Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
On the posting that Dimma toom time off preseason to holiday in the US instead of coaching the preseason.... didnt he do that before?
Like in 2016?
And maybe 2019 or 20 or a few times.

He kept going on 'research' trips but we know it was just junkets and follies to hang out at elite sports clubs in the usa.
And we know how that all ended up

Reactions: 2 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
On the posting that Dimma toom time off preseason to holiday in the US instead of coaching the preseason.... didnt he do that before?
Like in 2016?
And maybe 2019 or 20 or a few times.

He kept going on 'research' trips but we know it was just junkets and follies to hang out at elite sports clubs in the usa.
And we know how that all ended up
I'm not "in the know" as it were, TD. Is there a deeper context here I'm missing?

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I'm not "in the know" as it were, TD. Is there a deeper context here I'm missing?
I dont recall exactly so details may be wrong, but he definitely has gone to the US over the pre-season.
The first when he went to Harvard to do the leadership course.
He returned at least once to visit US sports teams.

My take is that its a highly beneficial trip as he is learning from teams with magnitudes more cash and so more analysis / control of the sports teams.
I've no idea what he learns but I can imagine he is talking to the coaches and support staff, to the high performance managers and to the top managers.
How to structure up sports departments, how to analyse and share game analysis, how much to communicate to players and delegation to the leadership group, how to balance meetings with fun activities etc. And how to mentally prepare.
Most AFL footy clubs now are high functioning elite sports clubs. It might be a different sport but the US clubs have the same objective - to get highly skilled / fit humans to perform at their peak on any give sunday.

So we can look at it that Dimma wasnt at the helm and blowing the whistle in January. But he has done it before with great results.
Its the new life of elite sports.

Reactions: 5 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Dimma's exit has profoundly affected all the RFC faithful.

It really has taken me this long to be able to even think of writing some simple words in response

Dimma will be remembered as arguably the greatest coach in the history of the RFC. His exit was certainly sudden but I don't really think unforseen by the club. Last dance and all...

His intensity, strength of purpose and all encompassing approach brought the RFC great rewards, but it also took a heavy personal toll on the man.

Clearly, his sojourns overseas facilitated the acquisition of new skills and knowledge that greatly assisted the football program, but they also provided much needed mental escapes from the grind.

I have previously commented on this forum that even great coaches sometimes make mistakes. I still maintain that it was a mistake for him not to be there day 1 of the preseason. Dimma clearly realised that he was a fraction off the coach he wanted to be and as always, selflessly put the club first.

In terms of legacy, it's not just the silverware that is important. The cultural legacy left by Dimma is immense and the fingerprints of this will remain for a very long time.

Marlion's comment was in a way naive but also quite poetic and touchingly beautiful.

Thank you Dimma. You will always be my coach as well.

Reactions: 19 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Hooch is loving life. Was coaching as well as ever but why hang around for the post dynasty bounce. Smart guy

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Superb.

I hope if Marlion Pickett ever does or says anything that isnt magnificent,

I dont see or hear it.
It was a good interview. I particularly liked the bit where he said his son was crying because he thought it was going to be a draw and then crying when Marlion kicked the goal because we were going to win, he’s a massive Richmond head according to his Dad.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Balme said Dimma is genuine. is Flat and will take time awy. Fully expects and wants him to coach again. believes he will get an offer from somewhere that big it would be hard to turn down.
I dont think Dimma has anything planned. According to Balme the longer he is out the more attractive the offers will be. so you may not see him coach until 2025.

I don’t think he planned it but two things developed together and finally impacted.

One was the failure of our forward line in the absence of Lynch. The other was that he also realised that the Hail Mary recruitment from GWS was not going to get us to a top 4 finish.

Terrible result .. unexpected result. He was sick with worry and he left, recognising that he could no longer deliver on his promise to himself to give us a chance to succeed.

All in all I thought his actions further enhanced his reputation rather than not.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
If we were top four he’d still be there

Campaign failed, pure and simple

So he bailed and I don’t blame him

Reactions: 2 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Dimma's exit has profoundly affected all the RFC faithful.

It really has taken me this long to be able to even think of writing some simple words in response

Dimma will be remembered as arguably the greatest coach in the history of the RFC. His exit was certainly sudden but I don't really think unforseen by the club. Last dance and all...

His intensity, strength of purpose and all encompassing approach brought the RFC great rewards, but it also took a heavy personal toll on the man.

Clearly, his sojourns overseas facilitated the acquisition of new skills and knowledge that greatly assisted the football program, but they also provided much needed mental escapes from the grind.

I have previously commented on this forum that even great coaches sometimes make mistakes. I still maintain that it was a mistake for him not to be there day 1 of the preseason. Dimma clearly realised that he was a fraction off the coach he wanted to be and as always, selflessly put the club first.

In terms of legacy, it's not just the silverware that is important. The cultural legacy left by Dimma is immense and the fingerprints of this will remain for a very long time.

Marlion's comment was in a way naive but also quite poetic and touchingly beautiful.

Thank you Dimma. You will always be my coach as well.
Hafey was and still is the Greatest Richmond Coach.
Without Balme overseeing Dimma and curbing his complicated game plan he would not have been a 3 time Premiership coach.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Hafey was and still is the Greatest Richmond Coach.
Without Balme overseeing Dimma and curbing his complicated game plan he would not have been a 3 time Premiership coach.
Maths agrees - but very close

Hardwick - 3 wins with 18 teams in comp in 307 games / 13.5 seasons - expected return 0.75 premierships. 3/0.75 = 4 times outperform
Hafey 4 wins with 12 teams in comp in 248 games / 11 seasons - expected return 0.92 premierships. 4/0.92 = 4.4 times outperform

Reactions: 4 users