Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just read Punter had a heart scare during commentary today and is in hospital. Hope he's OK.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Jeez, no wonder England scored so quickly. Just watching the highlights, everything that got past the infield went for 4. Concrete pitch, rock-hard, lightning fast outfield.

Pretty ordinary Pakistani attack. Naseem is a quality young bowler but is leading the attack at what, 19? Rauf is a T20 bowler (and a chucker). Ali wouldn't get a game for the Tasmanian Foreign Legion ahead of 50-year-old Victorian Peter Siddle and he's opening the bowling in a Test match.

Two days, match total 10 for 838. England 657, Pakistan 0/181.

P.S. Ollie Pope = Greg Dyer.

Last edited:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Jeez, no wonder England scored so quickly. Just watching the highlights, everything that got past the infield went for 4. Concrete pitch, rock-hard, lightning fast outfield.

Pretty ordinary Pakistani attack. Naseem is a quality young bowler but is leading the attack at what, 19? Rauf is a T20 bowler (and a chucker). Ali wouldn't get a game for the Tasmanian Foreign Legion ahead of 50-year-old Victorian Peter Siddle and he's opening the bowling in a Test match.

Over there in Feb earlier this year, Pakistan made a couple of 400+ against our arguably best Test bowling attack in the world.

4-476, 0-252, 7-443. Definitely a batman's paradise. Cummins took a wicket at 22.50 then the rest struggled as most do over there. Starc 34.12, Lyon 44.91, Green 57.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

Harsh on Greg Dyer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Duncan Kellaway's nephew and Matty Elliott's boy hanging in there for the Vics :)

Nice lead of 213, maybe get it to 300 by end of today and have a day to bowl them out.

1670043831893.png

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Its certainly the roadiest road you will see, BUT you do need to give some credit to Englands batters. The approach pushed by McCullum and Stokes was on show, hence the scoring rate. 657 in what 104 overs? Pakistan have 337 in 93. The run rate was terrific and aggressive. They wanted to score quickly to give them some shot (however unlikely) to potentially win this test match but its going to be bloody difficult for anyone to take 20 wickets on this wicket.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Its certainly the roadiest road you will see, BUT you do need to give some credit to Englands batters. The approach pushed by McCullum and Stokes was on show, hence the scoring rate. 657 in what 104 overs? Pakistan have 337 in 93. The run rate was terrific and aggressive. They wanted to score quickly to give them some shot (however unlikely) to potentially win this test match but its going to be bloody difficult for anyone to take 20 wickets on this wicket.
Posh, I think you know me well enough by now to know that I will give English cricketers credit if there is a knife at my throat. But yes, their ultra-attacking mindset has produced some amazing results (against ordinary attacks but also India once?). Like to see them try it in Australia instead of surrendering meekly every time.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Posh, I think you know me well enough by now to know that I will give English cricketers credit if there is a knife at my throat. But yes, their ultra-attacking mindset has produced some amazing results (against ordinary attacks but also India once?). Like to see them try it in Australia instead of surrendering meekly every time.

Haha wouldn't we all.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Vics beat NSW by 69 runs, the Sutherland boy 5/58 and the spinner Todd Murphy 4/42. Both also doing well in the first innings - Sutherland 4/57 and Murphy 3/44. Like the look of them, maybe some more Vics in the Test team in a year or two, yeah I know dreaming man :cautious:

Young Murphy's just 22 years old. First Class Matches 7, Wickets 29, Avg 25.20, Strike Rate 57.6, Economy 2.62.
Sutherland just the 23 years old. First Class Matches 26, Wickets 84, Avg 25.26, Strike Rate 56.3, Economy 2.68.

Really good signs by the young fella's, hope they can sustain it :eyes

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Vics beat NSW by 69 runs, the Sutherland boy 5/58 and the spinner Todd Murphy 4/42. Both also doing well in the first innings - Sutherland 4/57 and Murphy 3/44. Like the look of them, maybe some more Vics in the Test team in a year or two, yeah I know dreaming man :cautious:

Young Murphy's just 22 years old. First Class Matches 7, Wickets 29, Avg 25.20, Strike Rate 57.6, Economy 2.62.
Sutherland just the 23 years old. First Class Matches 26, Wickets 84, Avg 25.26, Strike Rate 56.3, Economy 2.68.

Really good signs by the young fella's, hope they can sustain it :eyes
While Tassie, The Geelong of state cricket ( age wise not succes wise) got beaten by South Australia, yes the same South Australia that would probably be competing with Norfolk and Christmas Island if shield cricket had a promotion and relegation system.

• Wow

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
While Tassie, The Geelong of state cricket ( age wise not success wise) got beaten by South Australia, yes the same South Australia that would probably be competing with Norfolk and Christmas Island if shield cricket had a promotion and relegation system.
In fairness, that 'age wise' Tassie's two fast bowlers are 36 and 38 years old!! Dem ol, you'd think they'd be more suited to the T-20 game :LOL:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Going to be an interesting last day, England retired early and gave Pakistan 343 to chase, 80 already wiped off.

1670155446569.png

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Going to be an interesting last day, England retired early and gave Pakistan 343 to chase, 80 already wiped off.

View attachment 17592

If this game finishes with a result, then its all down to England. They have been the team to push the run rate in the aim of sourcing a result from a very poor test wicket. Hopefully the result comes out for England as I think for the benefit of test cricket more nations need to be pushing towards how to generate a result on wickets like this, rather than tamely accepting the easy runs and the draw that it comes with (as has been going on for way too long)

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Old habits die hard spook, England have been using Australian coaches for a while now, they’ve finally realised that they needed more of them.
Mott, Saker and Hussey got the job done for them in the T20 World Cup.
And test coach Brendon McCullum who is a disciple of the Australian way is showing them how test cricket needs to be played.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Just back from watching the first test in Perth.

Few nervous moments around Punter aside, it was a great match, the West Indies played pretty well I thought. Much closer battle than the scoreboard showed.

• Wow

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Well got to give them pats on the back, aggressive first day, aggressive declaration, came through with a W in Pakistan which many touring teams don't seem to get. Well done England :clap1

1670241177065.png

Jimmy Anderson taking late wickets, another four at nigh on 40 years of age, 17 years after his last Pakistan tour :clap1

1670241303328.png

Last edited: