Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This is the stuff I'm talking about.

He's frequently criticisied the AFL. He used to make a weekly mockery of the MRC, Tribunal and the third umpire. I say used to because I cancelled my foxtel subscription 18 months ago and don't buy Kayo. I see he still routinely criticises things like "the bump" and decisions relating to it as being inconsistent with the communications put out by the league at the start of the year, or inconsistent with previous tribunal hearings.

He's a well researched and respected journo. He's not a Mark Robinson, or Caro Wilson. He doesn't try break stories, he analyses what those who are in the stories are doing and explains what their possible options are. So he won't say he believes in what XXXXX is doing, he'll say this has to be what they're doing based on the evidence. Sort of, They have 3 options available to them, and if they are going to argue XYZ, then the only course of action they can choose is this. Otherwise it's a backflip or a change of course".

If you're going to have a hosue propaganda man, there's no point having someone who's going to mock your organisation.

:clap2

Just saw this after posting in the Barrett thread. Same story, ignore anything they say that doesn't fit the agenda and pick up on everything else as an example of bias/puppetry/Richmond hate etc..... Bit like umpiring.

I get it's passion but a bit of balance would be nice.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
:clap2

Just saw this after posting in the Barrett thread. Same story, ignore anything they say that doesn't fit the agenda and pick up on everything else as an example of bias/puppetry/Richmond hate etc..... Bit like umpiring.

I get it's passion but a bit of balance would be nice.
The irony if you read The General's post is that he cancelled his Foxtel subscription 18 months ago. So where is he watching and listening to GW to have such an informed opinion on his comments/commentary?

If he watched and listened he would see and hear your typical AFL sycophant journo. Yep, GW has questioned the ARC decision. But what has he done about it? Has he demanded Brad Scott come on his show to explain the decision process and decision itself? Because that to me would be the simplest and most transparent way to achieve transparency. And surely given its the leading nightly football show there is plenty of opportunity to get an AFL representative on. No, he's called the ARC into question but that's it. No follow through. If he was independent he wouldn't just let it go. Ultimately he's an AFL puppet.

Reactions: 6 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The irony if you read The General's post is that he cancelled his Foxtel subscription 18 months ago. So where is he watching and listening to GW to have such an informed opinion on his comments/commentary?

If he watched and listened he would see and hear your typical AFL sycophant journo. Yep, GW has questioned the ARC decision. But what has he done about it? Has he demanded Brad Scott come on his show to explain the decision process and decision itself? Because that to me would be the simplest and most transparent way to achieve transparency. And surely given its the leading nightly football show there is plenty of opportunity to get an AFL representative on. No, he's called the ARC into question but that's it. No follow through. If he was independent he wouldn't just let it go. Ultimately he's an AFL puppet.
So you know Whateley has a radio programme right?

You know people post stuff to youtube etc right?

OK. Just checking

Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I have also posted the below in the Kane Cornes thread - but want to post here also for the record.

I dont listen to Cornes. Honestly stopped a couple of yrs ago, incl FC (will watch a couple of the 2-3 min videos on twitter if the topic is interesting). No SEN or Fox.

But yesterday, my mate called me in the morning and told me he was listening to SEN and Cornes was so scathing of Dimma's motives, that it was not just derogatory - but almost defamation.
For context, my mate is a lawyer, which is why I listened to the podcast last night.
When a lawyer uses the word defamation, you stand up and take notice.

Anyway... I heard it. Wouldn't have a clue if a lawyer could make anything of the words said, or if Dimma/RFC would act, but he pretty much accused Dimma of acting only for himself in the short term by recruiting JH and TT.
Cornes used really harsh, despicable language. Stuff like Dimma wouldn't care about the damage his actions caused down the track to the Club by getting these 2 players in, that he was in it for a couple more years for himself and wouldn't care about the consequences to the Club or that he will leave the club in a mess. Kingy even tried to cool him down by saying its not just Dimma's decision. Cornes then said, 'well, he'd have a big say'.

TBH, even by what I think is Cornes' shocking standards, it was despicable language used about someone who has given 13 years service to 1 Club let alone his time as a player. It was vile TBH.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

General is spot on. Whateley is an intelligent, considered and high quality journalist. He explores things with balance and any suggestion he is in someone's pocket is simply stupid. How do you know he doesn't invite Scott on? I don't recall Scott giving many interviews to anyone, nor Hocking before him when I think about it.

There's a mob mentality when it comes to journalists on PRE. Say what we want to hear or you are an AFL sycophant or a Richmond-hater. There's a supreme confidence in it that you sort of have to admire. It's Dunning-Kruger at its finest. My favourite is when Richo doesn't toe the party line. 'He's just trying so hard not to look biased when he says that'. :ROFLMAO:

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
You are back TBR. Thought you had gone for good.

And we still don't agree.

Whately started off that way years ago. No longer.
He's become a self serving, bootlicking AFL journo like the rest of them. He is no longer considered nor high quality.
He has become as self serving and protective of his position and status as the rest of them.

