DANIEL RIOLI | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DANIEL RIOLI

Vlossy

Tiger Rookie
Aug 22, 2014
People have been banging on about Ah Chee for a while now as they think he suits our needs. Hate to tell people but he isn't a small forward and does not play that way. Dan Rioli however does and has a lot of tricks. People want someone to excite the fans then Rioli will do this no worries at all. Yes he doesn't get many touches but he makes the most of those. He also loves to tackle and do the unthinkable. He does have very similar traits to Cyril.

This is a direct quote from the HUN article yesterday

"Rioli quickly became the flavour of the month, blitzing the vertical jump, 20m sprint, 30m repeat sprints, 3km time trial and clean hands tests."

He has speed, endurance, a jump and clean hands. Hawks are also very keen on him 3 picks after ours. Sorry but I don't see the issue with taking an educated punt on him. The name is just icing!

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
we have donr very well with our first picks in the last several years. We should have enough advise and foresight to avoid JON/Fiora type selections.

If Rioli is the one who has the skill, potential and X factor we need forward of the center then so be it lets got him.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Vlossy said:
People have been banging on about Ah Chee for a while now as they think he suits our needs. Hate to tell people but he isn't a small forward and does not play that way. Dan Rioli however does and has a lot of tricks. People want someone to excite the fans then Rioli will do this no worries at all. Yes he doesn't get many touches but he makes the most of those. He also loves to tackle and do the unthinkable. He does have very similar traits to Cyril.

"Rioli quickly became the flavour of the month, blitzing the vertical jump, 20m sprint, 30m repeat sprints, 3km time trial and clean hands tests."

He has speed, endurance, a jump and clean hands. Hawks are also very keen on him 3 picks after ours. Sorry but I don't see the issue with taking an educated punt on him. The name is just icing!

Does he get the ball?

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Tigers of Old said:
Whilst the Rioli name has had some great success and he has a fine pedigree, as others have said I just hope that our recruiters would still take him if his name was Daniel Smith.

yeah you keep banging on about this Daniel Smith bloke but remember this, Rioli is one of the country's best young small forwards regardless of his name. Do you honestly think he would of gotten this far if he wasn't? He has made the grade at every step so why in the hell do you think it is just because his name is Rioli???

I would much rather we look other places too like a Burton/Oliver but your constant name bashing is tiresome and frankly...OLD.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Vlossy said:

This sounds good.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
blx said:
yeah you keep banging on about this Daniel Smith bloke but remember this, Rioli is one of the country's best young small forwards regardless of his name.

No he's not. He has some scope, especially athletically but performance wise he's nowhere near what you claim ATM.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Vlossy said:

Fair summation Vlossy.

Leysy actually thinks his assets lend himself to half back and wouldn't be surprised if he spends time there, especially at VFL level early on.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
blx said:
yeah you keep banging on about this Daniel Smith bloke but remember this, Rioli is one of the country's best young small forwards regardless of his name. Do you honestly think he would of gotten this far if he wasn't? He has made the grade at every step so why in the hell do you think it is just because his name is Rioli???

I would much rather we look other places too like a Burton/Oliver but your constant name bashing is tiresome and frankly...OLD.
ToO raises a very valid point IMO. There will still be quality on the boards when it comes to our pick, so I really hope we are picking the best available player rather than basing it partly on someone's surname.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
blx said:

Geez Hans you need to go back to bed. Others may have but I've only mentioned this once on here.
If Francis thinks Dan's the best option then I am all for it. His record with the 1st round is pretty good & fortunately I don't believe his surname will be the deciding factor.
Wanted Ah Chee but & I'm happy for us to target more X. If Rioli is genuinely the next best in this regard then go for it.
As with all these kids there will be some risk attached and our recruiters are in the best spot to judge that..

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Tiger Pops said:
we have donr very well with our first picks in the last several years. We should have enough advise and foresight to avoid JON/Fiora type selections.

If Rioli is the one who has the skill, potential and X factor we need forward of the center then so be it lets got him.

As time has shown us, our recruiting intelligence in 1999 and 2006 was no better than 2 drunks at a pub reading phantom drafts, in fact that may have been better informed.

Since we put in place a professional recruiting team we have been as good as anyone else in identifying talent.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Obviously Dan/Blair has leaked some info to the media. It is either to throw others of what we are really upto or try and frighten another club to choose a kid before time.

But if all the hype is true and we do land Daniel Rioli then we will all love him and hope the absolute best for him.

BTW, he refers to Maurice as his grand father, but he is his great uncle. His Dad is Dean Rioli's brother.

On the Rioli's, I have spoken to a former RFC player who played alongside Maurice. He said you can't understate how good he really was and although Geoff Raines may have cracked it about losing his centreman role to Maurice, everyone else at the club knew Maurice was a far better player than Geoff in every aspect, and considering how good Geoff was it was a big call for the club to make.

Interesting thing, said one night they were doing sprint training - straight line followed by agility stuff around the cones. In a straight line Maurice was really slow. In the agility stuff he was the fastest by a long way.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
On the Daniel Smith thing, I get it. I understand the argument. But in what is viewed as an even, speculative draft, why shouldn't the Rioli name be a factor? Family culture and history are very real factors that shape who we all are, mind and body. Lets look at why this family has a good name:

3 X Norm Smith medals, 6 X Premierships, 2 X WAFL Premierships, 2 X Simpson Medals, 7 X AA, 2 X B&F, 1 X SANFL B&F, 1 X BFYP (and 1 X CABFYP), 1 X Hall of Fame, 2 X State Captaincy, and a Goal of the Year for good measure. And 2 X golden gloves state boxing titles, (and would have gone to the Olympics if not for footy)

The family is pretty well credentialed.

If you have the choice between Bill Smith jnr and Bill Gates jnr as your business adviser which one do you take?

Then there's the marketing angle....

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
If word gets out that we're taking Daniel Smith with our first pick we can blame ToO.