will give in to the temptation of a quicker fix/midfielder etc. I also suspect SA are very burned by some of their exiting players/experiences and are not super keen on Vic talent over equal or better SA talent.

Leysy Days said:
Are they DD, Or is it a bigger risk passing on a Rich, Hartlett who're near guaranteed to be 10-12 year centre square mids. Elite midfield talent & depth is king in todays footy ILO.

With Brogan, Lade holdng the forte for Giles & the impressive Lobbe leysy reckons they are ok for rucks.

I have had many debates over the years about the whole midfield, KP's etc etc. I agree with you. Midfielders are more important BUT they are also easier to find than rucks and quicker to develop.

For mine, if you have the opportunity at a A class future ruck and you don't have one on your list. You take him. Well in our position (i rate our future midfield as shaping up, admitably another A grade midfielder would be awesome. if our midfield was worse I would go a midfielder).

The only player I would take in this year's draft over Vickery (considering our needs) is Watts or POSSIBLY Nat.

That said. I don't see a lot of point crying over spilt milk (unless it went sour on the back seat of my car) and I agree with you, midfielders are the most important A class division. If we got a Hartlett, Rich, Sidebottom, Swift etc I would be happy.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Dyer Disciple said:
I have had many debates over the years about the whole midfield, KP's etc etc. I agree with you. Midfielders are more important BUT they are also easier to find than rucks and quicker to develop.

For mine, if you have the opportunity at a A class future ruck and you don't have one on your list. You take him. Well in our position (i rate our future midfield as shaping up, admitably another A grade midfielder would be awesome. if our midfield was worse I would go a midfielder).

The only player I would take in this year's draft over Vickery (considering our needs) is Watts or POSSIBLY Nat.

That said. I don't see a lot of point crying over spilt milk (unless it went sour on the back seat of my car) and I agree with you, midfielders are the most important A class division. If we got a Hartlett, Rich, Sidebottom, Swift etc I would be happy.

Good work there DD. Leysy cant argue with any of that.

It just comes down to how high you rate TV doesnt it. If you consider him a lock elite A grader then & he turns out like that, then yeah, mad to overlook if your short on his type. Mad.

Leysy's a reserved fan if him, in that he would be far from disappointed if he lands with us. Just that he considers a couple of other mids (OK mainly one ;D) to be a class or two higher than TV that clubs may rightly ILO take b4 us. Cant blame clubs with earlier picks for that ILV.

Will be quietly happy of we get TV as he fills a massive hole, spose leysy's just got a long held fear of us joining the queue of taking the not quite A grade tall early that has burned various clubs for years on end.

We should still be OK with him, as there's every likelyhood he'll be a tiger if the Port jungle drums are correct.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Leysy Days said:
Good work there DD. Leysy cant argue with any of that.

It just comes down to how high you rate TV doesnt it. If you consider him a lock elite A grader then & he turns out like that, then yeah, mad to overlook if your short on his type. Mad.

Leysy's a reserved fan if him, in that he would be far from disappointed if he lands with us. Just that he considers a couple of other mids (OK mainly one ;D) to be a class or two higher than TV that clubs may rightly ILO take b4 us. Cant blame clubs with earlier picks for that ILV.

Will be quietly happy of we get TV as he fills a massive hole, spose leysy's just got a long held fear of us joining the queue of taking the not quite A grade tall early that has burned various clubs for years on end.

We should still be OK with him, as there's every likelyhood he'll be a tiger if the Port jungle drums are correct.

I'm the same on Hartlett as you are on Vickery, in as much as I would be quitely very happy if we have got another gun midfielder. Would really make our midfield one of the elite looking for the future.

I just really highly rate Vickery.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
IrockZ said:
we NEED Vickery

Simmo is almost done and Patto/Graham are not 1st ruck material
We need Vickery but we also need another A grade midfielder. We will fix at least one of those needs in this draft.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
That's the beauty of it and why I am not too fussed. I was going to be devastated if we passed on Lids or the Chimp. But I won't be fussed if we passed on Vickery for a gun midfielder.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Leysy Days said:
Agreed LD.
Port will take Rich or Hartlett.
Port took a Ruckman with their 1st rnd pick last year.Doubt they will do it 2yrs in a row.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I must state for the record that i really do like vickery and think he is a great player. Was able to hold his own consistantly against Natanui and was also a great tackler and good contested mark. He is a big boy as well so he wont take much to get going at afl level.