And just because we don't agree with you, doesn't make us mob mentality. Honestly, your smugness and superiority is a joke.
Some of us actually understand how politics in business works.

General is spot on. Whateley is an intelligent, considered and high quality journalist. He explores things with balance and any suggestion he is in someone's pocket is simply stupid. How do you know he doesn't invite Scott on? I don't recall Scott giving many interviews to anyone, nor Hocking before him when I think about it.

There's a mob mentality when it comes to journalists on PRE. Say what we want to hear or you are an AFL sycophant or a Richmond-hater. There's a supreme confidence in it that you sort of have to admire. It's Dunning-Kruger at its finest. My favourite is when Richo doesn't toe the party line. 'He's just trying so hard not to look biased when he says that'. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I have also posted the below in the Kane Cornes thread - but want to post here also for the record.

I dont listen to Cornes. Honestly stopped a couple of yrs ago, incl FC (will watch a couple of the 2-3 min videos on twitter if the topic is interesting). No SEN or Fox.

But yesterday, my mate called me in the morning and told me he was listening to SEN and Cornes was so scathing of Dimma's motives, that it was not just derogatory - but almost defamation.
For context, my mate is a lawyer, which is why I listened to the podcast last night.
When a lawyer uses the word defamation, you stand up and take notice.

Anyway... I heard it. Wouldn't have a clue if a lawyer could make anything of the words said, or if Dimma/RFC would act, but he pretty much accused Dimma of acting only for himself in the short term by recruiting JH and TT.
Cornes used really harsh, despicable language. Stuff like Dimma wouldn't care about the damage his actions caused down the track to the Club by getting these 2 players in, that he was in it for a couple more years for himself and wouldn't care about the consequences to the Club or that he will leave the club in a mess. Kingy even tried to cool him down by saying its not just Dimma's decision. Cornes then said, 'well, he'd have a big say'.

TBH, even by what I think is Cornes' shocking standards, it was despicable language used about someone who has given 13 years service to 1 Club let alone his time as a player. It was vile TBH.
Although I've blocked the peanut's thread on here but tuned in this morning to listen to the disection of the Melbourne dynastic pursuit on SEN
Unfortunately, said peabrain was on and went again at Dimma. .... at least Luke Hodge and Whately weren't in total lockstep. ... stuff to do with list management etc which I think numbnuts has zero understanding of!

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Although I've blocked the peanut's thread on here but tuned in this morning to listen to the disection of the Melbourne dynastic pursuit on SEN
Unfortunately, said peabrain was on and went again at Dimma. .... at least Luke Hodge and Whately weren't in total lockstep. ... stuff to do with list management etc which I think numbnuts has zero understanding of!
Thanks TbV.
Its not that he wants to criticise or comment that bothers me. I was shocked at his language and tone - it is borderline defamation to damage the reputation of someone who has worked in an industry for what, almost 3 decades?

My mate the lawyer was right, he was so amazed, he called me about it!

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
You are back TBR. Thought you had gone for good.

And we still don't agree.

Whately started off that way years ago. No longer.
He's become a self serving, bootlicking AFL journo like the rest of them. He is no longer considered nor high quality.
He has become as self serving and protective of his position and status as the rest of them.

And just because we don't agree with you, doesn't make us mob mentality. Honestly, your smugness and superiority is a joke.
Some of us actually understand how politics in business works.
Look at your last sentence Bob, and you have the gaul to say TBR is smug and superior? Seriously mate, that's as hypocritcal as it could get.
Whateley hasn't changed. It's just we have become successful, and instead of being mocked and laughed at we're being critiqued.

No one in the footy world was expected to bow down and worship us. When you win as much as we do, people will line up to take pot shots.
Cornes is one - he's had an ongoing hatred of dimma for a while. But Whateley hasn't been like that, if you take the emotion out of it, you'll
see he's not doing anything different than he was before. It's just we've become the topic, not just the Hawks, or Geelong, etc.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Look at your last sentence Bob, and you have the gaul to say TBR is smug and superior? Seriously mate, that's as hypocritcal as it could get.
Whateley hasn't changed. It's just we have become successful, and instead of being mocked and laughed at we're being critiqued.

No one in the footy world was expected to bow down and worship us. When you win as much as we do, people will line up to take pot shots.
Cornes is one - he's had an ongoing hatred of dimma for a while. But Whateley hasn't been like that, if you take the emotion out of it, you'll
see he's not doing anything different than he was before. It's just we've become the topic, not just the Hawks, or Geelong, etc.
I was expecting your post general so no surprise

It’s not a critique what whately or others say bc it’s neither researched nor objective

Have no interest in them celebrating us or worshipping us, that’s as one sided and worthless as their lack of research and objectivity. They, incl whately, are simply an embarrassment to the profession of journalism.

