Covid and Afl | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Covid and Afl

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
What effect is the Covid19 having on games to date.
Cannot remember so many strange results where the favourite team has been decimated by a more lowly team.
No need to name them here, but leaving our games out of it, how about the Maggies beating the Eagles last night by such a big margin.
There are many other instances over the past weeks.
Is it the travel affecting players?
Is it the perhaps reduced training times?
And why so many injuries this year?
All sport is not only competitive but behind the ears as well.
Is the Covid affecting how players are thinking about the games they play?
Just wondering why such strange results this year.

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
COVId has had impacts to schedule crowds etc Think line 2 though needs explanation. What is a strange result? How many of these were there last year, 2019' 2015?
We always tend to think the current season is unique when the "average" of whatever you want to measure probably changes very little year to year.
But no doubt there will plenty who will have very strident views that yes there are more strange results as these are strange times indeed.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Doesn't seem to impacted the Moggies and Dogs. Not coping many injuries either. But yes a tad strange some results lately for sure!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What effect is the Covid19 having on games to date.
Cannot remember so many strange results where the favourite team has been decimated by a more lowly team.
No need to name them here, but leaving our games out of it, how about the Maggies beating the Eagles last night by such a big margin.
There are many other instances over the past weeks.
Is it the travel affecting players?
Is it the perhaps reduced training times?
And why so many injuries this year?
All sport is not only competitive but behind the ears as well.
Is the Covid affecting how players are thinking about the games they play?
Just wondering why such strange results this year.

Without doing a statistical analysis of variation/wins/losses as 22nd suggests, my gut feel is you are right grey. Look at St Kilda for example, hot streak where they beat us and some other contenders and then get smashed by a lowly Carlton.

Our form too has been all over the place - partly due to injuries and decline of players like Cotchin, but the extremes are so extreme - 2 goals against St Kilda, being smashed by our former bunnies Geelong twice, conceding 7 goals in a last quarter against Collingwood. Definitely some mental demons present I reckon.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It's a real mess which begs the question how Qld never had an outbreak last season with those hubs? Otherwise, should've been done again this season maybe in WA.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
It's a real mess which begs the question how Qld never had an outbreak last season with those hubs? Otherwise, should've been done again this season maybe in WA.
TonyFree, without being an expert I think last year was a different strain of covid.
Not so contagious.
This new Indian/Delta strain is a different beast.

What I find amazing is last year they said if one player got it that would be the end of the season for everybody.
All off, pack it up.

This year if it goes through a club (like GWS) they just pull 5 or 10 players aside and you are expected to pick whatever side you can muster.
Hugely unfair.

Gilquarters just making it up as they go along.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Guardian Covid blog was standing by for a press conference with,

Gil Mclachlan, The president of MFC? and the fed tourism? minister
this morning,

and I havnt read or heard anything about it??

anyone??

I was expecting a Perth final series announcement?

*smile* knows why they'll wheel out the Dees Pres, rather than CEO-elect Shocking?

something pretty weird unfolding I reckon

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Have not bothered to count the injuries by club, but just a looksee and cannot remember so many injuries in past years.
As I said is it a case of lack of proper training at home grounds or is the travel having an effect?

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Assuming you are right GS1, and to me it seems like you are right, and given that I'm hardly a biomechanics expert, I think it has to do with three things.

1. Reduced interchanges - Leading to extra fatigue
2. Reduced soft cap - Leading to less conditioning and less medical oversight
3. Increased time between a goal and the game restarting - Leading to muscles cooling down more

$0.02

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Have not bothered to count the injuries by club, but just a looksee and cannot remember so many injuries in past years.
As I said is it a case of lack of proper training at home grounds or is the travel having an effect?
All will be sorted for next season when C.Scott catches up with the new footy ops boss, B.Scott and TELLS him what further changes he requires to suit his club!..... 1st cab off the rank.... shorter quarters guaranteed!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
Vic, NSW, QLD, TAS, SA all have cases and are in varying degrees of lockdown, so the AFL need to shut the season down until...I dunno, everyone including Soldo is fit. Seems fair.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not the AFLs fault, they’ve been amazing getting things this far, but it’s all becoming farcical now. We need the nation to be vaccinated (don’t we Slo-Mo).

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The fatigue that we are facing in our day to day existence, the players would be feeling it as well.

They've basically been FIFO's for 18 months.

Get the jab.

Reactions: 2 users