Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

FFS, are you for real

I will tell you something, Dimma & Alex were at the VFL on Saturday standing in a group including Jack R, Nank, Dion, Broady, Soldo, Shorty, Livo, Jack G and a few others

Didn't look like the culture was wrecked from where I stood

I will add that in all the times I have seen Dimma @ the VFL, I never saw Danielle with him - make of that what you will
Good to see Alex Rance back at the club.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
I would love to see Leppa back at the club next year, and seeing the succession announcement at Hawthorn, try to lure Chris Newman back. Both would be great for Dimma.

Reactions: 2 users
I would love to see Leppa back at the club next year, and seeing the succession announcement at Hawthorn, try to lure Chris Newman back. Both would be great for Dimma.
Well Leppa doesn't seem to be getting mentioned much in consideration for the Colonwood job, nor Newman either. Good news FMPOV.
Hope Brad Scott gets it - perfect for each other - and get him out of influence at AFL HQ.

Reactions: 3 users
FFS, are you for real

I will tell you something, Dimma & Alex were at the VFL on Saturday standing in a group including Jack R, Nank, Dion, Broady, Soldo, Shorty, Livo, Jack G and a few others

Didn't look like the culture was wrecked from where I stood

I will add that in all the times I have seen Dimma @ the VFL, I never saw Danielle with him - make of that what you will
I saw Danielle with him.

I would love to see Knighta back as an assistant to Dimma and out of the Cats

Reactions: 1 user
Hardwick is a top class coach he brought a club that was the laughing stock of the competition into a power house for nearly half a decade.
Pity the media are blinded by the shine coming off those cups.
Hardwick is a legend of the club

Reactions: 13 users
Dimma's lost his joy. He's miserable deep down, shacked up with a new (will only be temporary) squeeze, knowing he's dudded his wife and kids, plus compromised the playing group who adored his wife. She now can't be at the club (awkward) and connection and trust is lost. All the media in last 4 yrs was about the intangible connection we have as a club, that couldn't be replicated elsewhere. Well no wonder this connection has been lost. Was always gonna happen this year IMO.
The next triple H session should be dimma apologising to the group for wrecking culture
That's an immature view

That's an immature view
for those that disagree, a little more context. i'm not saying Dimma's straying is the ONLY reason we are in a bad patch - eg. Injuries and changes of assistant coaches are obvious and main reasons too, BUT i'm talking about slight culture erosion. Sure, blokes can compartmentalise and still be mates and still show respect to our coach and enjoy his company etc, he doesn't suddenly become someone they hate, BUT let's say if there internal respect for his bleating on about connectedness and family etc. drops 10-20% because there are degrees of hypocrisy in the leader then this will affect the group. Im not sure the whole saga was done with the transparency that has been recently demanded, which also goes against prevailing culture.
I'm not sure my opinion is immature - in fact i've spent 20 years as a person that is responsible or partially responsible for setting culture in organisations so it's not an ill-informed opinion. i accept i may not be right, but suspect this has a lot more to do with our struggles than some of us punters would realise.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Jack was on AFL360 last night & completely refuted Wilson's assumptions. Was definitive in saying it had absoluetly zero impact on the team's performance.

• Love
for those that disagree, a little more context. i'm not saying Dimma's straying is the ONLY reason we are in a bad patch - eg. Injuries and changes of assistant coaches are obvious and main reasons too, BUT i'm talking about slight culture erosion. Sure, blokes can compartmentalise and still be mates and still show respect to our coach and enjoy his company etc, he doesn't suddenly become someone they hate, BUT let's say if there internal respect for his bleating on about connectedness and family etc. drops 10-20% because there are degrees of hypocrisy in the leader then this will affect the group. Im not sure the whole saga was done with the transparency that has been recently demanded, which also goes against prevailing culture.
I'm not sure my opinion is immature - in fact i've spent 20 years as a person that is responsible or partially responsible for setting culture in organisations so it's not an ill-informed opinion. i accept i may not be right, but suspect this has a lot more to do with our struggles than some of us punters would realise.
Were the organisations that you created culture in affected by your personal life?
Would you have stayed in an unhappy relationship in case it destabilised your workplace culture?
If things went wrong at work, did people blame your personal life?
If this is the standard you held at your place of employment, you were on a hiding to nothing.

Our triple H system was based on imperfection, vulnerability and honesty. Accepting everyone for who they are and what they’ve been through. It doesn’t preclude what they’re currently going through. If Hardwick addressed the playing group and didn’t try to hide and deceive the club and players, there is no reason he has broken trust.
Your perception that the saga lacked transparency has probably been partly formed by Caroline Wilson

Last edited:
Jack was on AFL360 last night & completely refuted Wilson's assumptions. Was definitive in saying it had absoluetly zero impact on the team's performance.
He was angry. Real angry. Turned bright red. He wanted to unleash.

Reactions: 3 users
Were the organisation’s that you created culture in affected by your personal life?
Would you have stayed in an unhappy relationship in case it destabilised your workplace culture?
If things went wrong at work, did people blame your personal life?
If this is the standard your held at your place of employment, you were on a hiding to nothing.

Our triple H system was based on imperfection, vulnerability and honesty. Accepting everyone for who they are and what they’ve been through. It doesn’t preclude what they’re currently going through. If Hardwick addressed the playing group and didn’t try to hide and deceive the club and players, there is no reason he has broken trust.
Your perception that the saga lacked transparency has probably been partly formed by Caroline Wilson
Well said.

Am I missing something here? Didn’t Dimma and his wife split last year? And since the split, haven’t we won a flag? If it was such a huge issue for the players, wouldn’t have it affected them last season?

Reactions: 8 users
thinking that Dimma's personal circumstances has any affect on the players diminishes their own hopes, dreams and goals.

it just wouldn't come into it.

And good on ya, Jack. However, btw, did he inform us of what the hell IS affecting the team's performance so far. I think us fans would like an idea of why the wheels appear to have fallen off. We know all about the injuries, but 3 games back we had the Weagles on toast away. Since the bye, when we may have expected the team to come out firing, we have been really disappointing.

I'm actually worried that we may not win another game after the last 2 performances. Seriously, 2.10 against the Aints, beaten by GCS who couldn't beat Norf.

Reactions: 1 user
thinking that Dimma's personal circumstances has any affect on the players diminishes their own hopes, dreams and goals.

it just wouldn't come into it.
Yep, it’s the sort of philosophy that muckrakers like Cornes and Wilson like to buy into.

No doubt in my mind it has zero impact on anything. At most it might impact on Hardwick's own performance but I see that as a minor factor in success as well.

The footy world is so desperate to explain success and failure it clutches at every straw going.

Individual success relies on three things; how fit and healthy you are, how well you play footy and how desperate you are. Team success relies on how many individuals you have that are strong in all those areas.

Forget coaching, anything the media says, who likes who and who doesn't, who tells their life story around the fire on camp, culture, mindfulness, brotherhoods, etc etc.......
Yeah, people sometimes try and retrospectively attribute success to minor issues. Eg just this week I heard Adam Tomlinson linking Melbourne’s 2021 success to all the team dressing accordingly in the sponsors apparel !