Go hard all you like on my last line on tbr
He is exactly that and with pretty much every single post. Whereas me, I’ll save it up for his posts only that is pretty much my utter disregard for his sense of superiority with each post

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
oh… and whately has changed, we will differ 100% on that. Years ago when he was on the abc , that’s when his objective views and research set him apart

He is now as beholden to SEN and fox (and thus the afl) as everyone else - those who don’t see that… well let’s just say that’s up to them to remain as ignorant as those who think trump won the election

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Go hard all you like on my last line on tbr
He is exactly that and with pretty much every single post. Whereas me, I’ll save it up for his posts only that is pretty much my utter disregard for his sense of superiority with each post

That's phase two of the mob mentality. Play the man and not the ball. No rebuttal, just dismissal. Often manifests as the always hilarious implication the poster is the subject. 'Is that you Gil?'.

Again coming from the place that my opinion is so obvious you must be a fool not to see it. Which is also why the media must obviously be biased not to report it. Hmmmm.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
So you know Whateley has a radio programme right?

You know people post stuff to youtube etc right?

OK. Just checking
You listen to that one do you? I do, and he's the same on the radio. A major endorser of almost everything AFL. He gets 2 cracks at pushing the AFL agenda.

BTW it's OK to like GW. I like him as a pure commentator and he has a pretty good knowledge and appreciation of a lot of sports. I find him self-indulgent and smug i9n general. And far from independent when it comes to most things AFL.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017

The ARC decision in our game may be the most finaically impactful umpire "mistake" in AFL history. I'd say its pretty important that 1. it is investigated to check for potential corruption and 2. to ensure it doesn't cost a side in the biggest game of the year. Scott should have been on his show at first opportunity explaining the decision for transparency. DH publicly announced the club has asked for an explanation. And still nothing.

No one still knows how that decision was reached?

BTW its OK to like GW. Not sure why his fan bois get so sensitive.

I like brussel sprouts, they aren't real popular either.

Reactions: 5 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'm not sure why the people who dislike Whateley act like he slept with their wife. He's got a different opinion to you. Move on and stop listening if you don't like it.
I swear people look for things to be offended by.

On another topic, I'm just going to put this out there:
_________________________________________________________________________________

• Messages shouldn’t threaten or humiliate any other person or contain personal insults. There is a zero tolerance policy for flame wars, baiting, and malicious personal attacks on all forums. Such activity will result in posting rights being suspended/banned -- without warning.

Post here are walking very close to, if not crossing this line. Argue the point, fine. Start targetting people, not fine.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).

Cornes always paints a target for himself
As a junior at port he showed a middle finger to an opposing player - right in his face
Mr serious flog Nick stevens was over joyed

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
The ARC decision in our game may be the most finaically impactful umpire "mistake" in AFL history. I'd say its pretty important that 1. it is investigated to check for potential corruption and 2. to ensure it doesn't cost a side in the biggest game of the year. Scott should have been on his show at first opportunity explaining the decision for transparency. DH publicly announced the club has asked for an explanation. And still nothing.

No one still knows how that decision was reached?

BTW its OK to like GW. Not sure why his fan bois get so sensitive.

I like brussel sprouts, they aren't real popular either.

I don't like Whateley. I think he tries too hard to impress with his vocabulary and it causes him to use 10 words when 3 would do and I find that annoying. That doesn't mean I don't see he is a capable journalist though, just as I don't like Dangerfield personally but I see that he is a fine footballer.

I'm not sure what you want him to do with Brad Scott though. There's no way he would come on their show because he hasn't got a defendable position. Short of dragging him in at gun point I don't know what you want Whateley to do. They spoke at length about the decision on the show and criticised it strongly. Whateley has always gone hard at the ARC as he does at various other AFL matters.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not sure why the people who dislike Whateley act like he slept with their wife. He's got a different opinion to you. Move on and stop listening if you don't like it.
I swear people look for things to be offended by.

On another topic, I'm just going to put this out there:
_________________________________________________________________________________

• Messages shouldn’t threaten or humiliate any other person or contain personal insults. There is a zero tolerance policy for flame wars, baiting, and malicious personal attacks on all forums. Such activity will result in posting rights being suspended/banned -- without warning.

Post here are walking very close to, if not crossing this line. Argue the point, fine. Start targetting people, not fine.
Isn't this a forum where we can express differences of opinion in a respectful manner?

Had to laugh when GW and King were discussing the record of the Top 8 teams against other Top 8 teams prior to the QFs/EFs. They got to Richmond and King gave our record, I think it was 2-4-1 but he said it could have been better except for a couple of brain fades against Freo, the Swans game and Prestia being knocked out against the Cants. GW then chipped in saying we had "the softest of draws". Was thinking to myself, well we did finished 12th last year.

Got to Geelong who out of the Top 8 only played 8th place Dogs twice (would have been zero Top 8 teams played twice had Elliott missed that goal against the Blues). They also played the 17th and 18th teams twice. Not bad for a team who played off in the PF last year. Not a mention of their draw, only what a great season they had.

Not a hanging offence, but fairly indicative of how GW rolls.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Cornes has got an unhealthy obsession with Dimma, he's fair dinkum delusional.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users