Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Australia have played this perfectly to date. Batted into day 3 for 556 & bowled out Pakistan for 148, a lead of 408, well done fellas! Don't understand the commentators disbelief at Australia not enforcing the follow on. Still 24 overs left today then 2 full days. Plenty of time. Give the bowlers a breather, score 100-150 for lead of 550+, declare around lunch tomorrow, allowing the bowlers 5 sessions to bowl Pakistan out for the win, seems sensible to me.
Yes, no great surprise that Cummins, being a bowler didn't enforce the follow on.

Reactions: 1 user
Australia have played this perfectly to date. Batted into day 3 for 556 & bowled out Pakistan for 148, a lead of 408, well done fellas! Don't understand the commentators disbelief at Australia not enforcing the follow on. Still 24 overs left today then 2 full days. Plenty of time. Give the bowlers a breather, score 100-150 for lead of 550+, declare around lunch tomorrow, allowing the bowlers 5 sessions to bowl Pakistan out for the win, seems sensible to me.
yeah and then watch VVS Laxman and Dravid score double centuries and win the game against all odds. Which in the case of the sub continent betting nothing would surprise

Pakistan deserve to get smacked in this test. With their tactics and pitches.

yeah and then watch VVS Laxman and Dravid score double centuries and win the game against all odds. Which in the case of the sub continent betting nothing would surprise
i wonder how many sides have won after being forced to follow on, and how many sides have cost themselves victory by not enforcing the follow on and then having enough time to bowl the opposition out again?

i wonder how many sides have won after being forced to follow on, and how many sides have cost themselves victory by not enforcing the follow on and then having enough time to bowl the opposition out again?
We just did that exact thing in the Ashes and cost us a clean sweep.

Cummins made 100% the right call to make hay while the sun shone and the pitch was at its best. When he declared there were still 250+ overs left in the game. We will have 150 overs to bowl them out the second time. He did the right thing.

Isa Guha was saying it's the longest we've batted in the first innings of a Test for more than 30 years. If it's the match I'm thinking of it was the 1988/89 Sydney Test against the Windies when Border took 11 wickets. We took 191.5 overs to make 401 (Boon 149 off 425 balls; Border 75 off 330) and we won our only match of the series by 7 wickets.

The justification will be in the victory. I see the likes of Brad Haddin have changed their tune and now say it was the right call.

Reactions: 2 users
Tugga enforced a follow on in India years ago n we got absolutely reamed, not 100% sure but it's probably the last time we forced a follow on. Obviously there's a need to ensure you have enough overs left to bowl the opposition out after, but there's nothing wrong with having a second bat for a session or two especially if you can get the over night break. Just to refresh the bowlers n also to further demoralise the opposing bats by making that mountain just a little harder to climb. Takes a massive fight by the oppo to survive for a draw n sometimes it's a worthy result, but generally victory is little more than a formality.

Babar is my favourite batsman in cricket to watch. Best in the world IMO.

What odds are Pakistan, they are a sneaky chance

Pakistan 2/192, the sitter that Smith dropped when Pakistan were 2/38 might prove to be very costly. Smith has dropped a few catches in the slips the last few months, a couple of them were dolly's.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Right arm Victorian offie Todd Murphy is a talent. He has just turned 21, i've seen him play a couple Marsh Cup games, and in just his 2nd shield game he has taken 4 of the 6 wickets against Tasmania, he goes alright.

Reactions: 1 users
Pakistan 2/192, the sitter that Smith dropped when Pakistan were 2/38 might prove to be very costly. Smith has dropped a few catches in the slips the last few months, a couple of them were dolly's.
Yeh, his batting isn't what it was and his catching the same

Commentator - Steve Smith doesn't drop those - it was identical to the one he dropped!

Wonder if we will run through Pakistan now?

Nathan Lyon is one of the least effective 5th day pitch spinners I can recall. He just doesn't seem to be the threat other spinners are.

Swepson bowling well this session after starting the day poorly. Deserves a change of luck & wicket or 2. More threatening than Lyon.