Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Lyon didn’t have a great series, Starc almost done, played an injured Warner, top order not settled ie Wade,Head,Burns & Paine poor reviews, captaincy & keeping a little down resulted in this series loss.

Good summary

Test tour of South Africa in Feb. What's our team?

Pucovski looks the goods if he can stay out there. Warner is miles ahead of anyone else. He has his baggers but he also has a Test average of 48. We'll go with those two. with Marnus and Smith at 3 and 4 and almost certainly we'll persist with Green at 6. Leaves number 5.

Wade has failed. 36 Tests, nine scores over 50 at an average of 29.87. Once every four Tests he gets to 50. And he's our number 5. Gawn.

Head. The incumbent No.5 at the start of the summer. Has the typical SA leftie flaw of trying to hit everything through either point or square leg. Decent average of 39.75, my tip is they go back to him despite his flaws. Meh.

Maxi. Here is the development problem. How does a bloke of his talent get to 32 years of age with only 67 first-class games under his belt? Because he gets picked to bat No.7 in meaningless ODI series when he could be playing 4-day cricket to make him a better Test batsman? Because England no longer allows county clubs to be finishing schools for young overseas batsmen? Mark Waugh scored 10,000 first-class runs before his Test debut - at 25! - many of them for Essex. Hussey played close to a decade of county cricket prior to his Test debut.

T20 cricket has a lot to answer for. It has basically run concurrent with Maxi's career. He has spent more days playing T20 cricket than first-class cricket. He's made 11,600 white ball runs, compared to 4000 red ball. But he's a multi-millionaire, thanks to the IPL.

Nonetheless, he should have been persisted with. We don't have the depth of talent to continue ignoring one of the four most talented batsmen in the country, whether Justin Langer digs the switch-hit or not. He should be on the South African tour, if not in the first Test team.

Paine. Dumb. Dumb, dumb cricketer. Sorry, Leysy. Look how many attractive 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s he's made over more than a decade, for three centuries. That's because he's dumb. Nowhere more obviously than his captaincy. A worse DRS man than Shane Watson. He's been a steady hand in a crisis, but... But. 36 years old. Conservative. Defensive. Dumb. But - who else? To skipper? To keep? I'd be interviewing for both jobs.

Cummins. Champion.

Starc. I've been a defender and I reckon Paine let him down in the first innings, not having slips for Rahane and Sundar when they edged him, and dropping Sundar as well. But. If it's not swinging... We have some talented bowlers in reserve - Patto, Jhye Richardson (big fan, would go well in England and on the seaming Sth African wickets).

Lyon. He's no Warne (or MacGill) but who else is there? Swepson?

Hazlewood. Inked in for me.
Wow ... great summery Spook :cupgold agree with most of this
Thinking of going with Harris to open with Warner in the short term ..
Then play Pucovski at 5 .. ( well pinched the idea off Carter ;) but think this is the go in the short term )
If fit would play Patto in front of Starc
Lyon has been disappointing .. maybe his time is coming to an end .. has been good . Swepson is developing well .. Pope is another young spinner that is coming along well
Paines time has come .. might see out the SA series but would replace with Carey as suggested ..
Yeah no idea who captains ? Cummins ? Smith ? Manus ?

What a game.

Just reinforces that Test Cricket is the best cricket. Talk of this series and this test will be heard for decades, unlike just about anything from the shorter forms of the game.

When it got to about 3 or 4 down for the Indians and their run rate was ok but not spectacular, I just thought that whoever wins this deservedly wins the series. Little surprise it was the Indians. They were the better side and they were the better side through better discipline in both batting and bowling.

There are serious issues in Australian cricket. I am not as up to date as I was a couple of decades ago but I figure it would be impossible to be up to date in terms of working out who are the up and coming players since there are no Shield games on for long periods of time every summer. This has to change, it is killing our test team.

There are major gaps in the Australian team.

Lyon has been good, but the GOAT? Give me a break, I'd rate a pile of off spinners ahead of him and then we get to leg spinners and pace bowlers. Just not the goat at all - Embury would run rings around him for a start. Probably still our best bet as a spinner for the moment but I have never felt he looked dangerous and threatening like Warne did.

Wade: out, not test standard, simples.

Warner has looked good at times but his average away from Australia is very suspect, let's see how he goes in SA.

