Credit where credit's due to Francis Jackson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Credit where credit's due to Francis Jackson

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Francis has copped his right wack at times, but he deserves some credit for his selections of Short, Butler, Castagna, McIntosh and Grimes.

With continued improvement plus Markov, whom i'm sure is going to be a good player, we have improved in this area of recruiting.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Are you serious? FJ had 10 years to build a premiership winning list and failed dismally, but he's made up for all if that because a couple of OK kids? You're having a laugh

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ian4 said:
Are you serious? FJ had 10 years to build a premiership winning list and failed dismally, but he's made up for all if that because a couple of OK kids? You're having a laugh
Read my post again.

funky

Tiger Superstar
Nov 27, 2009
Dont kid yourself he is a shocking recruiter
Should have been given the arse along time ago
He is their to build a premiership list and hasent gotten near it in 10 years at the club

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Too early to be crowing about Short, Castagna and Butler, maybe even Macintosh.

Grimes, yes.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
tigertim said:
Too early to be crowing about Short, Castagna and Butler, maybe even Macintosh.

Grimes, yes.

I did say with continued improvement.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Bennnny said:
The education of the players had been poor. Coming good now so players are getting better.

Yes, we kept Chocco Williams about 3 years too long

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
tigerman said:
Yes, we kept Chocco Williams about 3 years too long

Ooooh, ferocious slap down.

Strange though how since Fly MCrae came on board there's been a raft of youngsters from all areas of the draft have managed to push through to perform at senior level.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
After yesterday I think Frank got Conca right instead of Caddy!

and Darling, who was briefly the favourite of many from the '10 draft.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
TigerMasochist said:
Ooooh, ferocious slap down.

Strange though how since Fly MCrae came on board there's been a raft of youngsters from all areas of the draft have managed to push through to perform at senior level.

Yes it's good isn't, i think Frank has improved in his recruitment of players in the last couple of drafts, and McRae looks to be a very good developer of players.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
tigerman said:
Yes it's good isn't, i think Frank has improved in his recruitment of players in the last couple of drafts, and McRae looks to be a very good developer of players.
I think it's the Clarke influence, FJs recruited so many with a glaring weakness and missed way to many great oppurtunitys with first rounders by been set on a player too far out.

The biggest issue I think FJ is leaving us with is our lack of quality talls and genuine Mids on the list , just inexcusable even if his got a few rookie bargains, don't win flags by building a list around the rookie bargain bin. Throw enough darts at a dart board you'll eventually hit the bulls eye

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
CC TIGER said:
I think it's the Clarke influence, FJs recruited so many with a glaring weakness and missed way to many great oppurtunitys with first rounders by been set on a player too far out.

The biggest issue I think FJ is leaving us with is our lack of quality talls and genuine Mids on the list , just inexcusable even if his got a few rookie bargains, don't win flags by building a list around the rookie bargain bin. Throw enough darts at a dart board you'll eventually hit the bulls eye

It could be Clarke I'm not sure when he took over, I think it might have been after the 2014 draft in which Short, Butler and Castsgna were drafted.
My op wasn't a defence of Jackson, I said that he had been rightfully criticised, my point was that he should be given credit for drafting them. Soldo while unproven was in the same draft, hopefully he might make it as a player, signs are promising.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
tigerman said:
It could be Clarke I'm not sure when he took over, I think it might have been after the 2014 draft in which Short, Butler and Castsgna were drafted.
My op wasn't a defence of Jackson, I said that he had been rightfully criticised, my point was that he should be given credit for drafting them. Soldo while unproven was in the same draft, hopefully he might make it as a player, signs are promising.
I get your point tigerman, thing is FJ should have gone long ago and not had the oppurtunity to have picked up the good late picks that you've pointed out.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
CC TIGER said:
I get your point tigerman, thing is FJ should have gone long ago and not had the oppurtunity to have picked up the good late picks that you've pointed out.

Yep, I can't disagree with that CC.

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
It's interesting to look at our forwards, defenders and mids to see where they came from.

Forwards:
Riewoldt, Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Lennon (or Lloyd), Elton (or Griffiths) - all drafted.
Defenders:
Rance, Astbury, Ellis, Grimes, Conca - all drafted. Only Houli is a traded player.
Mids:
The mids are a mix - all drafted except Grigg, Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy.

If I'm counting right, we had 17 drafted players and 5 traded players against WCE.
This speaks volumes for our drafting ability and/or player development.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's the old chestnut of drafting vs development. Did we draft duds or did the guys who made it develop their game despite our best efforts botch that up?