Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
England 3 for 100.
Lots of no-names for the poms, though you might know them mr P but it will be all on Root in the 2nd innings

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
England 3 for 100.
Lots of no-names for the poms, though you might know them mr P but it will be all on Root in the 2nd innings

Its a young team, probably one of the youngest England have had in a long time. 3/207 though apparently the pitch is very slow.

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sibley is the kind of opener you want when your middle order is fragile. He sells his wicket dearly. He's tedious to watch though, and hardly aesthetic - some might say ugly. But he makes runs. Almost all of them through the legside. Zero offside game. It means he refuses to nick off, one of the main modes of dismissal for a top-order batsman, but makes him painful to watch. Like Steve Smith without talent or fluidity. Or a cover drive.

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Sho
Sibley is the kind of opener you want when your middle order is fragile. He sells his wicket dearly. He's tedious to watch though, and hardly aesthetic - some might say ugly. But he makes runs. Almost all of them through the legside. Zero offside game. It means he refuses to nick off, one of the main modes of dismissal for a top-order batsman, but makes him painful to watch. Like Steve Smith without talent or fluidity. Or a cover drive.
Showed his dismissals last night, consistently caught off the hip or flicking to the leg side. He'd be pretty easy to dry up.

MD Jazz

Tiger Legend
Feb 3, 2017

Yeh he'd give you the shits as the bowling side. Looks very average but hard to remove. PLayed with guys like that, and with others that tore apart everyone in the nets and averaged high teens/low 20's whilst looking like Brian Lara.

I see Root went out to a full ball again, watch how poor his footwork is. He is possibly the worst batsman I've seen average high 40's in test cricket. Why bowlers often feed his back foot play is crazy. Full and straight and you'll eventually get him, he just never gets forward.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/cri...ot-dismissed-for-23/ckcpafsqd006l0go07x6o7dv1

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeh he'd give you the shits as the bowling side. Looks very average but hard to remove. PLayed with guys like that, and with others that tore apart everyone in the nets and averaged high teens/low 20's whilst looking like Brian Lara.
Substitute Mark Waugh for Brian Lara and I resemble that remark. (I had better pull and hook shots but his cuts and cover drives had me covered. Off the pads though, identical. :p )

I see Root went out to a full ball again, watch how poor his footwork is. He is possibly the worst batsman I've seen average high 40's in test cricket. Why bowlers often feed his back foot play is crazy. Full and straight and you'll eventually get him, he just never gets forward.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/cri...ot-dismissed-for-23/ckcpafsqd006l0go07x6o7dv1
Yep, guys like Cummins and Hazlewood must lick their lips. Holder too, he's very good at bowling full and getting it to leave the batsman just enough.

It was always how to get Steve Waugh out as well, yet bowlers broke their backs trying to bounce him because he looked uncomfortable against it.

Nassar Hussein did a good breakdown of Root's back and across and how it's changed since he was making runs for fun a few years ago - basically that his trigger movement now leaves him with too wide a base, with his weight on his heels, unable to get any forward momentum. Compare with Smith, who has a pronounced back and across but still gets all his weight forward when the ball's full.

bigwow

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Watching the third test, Windies v, Poms, Rakheen Cornwall is a big unit.
Kemar Roach bowled well.
Stuart Broad still gives me the shits.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Been loving catching a few of the one day games from yesteryear on Fox lately.

Just watched Dean Jones make 145 at the Gabba, interestingly he was run out on 3 and would have been gone with a third umpire.

The techniques of those guys during the 80s/90s are so far superior to today it isn't funny.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ireland have chased down 328 runs against England in an ODI. There biggest ever run chase, they got there off the second last ball :clap2

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Pakistan 2/121 at tea on day 1 of the first Test v England. Babar Azam is such a classy player, so good to watch.

The quality of the Sky coverage is so superior to the Nine goons or Fox here. Great special on the Pakistan situation. As much as cricket needs a strong West Indies, a strong Pakistan makes the game compelling as well.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Surprised to see not one comment here on last night's fiasco. We do this alot in white-ball cricket. Batting second, our openers often put us in an unassailable position only to get dismissed. Nrs 3, 4, 5 bat like the game is all over, and then 6, 7 and 8 aren't up to it. Pathetic really.

While watching the game (here in Denmark last night my time) I was struck by the absurdity of playing a T20 game in front of no crowd at night. Cricket, or indeed any sport, was first played at night so that more people could attend the match after work. Now there is no crowd. Yes, I get that there is still a TV audience, but if they were obsessed with that, they could have played the game during the day, broadcast it at night, and save a huge electricity bill. And in this case, if they'd played it at say, 11.00, it would have been prime time viewing in Australia.