I suppose we keep Harris.

Smith, Labuschane and Puckovski definitely stay in.

I would persist with Green for a little while although I am not convinced by all-rounders unless they are very very good, think Botham, Imran Khan et al.

Paine - looks to be at the end of his career, should go to SA and retire but very hard to see who can replace him, figure Smith can't be captain again.

Starc needs better form, Hazlewood should be ok. Clearly Cummins is a gun, give him a well earned rest and keep him happy.

Well done India, not only saved this game but came out and won it.

The pitches too were a bit weird, how can a 5th day pitch, both in Brisbane and in Sydney, be so flat and easy to play? Still, India took 20 wickets, we didn't.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Always thought it was a p!sstake. It has to be, doesn't it?
Well he is THIRD on the all-time Australian Test wicket taker's list on 399 behind only Warne (708) and McGrath (563).
That alone is high praise.
And you have to go as low Benaud 10th (248) to find the next spinner, and Hugh Trumble 26th (141) to find an off-spinner.
But it's all due to volume of cricket and his average, 32.12, is sh!te.
If you go down the list of Australian bowlers in order of most wickets, you have to go as far as Michael Kasprowicz in 32nd place (113 wickets at 32.89) to find a worse average.

Reactions: 1 users
Well he is THIRD on the all-time Australian Test wicket taker's list on 399 behind only Warne (708) and McGrath (563).
That alone is high praise.
He's great for an offie in Australian conditions, but doesn't have the silent menace of a Harbhajan or a Bishan Bedi. Leaving Murali out to avoid controversy.

I didn't mean it was a total p!sstake - he's obviously very good - but kind of an in-joke among the team. I would rate e.g. Derek Underwood clearly ahead of him.

Reactions: 1 user

But it's all due to volume of cricket and his average, 32.12, is sh!te.

so call him '3rd GOAT'

jeez Paines chatter detracts from my test experience.

and fancy being called an adulterous Melbourne *smile* head?

what's with that?

I shouldn't let it irritate me so much, but it does.

With this so called Indian “B” team winning this test series it , for some reason, makes me realise what an under appreciated result it was back in 1977/78 when Australia’s C team (remembering WSC had 28 signed Australian players) beat a full strength India 3-2.

It's fair enough that a few players have question marks on them. But what about Langer. As coach, he has lost a 2 test series against Pakistan, lost 2 series against India on Aust soil. Beat Sri Lanka, and the Kiwi's and drew a series against England.

Reactions: 3 users
It's fair enough that a few players have question marks on them. But what about Langer. As coach, he has lost a 2 test series against Pakistan, lost 2 series against India on Aust soil. Beat Sri Lanka, and the Kiwi's and drew a series against England.
His record in charge of WA was no good either.

Reactions: 1 users
this is probably unpopular, but I find the Aussie cricket team somewhat unlikable. I was really pleased for the Indian guys, what a gutsy performance.
There's not a lot to go on. Paine's chatter seems to mostly be typical 'keeper stuff. Smith I neither like nor dislike; he's kinda distant in an offbeat genius way. Warner I can understand. Wade overdoes the aggressive toughguy thing. We tolerate Labuschagne's posturing while he's getting runs; in another era he'd be a wanker. Gotta love Pat Cummins.

I dunno, you only get the snippets you're allowed to hear when they decide to turn the stump mics up, and the strait-laced responses to the media.

They're harder to like when they're not winning!

His record in charge of WA was no good either.
Lehmann was a way better coach. Warner stuffed him, Smith and the WA lad though. How Warner gets a game after that is beyond me. Nicks it to the slips or keeper for fun these days and clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed

this is probably unpopular, but I find the Aussie cricket team somewhat unlikable. I was really pleased for the Indian guys, what a gutsy performance.
Agree with this.
I am on a cricket discussion forum where there are a few Aussies, but it's mostly English and Asian folks. There was a thread celebrating the win yesterday being updated mostly by the Asians but one of the poms chimed in with something like "congrats India, any win against those obnoxious Aussies is a good win". It was way worse than that - I can't find the thread again to copy the exact text.
I sat myself down to respond, mainly with something based on the fact that we were at least law-abiding (referencing Ben Stokes), but as I calmed down and tried to construct my reply, I realized I basically had to agree and thought better of it.