Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Just got home from work. Had most of the day to process the news. Was really flat at work today, tried to hide it but was noticed by a few. Haven’t felt this way for a while. I knew this day would come sooner or later but was hoping for later.
Firstly. Thank you Dimma. Thank you for what you have done for our club over the past 14 years. You came to the club when we were a laughing stock and what many considered a basket case. You helped drive the change of culture and turned us into a powerhouse club. You made us feared and respected again. I remember when you took over and in your first season. The media said we were worse than Fitzroy were in their dying days, and some betting agencies were paying out on us winning the spoon by round 10. You got us into finals for the first time in 12 years, the first time we played in 3 consecutive finals series in 40 years, and of course, our first flag in nearly 4 decades. That day in 2017 was one of the most memorable and happiest days in my life, as I’m sure it was for hundreds of thousands of fellow supporters. If that was the only flag I would get to see I would have died a happy man. But it wasn’t and got to see 2 more ( 1 in person, 1 on the couch). You led us to our most successful era in nearly 50 years. I thank you for letting me experience that.
I‘m glad you get to go out on your terms. While I would have loved you to coach one more game , just so we can farewell and thank you, you owe us nothing and we owe you everything for the joy and happiness over the past 6 years in particular. I know you were only a part of a much larger team in bringing that success to fruition, you were a huge part of it.
Success seems to happen wherever you turn up. First at Essendon for a flag, then to Port for another as a player. Some might say you were in the right place at the right time for those ( you hold the record for most consecutive Minor premierships, Essendon 1999-2001, Port 2002-2004). But then you went to Hawthorn as an assistant coach and another flag followed in 2008. Nobody could honestly say you got lucky when you came to us. You turned the culture around and it led to the Holy Grail 3 more times, plus another minor premiership in 2018. 8 finals series in 13 completed seasons is outstanding. Our longest serving coach. Coaching some of the greatest players in our clubs history. Again, thank you for everything you’ve done since you arrived at our club.
I know you will probably end up coaching elsewhere sometime in the future and I hope you continue your success ( except when against us). I have only one request. Please don’t go to Carlton or Geelong. Any goodwill will be instantly evaporated if you do :)
All the best Dimma
:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold
Well said my friend

Reactions: 1 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Yep. Salty’s contribution was asking “ is that a Tigers top he has on?…good to see he hasn’t burnt it”.
Wow.

All class. What a loser

Salty is a wanker, no doubt, but there is a bit of selective quoting going on by Draga there. What was actually said was "at least he hasn't burnt it, that's the way you want to end, still loving your club, being on good terms albeit it mid season".

Reactions: 5 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
The fact is Dimma this season was out of sorts bigtime preseason was a mess rocking up late that mystified me .The proof is in the pudding baffling decision by him and the club added to that fitness and conditioning.

Game day tactical wise wasn't great with moves , players out of position, team selection etc and his frustration.

Burnout I don't buy it. I reckon he jumped a sinking ship before it sunk further.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The fact is Dimma this season was out of sorts bigtime preseason was a mess rocking up late that mystified me .The proof is in the pudding baffling decision by him and the club added to that fitness and conditioning.

Game day tactical wise wasn't great with moves , players out of position, team selection etc and his frustration.

Burnout I don't buy it. I reckon he jumped a sinking ship before it sunk further.
"fact" "proof" - I'd love to see the evidence for the fact and proof you mention. It looks more like opinion.

He completely out coached Scott against Geelong, Scott who is regarding by many as a great match day tactician. Us mug punters thinking Beavis played players out of position, had the wrong team selection, him showing frustration in pressers is something that's happened every year for the last 14 years.

Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
RunnThe fact is Dimma this season was out of sorts bigtime preseason was a mess rocking up late that mystified me .The proof is in the pudding baffling decision by him and the club added to that fitness and conditioning.

This is Hardwick leaving Punt Rd. He cant get out quick enough. Clarke and the other bozos have left him with nothing and he just has bolted.
Go Go Go Running GIF

Last edited:
  • Haha

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
"fact" "proof" - I'd love to see the evidence for the fact and proof you mention. It looks more like opinion.

He completely out coached Scott against Geelong, Scott who is regarding by many as a great match day tactician. Us mug punters thinking Beavis played players out of position, had the wrong team selection, him showing frustration in pressers is something that's happened every year for the last 14 years.
Each to there own. He had Rutten and Teague taking preseason both failed coaches and a incompetent fitness conditioning team , and you think questions should be asked about our preseason being woeful and a season with 3 wins. Offcourse questions should be asked he missed a big chunk of preseason.The buck stoped with him. Problem is no one wants to poke the bear. Win or loose questions need to be asked.

There's no facts and proof 3 wins isn't enough ? and our woeful skills and kicking, the forward line mess , fitness and conditioning , the same players picked weekly hoping for a different outcome.

Mate how good is Geelong going this season bang average very low bar to go by.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Dimma could write his own ticket to coach the Paper Baggers.
Reckon there’s more chance of him coaching Carlton than an interstate team. His kids are what early to mid teens? Not sure he’s going to up and move away from them.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Reckon there’s more chance of him coaching Carlton than an interstate team. His kids are what early to mid teens? Not sure he’s going to up and move away from them.
I think the kids are all early 20’s now. His youngest finished high school in 2020 I think.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

You don’t think the reason he took the extended leave during the off season was to try and remedy the burnout? And re the fitness and conditioning staff not sure that’s a coaches role to select them.