Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
MacGill took 12/352 for the series and had 7/220 before the last Test. Not a whole lot better actually and given their respective reputations, it's an interesting choice.
Warne was replaced by Colin Miller who took 3/66 for the Test.
Cheers 23

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Peter Siddle to play for Tassie for the next 2 seasons.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Perfectly set up for the last day, England leading by 170 with two wickets in hand. Pitch is doing a little bit but still pretty decent.

As I noted when they beat England in the Caribbean last year, there is a quiet renaissance happening in West Indies cricket. No superstars yet, but Holder is a terrific, smart, all-round cricketer and leader getting better. Gabriel is a big, tall, strong, fast bowler who takes wickets in clumps, Roach is the best bowler to left-handers in the world, and Joseph is a promising young quick. Chase bowls some handy offies while also playing a steady hand in the middle order. They bat all the way down, without having a genuine star quality batsman. They are a disciplined, hardworking mob as opposed to the brilliance and flair of their heyday, but it's nice to see them competitive again.

Reactions: 4 users

bigwow

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Reckon the windies can chase 200, if Brathwaite holds up an end, and the others bat around him.
Plenty of holes in the Poms top 7, both openers & Denly good for 30 and out, only Stokes is test quality, with Root out.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Perfectly set up for the last day, England leading by 170 with two wickets in hand. Pitch is doing a little bit but still pretty decent.

As I noted when they beat England in the Caribbean last year, there is a quiet renaissance happening in West Indies cricket. No superstars yet, but Holder is a terrific, smart, all-round cricketer and leader getting better. Gabriel is a big, tall, strong, fast bowler who takes wickets in clumps, Roach is the best bowler to left-handers in the world, and Joseph is a promising young quick. Chase bowls some handy offies while also playing a steady hand in the middle order. They bat all the way down, without having a genuine star quality batsman. They are a disciplined, hardworking mob as opposed to the brilliance and flair of their heyday, but it's nice to see them competitive again.

I agree they aren't the easy beats they have been over the last 10 years. I watched a bit of the game yesterday and I'm pretty sure they said Holder is rated the best all rounder in the world which I wouldn't be surprised about. He now has a bowling attack around him that can support him and allow Holder to be a strike bowler rather than having to lead the attack like he's had to over the last 5 years. Agree on their batting too, relatively defensive but disciplined and seem to value their wickets.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Reckon the windies can chase 200, if Brathwaite holds up an end, and the others bat around him.
Plenty of holes in the Poms top 7, both openers & Denly good for 30 and out, only Stokes is test quality, with Root out.

Probably a bit harsh on the openers, particularly Sibley. I reckon he will be a good player. I think Burns is a stop gap. Denly I totally agree with, he's not good enough at test level and at 34 I'd be surprised if they continued to perserve. For what he provides I'd prefer to get games into a young player. Crawley looks like he will be good IMO, add Root and Stokes with Pope (also a good young player that I think will become a good test batsmen) then there is enough there for the short to medium term.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I read somewhere that we haven't played the Windies in a test series for 6 years or something like that and not much less for ODI's. We used to play them all the time.

bigwow

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Probably a bit harsh on the openers, particularly Sibley. I reckon he will be a good player. I think Burns is a stop gap. Denly I totally agree with, he's not good enough at test level and at 34 I'd be surprised if they continued to perserve. For what he provides I'd prefer to get games into a young player. Crawley looks like he will be good IMO, add Root and Stokes with Pope (also a good young player that I think will become a good test batsmen) then there is enough there for the short to medium term.
There's a few holes in Sibley's technique good bowlers will exploit, haven't seen much of Pope or Crawley, Buttler poor, would rather Foakes.
Archer being found out a bit too.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I read somewhere that we haven't played the Windies in a test series for 6 years or something like that and not much less for ODI's. We used to play them all the time.
The last time we played West Indies in a Test series was 2015/16 in Australia.
The last time we played them in 5-Test series was 2000/01 in Australia where we won 5-0 and the margins were an innings and 126, an innings an 27, 5 wickets, 352 runs, and 6 wickets.
From that series on, we are 21-1 and four draws.
The last time they beat us was at St Johns in 2003, by 3 wickets.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
England,s team selection is an odd one.
With Root, Stokes and the fast bowlers its the nucleus of a top3 team. But Ando and Broad are done.
So do they prepare for a new generation built around Archer?
It doesnt seem like the selectors know what to do,ie the depth isnt there nor is the young talent. Just drifting along

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
England,s team selection is an odd one.
With Root, Stokes and the fast bowlers its the nucleus of a top3 team. But Ando and Broad are done.
So do they prepare for a new generation built around Archer?
It doesnt seem like the selectors know what to do,ie the depth isnt there nor is the young talent. Just drifting along

It does feel like that a bit. I don't think Anderson or Broad are done yet, but they won't be there for much longer. I can see what they are doing with both, having some experience to lead an inexperienced bowling attack. I think there are more younger bowlers than batters coming through. I like Sam Curran, Tom Curran is ok too (but probably more limited overs). I think they want that experienced bowler and whilst Mark Wood is 30 he's only played 16 tests.

I'm not sure why Johnny Bairstow is not batting, he's the right age group for this group, and whilst his technique looks uncomfortable, he generally gets the job done in the middle order.

The depth of batsmen for me is the biggest question for England at the moment.