Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
too much talk not enough walk from the baggy green .. not enough runs, and too great a reliance on a bowling attack that faced a great mix of skill, stone-walling and flair from the Indians ..

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That was exhilarating. India was too tough for us.

But questions need to be asked. This was close to an 'India A' team and our bowling was full strength. Something has gone wrong.
Yeah we only have 2 batsman.

Smith and Marnus who've carried our batting the past 2 years pretty much on their own.

Last edited:

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Gilchrist and Marsh retired at the same age, and Healy was long gone.

Not saying he definitely needs to be replaced. I don't know who would be a suitable captain, for starters. But needs a review.

Yeah I agree I don't think he needs to be replaced but his mistakes cost us all the same.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
After Tests of 207 and 306 overs, did CA issue a directive: No more three-day Tests?

Seemed to be little assistance for the bowlers in Sydney and Brisbane except for the occasional one that turned square off a crack today. At least Brisbane was fast...

Who was the last team to score 325 on the last day to win in Australia?

Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
After Tests of 207 and 306 overs, did CA issue a directive: No more three-day Tests?

Seemed to be little assistance for the bowlers in Sydney and Brisbane except for the occasional one that turned square off a crack today. At least Brisbane was fast...

Yes the pitch preparation for those tests was poor

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Test tour of South Africa in Feb. What's our team?

Pucovski looks the goods if he can stay out there. Warner is miles ahead of anyone else. He has his baggers but he also has a Test average of 48. We'll go with those two. with Marnus and Smith at 3 and 4 and almost certainly we'll persist with Green at 6. Leaves number 5.

Wade has failed. 36 Tests, nine scores over 50 at an average of 29.87. Once every four Tests he gets to 50. And he's our number 5. Gawn.

Head. The incumbent No.5 at the start of the summer. Has the typical SA leftie flaw of trying to hit everything through either point or square leg. Decent average of 39.75, my tip is they go back to him despite his flaws. Meh.

Maxi. Here is the development problem. How does a bloke of his talent get to 32 years of age with only 67 first-class games under his belt? Because he gets picked to bat No.7 in meaningless ODI series when he could be playing 4-day cricket to make him a better Test batsman? Because England no longer allows county clubs to be finishing schools for young overseas batsmen? Mark Waugh scored 10,000 first-class runs before his Test debut - at 25! - many of them for Essex. Hussey played close to a decade of county cricket prior to his Test debut.

T20 cricket has a lot to answer for. It has basically run concurrent with Maxi's career. He has spent more days playing T20 cricket than first-class cricket. He's made 11,600 white ball runs, compared to 4000 red ball. But he's a multi-millionaire, thanks to the IPL.

Nonetheless, he should have been persisted with. We don't have the depth of talent to continue ignoring one of the four most talented batsmen in the country, whether Justin Langer digs the switch-hit or not. He should be on the South African tour, if not in the first Test team.

Paine. Dumb. Dumb, dumb cricketer. Sorry, Leysy. Look how many attractive 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s he's made over more than a decade, for three centuries. That's because he's dumb. Nowhere more obviously than his captaincy. A worse DRS man than Shane Watson. He's been a steady hand in a crisis, but... But. 36 years old. Conservative. Defensive. Dumb. But - who else? To skipper? To keep? I'd be interviewing for both jobs.

Cummins. Champion.

Starc. I've been a defender and I reckon Paine let him down in the first innings, not having slips for Rahane and Sundar when they edged him, and dropping Sundar as well. But. If it's not swinging... We have some talented bowlers in reserve - Patto, Jhye Richardson (big fan, would go well in England and on the seaming Sth African wickets).

Lyon. He's no Warne (or MacGill) but who else is there? Swepson?

Hazlewood. Inked in for me.

Reactions: 4 users

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
One of the great test wins that by India. The world's best bowling attack just got a dose of humble pie. That one will hurt.
Justin Langer said he was in aure of our attack. The reality is Cummins & Hazelwood stood alone. Lyon down this series & Starc done means we don’t have the best bowling attack. I’d replace Starc with Jhye Richardson.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Thank God the test series is over, now we can focus on the cricket that really matters, BBL.....

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Test tour of South Africa in Feb. What's our team?

Pucovski looks the goods if he can stay out there. Warner is miles ahead of anyone else. He has his baggers but he also has a Test average of 48. We'll go with those two. with Marnus and Smith at 3 and 4 and almost certainly we'll persist with Green at 6. Leaves number 5.

Wade has failed. 36 Tests, nine scores over 50 at an average of 29.87. Once every four Tests he gets to 50. And he's our number 5. Gawn.

Head. The incumbent No.5 at the start of the summer. Has the typical SA leftie flaw of trying to hit everything through either point or square leg. Decent average of 39.75, my tip is they go back to him despite his flaws. Meh.

