Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This.

We have changed our style and are moving the ball much slower. Way too slow. We don't have the players for the precise chip mark possession game plan. Our one wood is the quick ball movement with players running in waves from behind linking by hand. We've gone away from this big time and on a big ground like the G we have been exposed. No coincidence our big defeats this year have come on the G. We were invincible here coz we would swarm the opposition and then spread quickly in the open. We have been spooked by the new rule and have gone away from what made us great. Unless we reset and find the richmond way of playing again then we are gone and it'll be a big fall.

But last night you could see players get the ball, say take a mark, look up the ground - nowhere to go; look around - no-one running past.

We're just not running in waves, barely running at all last night. Maybe we are too aware of having to defend the rebound, but they aren't taking on the game in the same way and they were not playing like a team last night.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
But last night you could see players get the ball, say take a mark, look up the ground - nowhere to go; look around - no-one running past.

We're just not running in waves, barely running at all last night. Maybe we are too aware of having to defend the rebound, but they aren't taking on the game in the same way and they were not playing like a team last night.

DS
I really wonder about our fitness , short pre season plus injuries etc..

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

DS
Correct.

Running in waves from behind and linking up by hand. Forward handball and swarm the contest. Play on quickly, kick long to a contest and outnumber at the fall of the ball. This is Richmond 101. Not seeing it much this year.

Reactions: 3 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Maybe he feels like we no longer have the petrol tickets to play that game style?

Nonetheless that style does not suit us and it’s very 2016. Hardwick needs to be very careful how he manages the next 8 weeks.
Interesting point.
You could also add the fact we have played more games in the past 4 and half years then any other club.
Constantly playing finals and grand finals would physically and mentally take its toll.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I can’t believe what I’m reading on this thread.

Hardwick is now an incredibly experienced and smart coach. He will tweak again to get us enough wins to make the eight.

Last night was technically the first “bad” loss since 2016.

The reason isn’t hunger, nor is it personnel. It’s tactics. We are taking that ‘step back’ that Dimma has hinted at repeatedly of late.

The West Coast game was us playing full on, highly-tuned footy. Just fell away in Q4 and made some dumb mistakes. *smile* happens.

We tried something different last night and it backfired more than we would’ve expected. St Kilda at the G is the perfect time to test and I don’t blame Dimma one bit.

Jesus Christ, people are talking like we are a rabble. Our best is still good enough. Like any excellent coach, Dimma is trying new things because the best laboratory is in season, not in January.

I expect a return to form over the next couple of weeks. 5-8, our finishing position doesn’t really matter when you have the aura that we have. We tested something new last night because why not? It’s still June for crissakes.

Hold firm, folks. Not even the loss of Balta is diabolically bad. He’s a promising young player but we have Astbury/Garth/Miller in reserve and flexible options to mix it up a bit.

Harry has been posting well in this thread. Our DNA is chaos.

Joy with ball in hand. Get back to messy, bullying football and we are in it up to our necks.

You can bet September will be back alley muggings like it has always been. We just gotta get there.

Reactions: 7 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Hardwick is now an incredibly experienced and smart coach. He will tweak again to get us enough wins to make the eight.

The reason isn’t hunger, nor is it personnel. It’s tactics. We are taking that ‘step back’ that Dimma has hinted at repeatedly of late.

The West Coast game was us playing full on, highly-tuned footy. Just fell away in Q4 and made some dumb mistakes. *smile* happens.

We tried something different last night and it backfired more than we would’ve expected. St Kilda at the G is the perfect time to test and I don’t blame Dimma one bit.

Jesus Christ, people are talking like we are a rabble. Our best is still good enough. Like any excellent coach, Dimma is trying new things because the best laboratory is in season, not in January.

I expect a return to form over the next couple of weeks. 5-8, our finishing position doesn’t really matter when you have the aura that we have. We tested something new last night because why not? It’s still June for crissakes.

Hold firm, folks. Not even the loss of Balta is diabolically bad. He’s a promising young player but we have Astbury/Garth/Miller in reserve and flexible options to mix it up a bit.

Joy with ball in hand. Get back to messy, bullying football and we are in it up to our necks.

You can bet September will be back alley muggings like it has always been. We just gotta get there.
You are assuming we get back to our messy best game style. From a far it doesn’t look like we will play that style anytime soon and that’s what worries me.

