David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Great career David Astbury. So what would someone like Astbury be on salary wise. Just trying to work out how much we have to spend with him gone.

Thanks for everything DTLD.
I for one (even this year) always felt we were safe in defence as long as you were there.
No. 12 always reminded me of a Goal kicker.
Now it will also remind me of a Goal stopper.
A hard nut in the backline happy to put his head over the ball or his fist through it.
Thanks Legend :clap2
Triple Premiership Tiger.
End of.

Reactions: 5 users
W

We lose this week, we get investigated for tanking, nothing surer.

Haven't we already lost 6 of our last eight games including against high flyers Collingwood Suns and Saints, no I think our bona fides as an ordinary side this year will stand any scrutinization ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't we already lost 6 of our last eight games including against high flyers Collingwood Suns and Saints, no I think our bona fide as an ordinary side this year will stand any scrutinization ;)
More grounds for suspicion. It's obviously systemic.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Over-shadowed by two Team of the Century key defenders in Rance and Grimes, but Dave was a crucial and indispensable defensive rock in all three premierships. No coincidence that the four years we are the best team in the comp, are the four years where Dave's body allowed him to play full seasons. A footballer who played for his mates. He nevertheless goes out as a club legend. A humble, high-quality person who delivered on and off the ground in spades.

While I was one who thought his time was up this year, I am surprised at my sadness that this is the last time we will see him in Y&B. I am really not enjoying this end of an era stuff....

p.s. as an aside, a mate and I spent the 2017 grand final in the standing room area deep in the southern side alongside his aunty and cousins. They were a lot of fun. Just added another element to a beautiful day!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not crying you're crying!

Congrats Dave on a remarkable career of perseverance. One of the foundation blocks of our culture and a key part of possible our greatest defence in our history. Enjoy retirement big fella.

Reactions: 4 users
Was gonna just say Thanks, but that hardly seems the way to send off a bloke with the statue of Dave Astbury, who apart from us Tiger Diehards, was probably grossly undervalued, so........

To Dave, firstly and most importantly, Thank You for being what I hope all Richmond players strive to be and thats a True Richmond player at heart, and wear the jumper with pride for you and your's and the Richmond faithful.

What I loved the most from that retirement speech was the last story of his time in America and how it resonated and left a profound impact on him about what it means to be representing a huge following of supporters who live & die by their teams results every single week around the world in whatever sport it is they follow. Yep, it is only a game, yet far more than that we all know.
Having lived not far from Chicago and St Louis for over 20 years myself, I know what impact sports can have on a city and its supporters and it is immense and should never be underestimated, for a guy like Dave Astbury to totally "get that" and harness it into what would become the "stuff of legends and 3 Premierships", shows me the quality of the guy, not just as a great footballer, but as a very very good and decent humanbeing.

Glad he has decided to end it on HIS terms, every player wishes they were that lucky, enjoy life young man and know that what you were a part of will never be forgotten or underestimated, a great career and thanks for the memories.

Reactions: 16 users
Just watched the speech. Glad no one was around because it got incredibly dusty for a lot of that. Best I've ever seen.

Favorite Dave moment out so many, was watching him grab Toby Greene by the collar and having a few quiet words to him. It's the only time I've seen a genuine look of fear on Greene's face.

Thanks Dave, for everything.

Reactions: 15 users
as solid a player and backman as we've had. great mark.
speech made me like him a whole lot more.
155 games, 14 operations, and 3 premierships make for amazing stats.
congratulations Dave, i think you'll be difficult to replace.

Reactions: 6 users
Good grief. I just watched it. I've never seen and heard a better farewell speech. Highly emotional. Just so well spoken. Had tears welling up.

Strongly encourage everyone to watch it. This is what Richmond is about and who we all are.

Yeah just watched it. One of the best if not THE BEST farewell speeches I've ever seen/heard. I got very emotional watching it myself!

Such an underrated Star is Dave. Hopefully he reads all our well wishes on here.

If so, thanks Dave you are a Superstar both on and off the footy field.

We'll miss you greatly.

Reactions: 12 users
Thank you you for everything you did for Richmond. Three premierships. A remarkable achievement. Congratulations David......

Incredible speech, what an amazing human he has become and obviously flourished in a great environment at the club. Can't wait to see his next achievements. But I still don't want him to go.

Caro should take a look at that speech and what Dimma means to these players and the culture they have and currently still have at the club. An amazing speech by an amazing person.

Reactions: 16 users
Awesome speech, even better is going out on his terms! Wow just wow.
Leadership in spades.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Great speech. Just amplifies what great person Dave is.

Man, just finished blabbering like a baby, went through the tissues big time, what a great human. Has passed the torch on to the young blokes to follow how could they not be inspired.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users