Maxi. Here is the development problem. How does a bloke of his talent get to 32 years of age with only 67 first-class games under his belt? Because he gets picked to bat No.7 in meaningless ODI series when he could be playing 4-day cricket to make him a better Test batsman? Because England no longer allows county clubs to be finishing schools for young overseas batsmen? Mark Waugh scored 10,000 first-class runs before his Test debut - at 25! - many of them for Essex. Hussey played close to a decade of county cricket prior to his Test debut.

T20 cricket has a lot to answer for. It has basically run concurrent with Maxi's career. He has spent more days playing T20 cricket than first-class cricket. He's made 11,600 white ball runs, compared to 4000 red ball. But he's a multi-millionaire, thanks to the IPL.

Nonetheless, he should have been persisted with. We don't have the depth of talent to continue ignoring one of the four most talented batsmen in the country, whether Justin Langer digs the switch-hit or not. He should be on the South African tour, if not in the first Test team.

Paine. Dumb. Dumb, dumb cricketer. Sorry, Leysy. Look how many attractive 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s he's made over more than a decade, for three centuries. That's because he's dumb. Nowhere more obviously than his captaincy. A worse DRS man than Shane Watson. He's been a steady hand in a crisis, but... But. 36 years old. Conservative. Defensive. Dumb. But - who else? To skipper? To keep? I'd be interviewing for both jobs.

Cummins. Champion.

Starc. I've been a defender and I reckon Paine let him down in the first innings, not having slips for Rahane and Sundar when they edged him, and dropping Sundar as well. But. If it's not swinging... We have some talented bowlers in reserve - Patto, Jhye Richardson (big fan, would go well in England and on the seaming Sth African wickets).

Lyon. He's no Warne (or MacGill) but who else is there? Swepson?

Hazlewood. Inked in for me.

I very much like what you say.

Wade - no. I remember watching the Test century Maxwell made in India and I thought ... at last! Six months and three Tests later and he's gone. Hasn't been heard of since in the red-ball game. And I'm still wondering what happened. I suppose scores pf 23, 14, 38 and 25* against Bangladesh were not going to cut it, but we did lose one of those Tests so they couldn't have been all that bad.

I've liked Paine but his time has come. Carey? Is Smith "allowed" to be captain? I have not wanted Australian cricket to go back to that but there are few options. Marnus?

Never been sold on Lyon despite the odd match-winning haul. They kept saying during this Test it was his 100th and he has 390-odd wickets. Fewer than four per Test. Is that enough from your front-line spinner?

Starc may be done, too.

Home series losses have historically been a rarity for Australia. Aside from England, none prior to 1979/80. Coming at a fair clip now. Ten in all.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah I agree I don't think he needs to be replaced but his mistakes cost us all the same.

Whether he needs to be replaced or not is debateable, but at 36 whats the succession plan? I don't see it. Paines not good enough to play in his 40's, certainly not in the key positions that he plays so where is the succession plan for keeper and more importantly captain. Maybe Marnus? But he's still a baby in terms of tests played, so that leaves Smith or Cummins but should bowlers really be captain? I'm not sold.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How long has the Aussie team been in hubs? There didn’t seem to be much happiness out there this test series. Not looking for excuses but the situation due to covid is far from normal for these seasoned players. The freshness of the young Indian players may have worked in their favour. I can definitely see this series ending some careers.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How long has the Aussie team been in hubs? There didn’t seem to be much happiness out there this test series. Not looking for excuses but the situation due to covid is far from normal for these seasoned players. The freshness of the young Indian players may have worked in their favour. I can definitely see this series ending some careers.

From the outside (as a pom in Aus) there defo seems to be some staleness about the team, particularly in the bowling attack.

Is there a spinner out there to replace Lyon? I'd be looking at someone ahead of Starc, surely an average of 40 in a home series is bar far and away the worst figures he has ever posted. At the very least he is out of form.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I’m a massive fan of Pant and Maxwell they’re match winners, and just what test cricket needs.
Pant ****ing near won India the SCG test and won them the Gabba test. What’s the odds of Maxwell getting picked in the test side........ no ****ing chance :mad:

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Starc fan but he looked ripe for a rest in the second innings at Sydney. Pace was back up here but something was missing. Was treated with disdain at times.

Only 30 so should rebound, but might have to fight for his place.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Pucovski), Phillipe, Renshaw, Swepson, Richardson, Meredith, Carey, Whiteman, time to start looking to some of the younger blokes.

Maxwell? Surely Maxy would be better value than Wade at #5 and can bowl some spin.

Kurtis Patterson aint a kid but he scored a century his last Test and would be better in the middle order than Wade.

I must admit I don't follow cricket much these days so my finger aint on the pulse anymore.

Admittedly I have no idea anymore who is in form or out of form or who is doing what but the same old's are done its time to move forward and bring in fresh blood.'

Wade and Head should join the likes of the Marshes, Khawaja, Burns, and Hanscomb out of calculations.

Warner is not much good away from Australia and is getting on, should he be under the scope too?.