Reactions: 5 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You are assuming we get back to our messy best game style. From a far it doesn’t look like we will play that style anytime soon and that’s what worries me.

We’d be mad not to do it in September Aces. It’s our advantage over the comp - our chaos wins finals, new rules or old rules.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Extract:
Hardwick said his side, in hindsight, “didn‘t train probably as well as we would’ve liked” in the past week, but added it was no excuse for the loss.

Why?

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
The loss of Blake Caracella has been a massive loss to the tigers. Lets not forget it was Caracella who came into the club at the beginning of the 2017 season as head of Ball Movement, game plan by another name. Our success since that point has been largely down to the game plan he devised.

Yes I know we won last years Premiership without him but the game plan was predominantly the same. It was tinkered with but not to a great extent.

18 months on Essendon is being hailed as the team playing the most exciting brand of footy whilst we are slowly slipping back into a control the footy style.

With the rules being changed specifically to stop our style of footy we desperately need an assistant coach who can devise a style of footy that is not only innovative but ahead of the game.

Dimmas people management skills can't be questioned but I think he does need help when it comes to the style of footy we play.

Reactions: 5 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Extract:
Hardwick said his side, in hindsight, “didn‘t train probably as well as we would’ve liked” in the past week, but added it was no excuse for the loss.

Why?

Two things to note here:

1) we were clearly trying something new (possession), and perhaps thought it would just click? I’m guessing we looked TOO good at training because not enough pressure was applied.

2) we are notorious for riding momentum from game to game. Dimma has repeatedly said we are awful after long breaks.

No excuses for not training well though.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I can't understand why we can't afford to keep his assistant coaches around him or replace them poor decision that was I know covid was reason and the fine to , but record members and top 4 for revenue puzzling that decision.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

I agree to a extent, but why we keep chopping and changing styles it was clear the maniac pressure at the start of the year wasn't working you need to involve I just think we haven't and also adapted to the rules.Not to bad to make tweaks in the season, but very hard completely change styles.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
the new game plan, whatever it is, isn't working. And yes, we've got a few key players out.

Question is, persevere or pivot back to what we are good at? I still feel we can do some damage in finals even from the lower half of the 8.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
the new game plan, whatever it is, isn't working. And yes, we've got a few key players out.

Question is, persevere or pivot back to what we are good at? I still feel we can do some damage in finals even from the lower half of the 8.
Pivot back 100%.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The loss of Blake Caracella has been a massive loss to the tigers. Lets not forget it was Caracella who came into the club at the beginning of the 2017 season as head of Ball Movement, game plan by another name. Our success since that point has been largely down to the game plan he devised.

Yes I know we won last years Premiership without him but the game plan was predominantly the same. It was tinkered with but not to a great extent.

18 months on Essendon is being hailed as the team playing the most exciting brand of footy whilst we are slowly slipping back into a control the footy style.

With the rules being changed specifically to stop our style of footy we desperately need an assistant coach who can devise a style of footy that is not only innovative but ahead of the game.

Dimmas people management skills can't be questioned but I think he does need help when it comes to the style of footy we play.
Good post. Not taking anything away from Dimma as I believe he's the best man manager and motivator of all the coaches but I'm seeing some real worrying signs with our ball movement.

Reactions: 4 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
First suggestion would be to attack. Be direct & play contested ball. Try to score. Don’t achieve that by going sideways & backwards. This is 2016 revisited.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
There didn't seem to be much joy in the playing group last night, having fun playing footy was one of our advantages and I'm not sure it will be easy to get back.

It is all well and good to say bring back the chaos, and we certainly need to take the game on more, but locking the ball in the forward 50 just seems so much harder this year. If we can work out a way to adjust without losing the chaos we will be competitive but it looks to be very difficult.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
There didn't seem to be much joy in the playing group last night, having fun playing footy was one of our advantages and I'm not sure it will be easy to get back.

It is all well and good to say bring back the chaos, and we certainly need to take the game on more, but locking the ball in the forward 50 just seems so much harder this year. If we can work out a way to adjust without losing the chaos we will be competitive but it looks to be very difficult.

DS
All the more reason to focus on winning clearance & contested ball, especially out of the middle to give forwards a better chance.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Extract:

Why?
That’s an indictment on the team. Junior footy stuff.