Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I'm well out of the loop now but going back a few years most guys tended to wear their helmet straps loose so they could chew gum when they batted.
What an interesting thing to do.

Bit like the NHL , I don’t know how the guys move in all the protective gear they have to wear.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
A good effort to make the semis given the side we had. Simply not good enough.
Heavily reliant on Finch and Warner at the top and Starc with the ball. Once we lost the two openers early it was game over.

Whilst the sides will be different in the ashes, we will be heavily reliant on Steve Smith yet again to make a mountain of runs.
The one good thing is there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel with a few new batsmen appearing to be up to the level.

Didn’t watch a lot of the WC, however good to see the final is between a couple of good swing/ pace bowling line ups and not just a pure spin and batting team.

Just from my novice point of view, we were always going to need , Warner or Finch to make a big score and Starc to be on , when neither of those happen we are always up against it it appears.

Credit to Carey, setting a standard of courage

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Yeah disappointing end to a good Campaign seeing we were rated 6 th coming into to the tournament . Also2018 was a a bad/ horror year for Aussie cricket .. we have some good young talent coming , which is good .Think its the end of Maxwells international career .

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Where do the selectors sit with Paine?
If Carey warrants a spot in the Test team, can they justify picking him?

Paine is the skipper there isnt really another option as Smith not allowed to do it.

HOW COME WADE DIDNT PLAY FFS

The Poms would've been pissing their pants laughing knowing we brought him into the squad in Imperious touch and then leave him out for Hanscombe.

Thats the sort of stupid arse decision they used to make.

FML.

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
If Carey can hold, if not develop his batting further, there's room for him & Paine in the test middle order at present.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Really pleased with the win from an English point of view but would have loved an England Australia final having been here 10 years now.

Agree with most on the Aussie team, a lot of reliance on Warner, Finch, Smith and Starc, which (bar Finch) will be the same in the Ashes. I'd play Carey as a dedicated batsman in the Ashes if I was a selector, he's proven he's up to the task and would be an asset in the middle order. I'd play him at 6 with Paine at 7.

On the final, if England can deal with Boult (don't really care if he goes for between 3-4 an over, as long as we don't lose wickets to him) then we'll win, though he'll enjoy bowling at Lords. Not a great ground for us to play on, we rarely seem to play well there which worries me a bit.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Paine is the skipper there isnt really another option as Smith not allowed to do it.

HOW COME WADE DIDNT PLAY FFS

Cause Langer and the selectors don't like him. Langer really should come under scrutiny but won't, I get that we finished higher than many thought we would but that was due to a few players rather than the team and we absolutely threw it away at the end.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If England win the World Cup it will because they have an Australian as their coach. They would be nothing without Trevor Bayliss:p;)

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Correct MJ.

Crazy Wade didn't play.
Cause Langer and the selectors don't like him. Langer really should come under scrutiny but won't, I get that we finished higher than many thought we would but that was due to a few players rather than the team and we absolutely threw it away at the end.

Yep - from all reports they made the decision to play him ahead of the No Show but then back flipped.

Crazy after his body of work all World Cup especially complete inability against the short ball.

Stoinis the other love child who they tried to bring into the team after injury time and again off zero performance.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I find it odd that the final of a tournament that is run every four years has their final on at the same time that the Wilmbledon men's final is on.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I find it odd that the final of a tournament that is run every four years has their final on at the same time that the Wilmbledon men's final is on.
It's hard to work out, they've got the British Grand Prix on at Silverstone too.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Really pleased with the win from an English point of view but would have loved an England Australia final having been here 10 years now.

Agree with most on the Aussie team, a lot of reliance on Warner, Finch, Smith and Starc, which (bar Finch) will be the same in the Ashes. I'd play Carey as a dedicated batsman in the Ashes if I was a selector, he's proven he's up to the task and would be an asset in the middle order. I'd play him at 6 with Paine at 7.

On the final, if England can deal with Boult (don't really care if he goes for between 3-4 an over, as long as we don't lose wickets to him) then we'll win, though he'll enjoy bowling at Lords. Not a great ground for us to play on, we rarely seem to play well there which worries me a bit.

Mission bowling complete

As I said above, control Boult and not lose wickets to him and I think England will win, first 5-6 overs will be key here.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Mission bowling complete

As I said above, control Boult and not lose wickets to him and I think England will win, first 5-6 overs will be key here.
Mission bowling complete

A key partnership now between Bairstow and Root after Roy got out. Root is an LBW chance early in his innings, you don't want Morgan in too early.
If these two can still be there after 15 overs, i reckon you've got it in the bag.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Spewing , well done England and all that ,

But to lose after you draw , is a bitter pill to swallow ,

proud of our team though , they gave it their all

Reactions: 4 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Trying to think of a more dramatic sporting event and I can't.
That four overthrows off the bat - never seen anything so unfortunate at a moment of such significance.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Trying to think of a more dramatic sporting event and I can't.
That four overthrows off the bat - never seen anything so unfortunate at a moment of such significance.
Ahh, I was just reading the ball by ball and read about the overthrow, now it makes sense

marella jube

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2004
I don't see the need for the 'super' over, other than theatres...After 50 overs, if both teams are tied on runs, then surely it should be the team that took the most wickets wins ?

Reactions: 1 users