Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Trying to think of a more dramatic sporting event and I can't.
That four overthrows off the bat - never seen anything so unfortunate at a moment of such significance.

Agree. Just watched the replay and it was an insane finish. Boult was a terrible joice for the super over. He had been the kiwis worst bowler that innings and the ball wasn’t swinging. If he didn’t hit his Yorkers he is very hittable. So unlucky the kiwis.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Great game of cricket...surely one of the best ODIs of all time. So many twists and turns.

But a terrible way for the champion to be decided.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Kiwis very stiff. When Boult caught Stokes he should have thrown it back in before stepping on the boundary. And i can't believe it is not a dead ball when the throw hits the batsmen or his bat. And agree with Jazz about Boult not bowling the last over.

Instead of deciding on most boundaries, Kiwis should have been declared the winner by 2 wickets as they reached the score by losing 8 wickets whereas England were all out.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don't see the need for the 'super' over, other than theatres...After 50 overs, if both teams are tied on runs, then surely it should be the team that took the most wickets wins ?

I'd ask why? In no forms of cricket do wickets matter unless you are bowled out so why should it determine the fate of the game? All forms of cricket, the winning team is down to runs scored so I'd think it makes sense that the result should be determined in some way related to scoring rather than wickets.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Great game of cricket...surely one of the best ODIs of all time. So many twists and turns.

But a terrible way for the champion to be decided.

Agree on both counts, its never nice to lose on technicalities but they have to separate teams in 1 way or the other and something related to runs scored seems the most obvious to me.

I feel for the kiwis, as a pom we have had more than our fair share of sporting heartbreak over the years so I know exactly how it hurts. There were a number of times I thought about going to bed last night (largely to stop Ian Smith from pounding my head with garbage) but something kept me up.

That was probably one of if not the best game of cricket ever, so many ebbs and flows. England certainly got the better of lady luck who was definitely smiling on us last night.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
And i can't believe it is not a dead ball when the throw hits the batsmen or his bat.
Instead of deciding on most boundaries, Kiwis should have been declared the winner by 2 wickets as they reached the score by losing 8 wickets whereas England were all out.

Agree, if it didn’t reach the boundary they would have chosen not to run anyway as that is the done thing.

They may have to look at adding a rule to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

And boult surely knew he was close to the boundary so should have reacted earlier. So unlucky.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
An option would have been to have a second over from each team to determine the result. Most fours is pretty random. Could easily be most sixes, least no balls or wides.

Amazing finish to a pretty good tournament.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree, if it didn’t reach the boundary they would have chosen not to run anyway as that is the done thing.

They may have to look at adding a rule to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

And boult surely knew he was close to the boundary so should have reacted earlier. So unlucky.

I agree they should change this rules, ie. if an overthrow is caused by intentional involvement of the batsment then it is ruled a deadball, not sure whether it should be a deadball or just allow the number of completed runs (probably the latter I would think).

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I agree they should change this rules, ie. if an overthrow is caused by intentional involvement of the batsment then it is ruled a deadball, not sure whether it should be a deadball or just allow the number of completed runs (probably the latter I would think).

Some dispute whether it should have been 5 instead of 6 anyway. The ball was thrown before they crossed so only one run should have counted. Hopefully the kiwis appeal.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Geez, saying now England should only have been awarded 5 runs with Stokes not on strike if the letter of the rule was followed. (When the outfield throw hit his bat).

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Geez, saying now England should only have been awarded 5 runs with Stokes not on strike if the letter of the rule was followed. (When the outfield throw hit his bat).
Hopefully kiwis appeal but it’s not in their nature.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Gee it's a bit "underhanded" for our Kiwis brothers to have to cop that :cool: ;)

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think the part that hurts most kiwis,

We arent a super power of cricket,

We are battlers, and we are fully aware of that,

This opportunity may not come again

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I think the part that hurts most kiwis,

We arent a super power of cricket,

We are battlers, and we are fully aware of that,

This opportunity may not come again
I'm sure that you're proud of the guys kiwitiger, and so you should be. Good on England for their win, but NZ were unlucky and no one can say that they weren't.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Anyway it is what it is, so from here going forward,

Do we continue to say team a beat team b by x amount of wickets ?

Or is it now team a beat team b by x amount of boundaries?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Trent Boult catch that was awarded a 6 shows the stupidity of that rule. He caught it, controlled it but stepped on the boundary padding but the ball was a metre inside the playing field.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
The Trent Boult catch that was awarded a 6 shows the stupidity of that rule. He caught it, controlled it but stepped on the boundary padding but the ball was a metre inside the playing field.

Good point. It should only matter where the ball was caught and completed.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Good point. It should only matter where the ball was caught and completed.
The rule dates back to when the boundary was a fence, and it was preventing you from leaning on the fence to take a catch, or even climbing the fence to reach a ball. It's probably moot now that the boundaries have been brought in and are now defined by ropes.

< NRL | Boxing >