Credit where credit's due to Francis Jackson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Credit where credit's due to Francis Jackson

poppa x said:
It's interesting to look at our forwards, defenders and mids to see where they came from.

Forwards:
Riewoldt, Rioli, Castagna, Butler, Lennon (or Lloyd), Elton (or Griffiths) - all drafted.
Defenders:
Rance, Astbury, Ellis, Grimes, Conca - all drafted. Only Houli is a traded player.
Mids:
The mids are a mix - all drafted except Grigg, Prestia, Nankervis and Caddy.

If I'm counting right, we had 17 drafted players and 5 traded players against WCE.
This speaks volumes for our drafting ability and/or player development.
Oh *smile*! And we even won the game with all those duds Frank drafted over the years.
Not sure you're permitted to post anything on here that could possibly show Frank n the recruiting team in a positive light poppa. Might be wise to edit or delete your post before the sad sacks notice.

Even more dangerous to suggest our player developers had a positive effect on the players, surely it was nothing more than the players doing it all themselves.

tigerman said:
Francis has copped his right wack at times, but he deserves some credit for his selections of Short, Butler, Castagna, McIntosh and Grimes.

With continued improvement plus Markov, whom i'm sure is going to be a good player, we have improved in this area of recruiting.
Let it go Francis, enough go home mAte.

The facts are he put together a list that's been a contender , competing in finals 3 of last 4 years. That we couldn't win a final could hardly be blamed on him ::)

How will Francis be rated if the Tigers make and win a couple of finals, and the likes of Butler, Castagna, Short, Rioli and McIntosh play big parts?

tigerman said:
Francis has copped his right wack at times, but he deserves some credit for his selections of Short, Butler, Castagna, McIntosh and Grimes.

With continued improvement plus Markov, whom i'm sure is going to be a good player, we have improved in this area of recruiting.

Great obs, tm.

Frank's service will be marked with a plaque. Not a statue.

Cats have a beauty in the new Rising Star winner in Parfitt. I know some of our keen junior observers were very keen on him.

FitenFitenWin said:
Cats have a beauty in the new Rising Star winner in Parfitt. I know some of our keen junior observers were very keen on him.

Bulluss is crying right now.

Dyer'ere said:
Great obs, tm.

Frank's service will be marked with a plaque. Not a statue.

Unless they place it horizontally Jack, the birds won't be able to sh!t on it :hihi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
tigerman said:

Hmmm sounds like he should be in charge of the rookie draft.

tigerman said:

If you throw a handful of darts at a board, you might get lucky with a bullseye very now and then.

Yes.
FJ is scapegoated for decisions that are made in a team environment.
That's just proper diligent governance.

Dimma is another one who has to carry more than his load for team failings.

We need to get away from individualising, and focus on correcting flaws in our systems.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
DirtyDogTiger said:
We need to get away from individualising, and focus on correcting flaws in our systems.

We do, but it takes all the fun out of being the PRE lynch mob.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Dimma is another one who has to carry more than his load for team failings.

Ok. The whole football department and board sucked last year. Our systems were wrong.
Things appear to have changed but we need more data to analyse before we say the correct systems are now in place.

Loving the wins. Loving the vibrant feeling emanating from the Club. Still have that voice in my head telling me it will all fall apart. ;D

tommystigers said:
Ok. The whole football department and board sucked last year. Our systems were wrong.
Things appear to have changed but we need more data to analyse before we say the correct systems are now in place.

Loving the wins. Loving the vibrant feeling emanating from the Club. Still have that voice in my head telling me it will all fall apart. ;D
You touched on it there Tommy. It's amazing how some players are so much better under a different game plan. Smaller running players were really struggling with the stop/start heavily contested plan now we are playing differently Butler, Castagna etc look like ready made players. Conversely players like Lennon are struggling as the pace is too much.

The Mole said:
You touched on it there Tommy. It's amazing how some players are so much better under a different game plan. Smaller running players were really struggling with the stop/start heavily contested plan now we are playing differently Butler, Castagna etc look like ready made players. Conversely players like Lennon are struggling as the pace is too much.

Spot on, the whole football dept have done well.

* They have implemented a game style that is on trend.
* They have had young players developing with the tools to come in and implement the new game plan.
* They have identified and traded in players that have filled glaring weaknesses, ie ruck and midfield depth.

Still a long season ahead, but Neil Balme and the whole football dept have taken big strides in getting the Mighty Tigers back as a powerhouse where we belong.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

ps They just need to snare a couple of big talls in this years draft.

tigerman said:
ps They just need to snare a couple of big talls in this years draft.

I'd much rather they snare us a couple of " good " talls in this years draft :angel:.

TigerMasochist said:
I'd much rather they snare us a couple of " good " talls in this years draft :angel:.
Yep, trade for a good one and try and draft a good one is what I'm hoping for.

Yes, Francis did spot a good one in Butler at pick 67 in 2014 Draft. In his first 2 years he had knee issues and could not train hard enough to get his endurance up but then last season he put more games together and this year was able to have a full pre-season so we are now seeing the promise that Francis saw in 2014.
“Daniel is an extremely quick midfielder or forward who can make things happen with his speed,” sad Richmond Recruiting Manager Francis Jackson.

“He can break the lines from stoppage but also use his speed defensively with his tackling.

“He also has good goal sense and has a knack of getting to the fall of the ball as a forward.”

Pretty much what we are seeing this season.