Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Marnus keeps on making runs for fun.

Marnus has been the key here for me, even moreso than Warner. The way he left the ball in this mornings session was outstanding and IMO the 1 thing that swung this innings (again even moreso than Warner being bowled on a no ball) was the Root "drop" (I'll call it that because it should have been caught) when he was standing at least a metre too deep. Marnus doesn't give many chances and when you get a chance to get him, you just have to take it which Root didn't. I think he was on about 15 at the time.

The reason why I think this was more important than the Warner one, is because having Marnus play that role (and Smith too) is it gives Warner so much more freedom to play aggressively. Getting Marnus and Smith cheaply is the most important thing to do when playing the Aussies.

England have bowled better than the scorecard shows, but within that you have to give credit to the batsmen too, particularly as I say for Marnus, his reading of the ball and in particular the length was outstanding.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Stokes has bowled at least 16 no balls this innings and been called once. That's *smile*.

Agree on this and it helps no-one not calling it. Aussies should have more extras, but also calling them allows Stokes to realign his run up and delivery.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think Englands quicks have bowled quite well, but geez, the decision to pick Leach has been a shocker. It hasn't helped that he's been throwing Pies down but geez those figures are poor in a 20/20, let alone in a Test.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think Englands quicks have bowled quite well, but geez, the decision to pick Leach has been a shocker. It hasn't helped that he's been throwing Pies down but geez those figures are poor in a 20/20, let alone in a Test.
11 overs 1-95

Bryce McGain type figures !!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
some people are really stupid. You log on the Channel 7 App to watch the cricket and they show a scorecard - well that’s exciting to watch to watch tick over - I could do that for hours.

So I check out Kayo, and all they show is footage from that stupid sky cam - you can’t see the ball from that angle, got no idea where it goes after it’s hit because it goes behind the cam.

what happened to good old filming the game from behind the bowler - do you have to sit down in front of a tv to do that.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah that's what I mean, fine to use the third umpire but in this case it is not working and they have just thrown their hands up and ignored it instead of the on-field umps doing what they did for years and calling them.

Stokes has bowled at least 16 no balls this innings and been called once. That's *smile*.
Just more of the onfield umpires not doing their jobs properly n deferring things to the video ref. 16 no balls bowled for the day by Stokes, but the only one that was picked up by the video ref was the wicket ball? Technical glitch my arse, three umps n none of them doing their job properly.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got a quick score check as I was leaving work. Aussies were 5 for a snifter more than the Poms total. Quick splash to get all shiny clean after work n an hour or so at days end.
Even if the dodgy weather in Brisvegas stuffs up any chance for a result, the Poms look to have made a total meal of the start to this series.
No Broad
No Anderson
Horror batting collapse after choosing to bat on day one.
Dropped catches, misfields n no balls all over the place on day two.
Warner, Labuschagne, Head all running rampant with the bat.
Stokes jarred a knee or something.
Robinson looking completely stuffed after just one days bowling.
Leach can't even bowl pies, they're soggy custard tarts.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Got a quick score check as I was leaving work. Aussies were 5 for a snifter more than the Poms total. Quick splash to get all shiny clean after work n an hour or so at days end.
Even if the dodgy weather in Brisvegas stuffs up any chance for a result, the Poms look to have made a total meal of the start to this series.
No Broad
No Anderson
Horror batting collapse after choosing to bat on day one.
Dropped catches, misfields n no balls all over the place on day two.
Warner, Labuschagne, Head all running rampant with the bat.
Stokes jarred a knee or something.
Robinson looking completely stuffed after just one days bowling.
Leach can't even bowl pies, they're soggy custard tarts.
Good Times

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah that's what I mean, fine to use the third umpire but in this case it is not working and they have just thrown their hands up and ignored it instead of the on-field umps doing what they did for years and calling them.

Stokes has that open action where his body is between his front foot and the ump, so maybe they can't see.

A few years ago before they got the 3rd ump to call them, Australia lost a test to India by fewer runs than Ishant Sharma bowled missed no-balls.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Leach bowls left arm, throws right arm. I've never seen that before. Maybe he should bowl right arm, couldn't be worse.

You know what else couldn't be worse - England's disgraceful over rate. And their borderline cheating, now-16-year-old habit of bowlers going off for a shower, massage and a nap after every spell.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think Englands quicks have bowled quite well,

I thought they did better than quite well Posh. I thought they were pretty damned good in the morning session considering that on paper they look a bit pedestrian and lacking firepower. Possibly a tad short of the perfect length on the Gabba. Didn't think they got Warner and Marnus coming forward quite enough to make the big breakthrough.

That said we were, quite frankly, very lucky to go to lunch one down.

Problem was, Leach had a shocker, Stokes has a niggle, and the other bowlers were just worn down with the added work load during the afternoon sessions.

Makes you wonder what their attack could have achieved with conditions like those on the first day.

In defence of Root, I believe in two mantras in Test Cricket. One of those is always bat first if you win the toss. The other is never enforce a follow-on. Batting last is a sure fire way to lose more than you win.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I fully understand those who are calling Roots decision to bat in those conditions, with the bowling attack he has, as shocker. But history is clearly on his side if you want to win, and furthermore, the English batting was pretty damn poor all things considered.

At the end of the day, I can't recall seeing an Ashes series, or any other test series for that matter, decided on the first coin toss, but it sure feels like it might have been here.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
some people are really stupid. You log on the Channel 7 App to watch the cricket and they show a scorecard - well that’s exciting to watch to watch tick over - I could do that for hours.

So I check out Kayo, and all they show is footage from that stupid sky cam - you can’t see the ball from that angle, got no idea where it goes after it’s hit because it goes behind the cam.

what happened to good old filming the game from behind the bowler - do you have to sit down in front of a tv to do that.
I noticed that too. Who has the app or streaming rights? Like the Brownlow.