Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Really surprised we won esp with the form coming in to the T20 world cup . .. Pretty happy we won :) .
One of the PRE regulars back in the day ( now passed sadly ) would be pretty happy up in heaven as he used to coach Finchy as a Junior . He didn't have the best tournament as a batsman but captained the team well.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
And now the push is on for a bloke who averages 25 in 32 Tests to be installed as our new No.5. Dropkick Whately saying he should play ahead of Green. FMD.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
And now the push is on for a bloke who averages 25 in 32 Tests to be installed as our new No.5. Dropkick Whately saying he should play ahead of Green. FMD.
He’s okay in T20’s, that suits him, but I wouldn’t let him anywhere near the Test team.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah no way he plays ahead of Green ATM.

But - For the first time ever, wouldn't write him off in future. The confidence and sense of belonging it will give him will be massive.

Could well come back a different player.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Staggering. Surely he wasn’t pumping him up at 5??

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Staggering. Surely he wasn’t pumping him up at 5??
Sport's all about momentum, don't you know. We know this is true because authorities like Whately tell us it is true despite never having played competitive sport in their adult lives.

Momentum, Jazzy. It's more important than being able to get your front pad out of the way of Jimmy Anderson's in-ducker.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Sport's all about momentum, don't you know. We know this is true because authorities like Whately tell us it is true despite never having played competitive sport in their adult lives.

Momentum, Jazzy. It's more important than being able to get your front pad out of the way of Jimmy Anderson's in-ducker.
Funny how you don’t get many bowlers throwing down off cutters in 20/20. How many balls would he face in 20/20 with the bowler actually trying to get him out? Test bowlers spend overs on a plan to remove batsman. It’s the wonder of test cricket, that personal battle between bowler and batsman.

It’s why guys like Pollard and Braithwaite don’t bother trying to make a test cricket career. Cause it’s tough. Difficult. And not lucrative. Can’t blame them. But WI cricketers I’ll always remember fondly are the likes of Lloyd, Richards, Gomes, Greenidge, Richardson etc etc.

Reactions: 2 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
First test squad : Tim Paine, Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Australia A Squad : Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
First test squad : Tim Paine, Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Australia A Squad : Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Nic Maddinson, Mitchell Marsh, Matt Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street

Zampa misses out.............. He didn't even make the Australia A squad which will take part in a probably v possibles game next month. Is very unlucky for mine.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He's not really a 'red ball' cricketer.
Yes, has improved a hell of a lot though. Hardly bowled a bad ball in the T20 World Cup.
Swepson has been doing ok and has made the 15 so that's good, got a hunch that a leggie might come in handy this summer, the Poms have always struggled against them.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

Will be interesting to see what impact this has on the English team.

My initial thoughts were was it really that bad? But of course it was. And is for those players subjected to the "abuse". But its not really the other players fault, they are probably only repeating things they have heard from a junior level at various cricket clubs across all ages. Elephant washer is an expression I have heard to describe Indian or Pakistani players plenty of times, and not just in cricket clubs. I've laughed at that expression, not thinking there is really anything wrong with it. But in reality I would have known it was wrong but would have laughed to fit in. I wouldn't have had the courage to call it out lest I be on the outer. People try and justify it by saying it's just a joke. But its demeaning, It's not used as a compliment, it's used derogatively. Like naming your dog the name used for black players. Why? Its the sort of behaviour borne of immaturity. And fear of difference. If I was to place myself in the offended players shoes it would be devastating. It only changes by people like Rafiq keep calling it out, and then people acknowledging the impact and calling out future poor behaviour.

Reactions: 1 user

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I think it’s a difficult one. There are clear examples of racist name calling, but when it comes to talking about cricket in terms of ‘The Windies’, ‘The Pakis’, ‘The Poms’, ‘The Saffas’… are we really being racist?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I think it’s a difficult one. There are clear examples of racist name calling, but when it comes to talking about cricket in terms of ‘The Windies’, ‘The Pakis’, ‘The Poms’, ‘The Saffas’… are we really being racist?
That's not what its about at all midsy. I think there's been a fair bit of discussion around some of those terms you use above on the racism threads and why some are considered racist.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
That's not what its about at all midsy. I think there's been a fair bit of discussion around some of those terms you use above on the racism threads and why some are considered racist.
Interesting you say ‘some’. Why some, and not others? Does it depend on who’s being offended?

I’m being a bit facetious, but lines are blurry in these areas. Context is everything.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Interesting you say ‘some’. Why some, and not others? Does it depend on who’s being offended?

I’m being a bit facetious, but lines are blurry in these areas. Context is everything.
I use some because I've never heard anyone complain about racism whilst being called a Pom. How do you think those terms have been traditionally used? Paki has been used as a racist slur in Britain for a long time.

I wonder if the people that use the term Paki would use it in a muslim country when a little outnumbered?

There is another thread where posters weren't aware that ape or gorilla was an offensive term, and couldn't really understand why someone like Adam Goodes would be offended by it. This is similar. Probably best for the racism thread not the cricket thread.