Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I’m assuming Dimma intends for Balta to still start back but will be used forward in those instances where Riewoldt or Lynch are either injured or getting towelled up.

Can’t see us going with three talls in the forward line and play Nank and Soldo.
This^

Balta is a defender first and foremost.

Reactions: 3 users

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
I reckon it depends whether we're playing Gibcus. If so, Balta's gotta be up forward IMO.

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020
I reckon it depends whether we're playing Gibcus. If so, Balta's gotta be up forward IMO.

Agree probably when Gibcus gets a game and they’re both fit.

Harris Andrews played 19 games his first year but the Lions were poo then. We’re still contending IMO and have a history of easing our young players in.

Tipping Gibcus gets 6-8 games depending on injuries and form of both him and the team. Hard to see Balta playing forward on a consistent basis unless our forward line is not functioning for whatever reason.

Great problem to have with the loss off Coleman-Jones and Chol.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hope the uncertainty is just for show. If we still don't know what we are doing with Balta at this stage of the preseason then we are in trouble. Ditto if he is going to be sent back again after training all summer with the forwards.

Could be an early season sack the coach call coming.
My reckoning is that Miller will allow us to try Balta as a forward.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Me too, but it seems the coach disagrees.

Noah Balta is another young guy we have got big plans for as well and our first draft pick Josh Gibcus is going very, very well, he‘s 196cm very athletic, incredible competitor and he is going to be a very good player for us long term. That allows us flexibility so with Noah, do we play him up forward? He has been training with the forwards he has been going very, very well. It’s exciting, he is a difference maker, he’s got X-factor, he’s incredibly athletic, can take a good mark and is a thumping kick as well. We’re trying to figure out how it all works, we’re not sure yet but we are working our way through it.
It's a big wrap isn't it. My gut feel is Gibcus won't play round 1.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hope the uncertainty is just for show. If we still don't know what we are doing with Balta at this stage of the preseason then we are in trouble. Ditto if he is going to be sent back again after training all summer with the forwards.

Could be an early season sack the coach call coming.
I don't know about that. The genuine swingman is one of the most valuable commodities in footy especially one with the athletic traits of Noah Balta

He knows how to play back for us, he knows the structures and he knows his team mates and he can slot in anytime. If he is going to be a swingman it makes perfect sense to me to get him to learn our forward structures.

I reckon he could play on a wing as well, the big Richo mk 2 :D

Reactions: 9 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Surely the intention is to play Balta forward if he's been training there.
Not necessarily. Learn the forward systems in case of emergency. We are one Riewoldt or Lynch injury away from needing him. Until then he plays down back. Miller or Gibcus the back up for Balta.

Reactions: 6 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I’m assuming Dimma intends for Balta to still start back but will be used forward in those instances where Riewoldt or Lynch are either injured or getting towelled up.

Can’t see us going with three talls in the forward line and play Nank and Soldo.
It's called options
Hardwick had no excuses.
They didn't play Cj he walked (I don't really care that he left) now he has lynch, that can play more higher up the ground similiar to what he did after half time in the 2020 GF, Jack will be bolted to the goal square with the smurfs at his feet. If this set up doesn't work he can now send Soldo, Nakas and even Balta down there to change things up.
I'm hoping we go with 2 talls/slows with 4 smalls/fast.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Agree probably when Gibcus gets a game and they’re both fit.

Harris Andrews played 19 games his first year but the Lions were poo then. We’re still contending IMO and have a history of easing our young players in.

Tipping Gibcus gets 6-8 games depending on injuries and form of both him and the team. Hard to see Balta playing forward on a consistent basis unless our forward line is not functioning for whatever reason.

Great problem to have with the loss off Coleman-Jones and Chol.
Is Gibcus better in his first season at the club than Miller who has several seasons development? I would suggest Miller is ahead of him right now

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Is Gibcus better in his first season at the club than Miller who has several seasons development? I would suggest Miller is ahead of him right now
I like Miller UK. Good hands.
He played like H Talyor against Hawthorn.
I know it's a worthless bullshitt game. He was reading the balls coming in and I'm pretty sure he marked 3 going in DEF 50. No punching but marks.
If he can stay injury free, we have a CHB

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
I don't know about that. The genuine swingman is one of the most valuable commodities in footy especially one with the athletic traits of Noah Balta

He knows how to play back for us, he knows the structures and he knows his team mates and he can slot in anytime. If he is going to be a swingman it makes perfect sense to me to get him to learn our forward structures.

I reckon he could play on a wing as well, the big Richo mk 2 :D

i think you may be right regarding the wing or centreline ;)

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Liam_Nissan

Tiger Rookie
Aug 1, 2020

Yeah you would expect he would be. Good to have some competition for spots in the key posts down back

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

Pick it up from about the 31 minute mark for Dimma. Worth a listen.
Yeah that was good. We are almost unbeatable when we bring the heat. That went right out the window last year.

Also, straight from the horse's mouth the impact of the "stand" rule.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Yeah that was good. We are almost unbeatable when we bring the heat. That went right out the window last year.

Yep basically said it was 18 vs 17 for a short period of time. I’m mean we can all see that.

What a disgrace.

Just like playing GD or GK when an obstruction is called.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

What would he know. The stand rule has no impact, we've been told countless times.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Pretty sure teams are flat knackers gonna give up the aggressive forward press.

Which means a +1 or +2 down back.

One sure fire way to beat a defensive flood is to play three competitive key forwards.

Balta will start at CHF against the Blues.

Reactions: 10 users