Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Both wickets were from stupid shots, so we haven’t got dismissed by their good bowling yet.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
Both wickets were from stupid shots, so we haven’t got dismissed by their good bowling yet.
True, though the ball that dismissed Khawaja did grip & turn. At least one of the 2 currently at the crease need to make a big hundred to keep the hosts at bay.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Sunil Gavaskar saying Warne wasn’t the greatest spinner because his record v India was poor. Says that the Indian spinners and Murali were better. Murali loaded up with 186 wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in 25 tests against those 2 minnow nations. Warne only got to play 3 tests against these 2 nations for 6 wickets. Also, Muralis average v Australia was a lot higher (36) than his career average of 22.

Oh, and Murali chucked it.

Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Sunil Gavaskar saying Warne wasn’t the greatest spinner because his record v India was poor. Says that the Indian spinners and Murali were better. Murali loaded up with 186 wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in 25 tests against those 2 minnow nations. Warne only got to play 3 tests against these 2 nations for 6 wickets. Also, Muralis average v Australia was a lot higher (36) than his career average of 22.

Oh, and Murali chucked it.
Sunil hates Australia and Australians. He'd probably argue Tendulkar was better than Bradman.

Murali was a great bowler. But he didn't impact the game like Warne. And his record in india was actually worse than Warne's.

It's all moot, but Gavasker has always been a *smile*

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ch 7 news saying it looks like a tight schedule for the G to host a funeral with 100K or so. I reckon they can do it before our game v Cartoon.

I have to say, watching the news (which I missed the last 2 days because of Warnie), sickens me a bit when you hear or read the word "body" when referring to someone passing away.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Murali was a great bowler, no doubt about it.

But Warne was different. You think of players who, every time they step out you know there is a good chance things will happen. Viv Richards, Andy Roberts, Ian Botham, Dennis Lillee, Glenn McGrath, Wasim Akram, Sachin Tendulkar etc.

Notice anything missing?

Yeah, spin bowlers. Not usually considered strike bowlers, not usually the ones who come in with a sense of anticipation that something is about to happen. The only other spin bowler I can think of who sometimes looked like he would just turn everything on its head was Derek Underwood.

But when Warne came in to bowl it was like a menacing fast bowler had been given the new ball. There was a real sense that fireworks were about to begin, this from a slow bowler? Just such a dangerous cricketer, always looked like he could take a wicket or 4. Some of his most famous balls to dismiss batters just defy belief, the Gatting ball is probably the best example. Gatting was a damned good batter, and he was totally perplexed at what happened. What Warne could do was simply stunning.

A flawed man? Certainly, aren't we all? But he owned his flaws and didn't shy away from admitting them. The stories coming out of his generosity and generosity of spirit are just too numerous to be inaccurate. You can tell the attitude of someone by how they treat people who are less famous or in a lower status position than they are - my daughter use to work at a restaurant near us when she was a teenager and Warne used to bring his kids in there regularly, Warne knew the names of the people who owned the place and the staff, despite the fame he remembered the staff at a suburban restaurant. Treating everyone as an equal, that always gets my respect.

A very sad loss, not least for the fact he had a very keen cricket brain and I'm sure was helping others with his insight and experience.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Was lucky enough to see Warnie bowl on the day he took 7/56 vs the Saffies at the SCG back in 1994.
Sitting in the Bradman stand directly behind his arm & watching him bamboozle SA with a wide range of deliveries was the best day at the cricket I've ever had. Just a magnificent memory. Feel blessed to have seen him play.

Reactions: 7 users

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
Was lucky enough to see Warnie bowl on the day he took 7/56 vs the Saffies at the SCG back in 1994.
Sitting in the Bradman stand directly behind his arm & watching him bamboozle SA with a wide range of deliveries was the best day at the cricket I've ever had. Just a magnificent memory. Feel blessed to have seen him play.
What a great memory to have mate.

• Love

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There are certain players that when you see them you know you’re in the presence of greatness. Warne was one of them.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
A flawed man? Certainly, aren't we all? But he owned his flaws and didn't shy away from admitting them. The stories coming out of his generosity and generosity of spirit are just too numerous to be inaccurate. You can tell the attitude of someone by how they treat people who are less famous or in a lower status position than they are - my daughter use to work at a restaurant near us when she was a teenager and Warne used to bring his kids in there regularly, Warne knew the names of the people who owned the place and the staff, despite the fame he remembered the staff at a suburban restaurant. Treating everyone as an equal, that always gets my respect.

I never met Warnie, but I have also heard repeated stories like what you say above. He seems to have been a very down to earth, man of the people really. He loved his fans and the one thing he loved over anything else, was talking about cricket. There are people that question him but IMO they as you say aren't recognising that Warnie knew he had flaws but the one thing he always was was genuine and respectful.

Also as a pom who saw him rip through us on a number of times, he was a ripping cricketer and as you say he was a frightening bowler. He was also super aggressive as a bowler, hit him for 6, no worries mate, I'll keep ripping them an playing with variations and you'll end up missing one sooner rather than later. Many spinners when they get hit for 6 go defensive, not Warnie. Always looking for wickets no matter the situation.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Or a decent first spinner, although to pick one you have to have one.
No spinner did well did they? Awful cricket wicket.

Ali got 6 but was gifted 3 of the 4 batsmans wickets and got the No 10 and No. 11 when it didn't matter.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
If there's not enough in the pitch to make a contest one way or the other, then it's simply a total woftam even bothering to play in Pakistan. No genuine test at all in this game, just five days of dreary mediocrity for the worlds cricket fans to get pissed off about.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ramiz Raja basically conceding the pitch was doctored to nullify Aussie quicks, as their first choice bowlers unavailable.

Hopefully they won't do this again for the next couple of tests. It really was a joke, the only hope for a result was if the pitch deteriorated massively and quickly and that just wasn't going to happen.

Geez, just prepare a spinners pitch if you want to nullify Australia's quicks.

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Swepson to debut in the 2nd test, I hope he does well. Having said that I don't rate him all that highly.