Francis Jackson Era | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Francis Jackson Era

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Generally I think Frank's done a pretty good job.

2006 (Reiwoldt and Edwards) maybe we should have picked up Eric MacKenzie, Kurt Tippett or Todd Goldstein ahead of Shane Edwards purely from a list management standpoint but otherwise there weren't any real major misses. Sure some picks ended up being busts like Connors and Peterson but both had talent and not much really came after them that we missed out on anyway.

2007 was good (Cotchin and Rance) with the exception of Putty. Should have used a speculative pick on someone like Stefan Martin or Tom Bellchambers but otherwise we did as good as anyone else. Can't blame Frank for the McMahon disaster either. Would have also been able to add Scott Selwood to this draft if it wasn't for Greg Miller.

2008 is interesting (Vickery/Post). There was a LOT of talent around both TY and Jayden. Ty's 2011 was stellar for a young developing KPP/Ruck so we'll wait and see on that one. Post's a bust. Disappointing considering we missed out on some great talent with this pick. Could have had McKernan, Beams, Hannebery, Z Clarke, J Roughhead, S motlop or Rory Sloane amongst others. OUCH!!! Not much after or around our 3rd pick though so will excuse the Hislop selection. We did get Nahas as a rookie that year but geez he stuffed up the Post pick pretty badly.

2009 (Martin/Griffiths/Astbury/Dea). Pretty good so far. Sam Reid was a big miss but a lot of clubs passed as well (taken pick 38). Can understand the logic behind Griff but time will tell. Could have gone Fyfe/Carlisle/Bastinac or Stevens but I'm comfortable with that.Could have had Stratton ahead of Dea as well but we did get Grimes in the pre season draft. The Schulz for Farmer trade was really ordinary though.

2010 COMPROMISED DRAFT. Got Conca/Batchelor/Helbig/Derickx and Houli in Pre Season ang Grigg in a trade. Not bad. I'm not really a Heppell fan either but we did OK considering what was on offer. Jury still out though but first three picks are all capable.

2011 COMPROMISED DRAFT. So far looks good. Ellis/Morris/Elton. Maybe a bit early to tell but I'm comfortable with it.

So all in all I think he's a massive upgrade on Miller but that's not difficult at all. The list is taking shape and no doubt we need to build depth. The compromised drafts have hurt as we'd have a few more core players already but what can you do.

Apart from Post there's not too many howlers but IMO he's missed on a couple of KPP's and Rucks that were available. We wouldn't need to play Miller or McGuane and guys like Derickx had we made a couple of better list management decisions. Rookie selections have also been a bit disappointing too.

I think maybe CC is dragging the chain a bit but how can you tell? Definitely with more spotters and assistance I think Frank's the man to lead us forward with recruiting though. What does everyone else think?

IrockZ

Tiger Champion
Jul 18, 2007
Pretty underwhelming to be honest. Cotchin and Martin were no brainers, Vickery was the right call as was Griffiths imo. Other than Grimes he hasn't really hit on anything past the 2nd round.

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Did mention the old Optimus Grimes!

May look underwhelming but if you analyse the picks there's not a hell of a lot more he could have done. After most of our second/third rounders there aren't many stand outs that were overlooked and picks that were stuffed up. Except with the Post pick which was just horrid. Overall I think he's really solid. If he had the resources that say a Collingwood or West Coast recruiters have then he'd obviously look a lot better, especially with the rookie picks but he ain't too shabby!

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
Probably got taken by all the marks Post took as a junior and thought how good would he be in 6 years time!

I think the rookies are where we have fallen down badly - go to www.footywire.com.au and search though the National draft selections by year on that sight and you won't believe who went as rookies that we could have had on the list or late ND picks for that matter. You need to have a strong constitution looking at our past rookie picks though - it's pretty grim reading.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
taraba said:
Did mention the old Optimus Grimes!

May look underwhelming but if you analyse the picks there's not a hell of a lot more he could have done. After most of our second/third rounders there aren't many stand outs that were overlooked and picks that were stuffed up. Except with the Post pick which was just horrid. Overall I think he's really solid. If he had the resources that say a Collingwood or West Coast recruiters have then he'd obviously look a lot better, especially with the rookie picks but he ain't too shabby!

Sorry. Can't believe I missed that. Time for some glasses me thinks. :hihi

BBC

Here comes the hairdryer.
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
Good summary Tara, I'm a fan of FJ.
We have got our first round picks right in most cases which is most important.
That's where our champions come from.
Greg Beck delivered us players such as Fiora, Steinfort, Pettifer abd Tambling in the first round!

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
How much resposibility does Frank bear for picks used on state league players and recycleds?

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
taraba said:
May look underwhelming but if you analyse the picks there's not a hell of a lot more he could have done.

Jack Darling was a huge miss.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
Well, going on reports we were taking him with our 2nd pick, but West Coast picked him (we got Batchelor).

Hindsight's wonderful, but there were plenty off clubs willing to steer clear of Darling in the 1st round due to his off-field issues.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
puregreen said:
Well, going on reports we were taking him with our 2nd pick, but West Coast picked him (we got Batchelor).

Hindsight's wonderful, but there were plenty off clubs willing to steer clear of Darling in the 1st round due to his off-field issues.

Surely you're kidding right? West Coast didn't pass on him in the first round...oh wait. :hihi

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
taraba said:
Apart from Post there's not too many howlers but IMO he's missed on a couple of KPP's and Rucks that were available. We wouldn't need to play Miller or McGuane and guys like Derickx had we made a couple of better list management decisions.
Post would have been taken ahead of some of the prime mids available specifically for list management reasons.

It's no disgrace to get this wrong. There have been plenty of KPP first round busts by other clubs: Thorpe, Dowler, Grant etc.

Rocklea Tiger

Tiger Rookie
Feb 18, 2012
Good post Taraba, always liked your stuff. Logic over emotion

puregreen said:
Probably got taken by all the marks Post took as a junior and thought how good would he be in 6 years time!

I think the rookies are where we have fallen down badly - go to www.footywire.com.au and search though the National draft selections by year on that sight and you won't believe who went as rookies that we could have had on the list or late ND picks for that matter. You need to have a strong constitution looking at our past rookie picks though - it's pretty grim reading.

Agree, have often wondered whether we get too emotionally attached to those we ask to come down and train and block off other options. Nice is OK, but ruthless might be better. The strike rates at other clubs seem to improving significantly on rookie picks compared to 10 years ago.

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
puregreen said:

With regards to rookies off top of my head majority of the good ones would be put into 3 categories.

Rucks: Jacobs, Cox, Sandilands, Angus ;D
Small Forwards: Garlett, Davey, Nahas, Milne
Medium sized defenders/KPD: Maxwell, O'Brien etc.

This draft excluding Verrier we seemed to target the 2nd/3rd types .

tigs2010

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2009
Disco08 said:

He has full responsibility I believe WAFL and SANFL seniors are scouted just like the Colts and TAC Cup. Not sure about the VFL though. I'm presuming it works the same except Hartley is scouting that area.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003
Cool thanks tigs. Must be hard for him to see a lot of games in WA and SA when he needs to be watching TAC and the u18/16 carnivals.